• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I think people need to stop taking every post so literally. Photos were shared of a project I've delivered, hence more information was posted in relation.
Nobody is saying anything at Roots Hall will resemble this, Portsmouth or any other redevelopment project.

Every stadium is treated individually and more than likely will require a unique approach to meet the club's brief and key priorities, matched against the time and cost constraints.

With all due respect to Sherif, who said they were on a tight budget, is it only me who thinks BR's new stand is horrible?

I'm sorry but even if one of the stands at Roots Hall ends up looking like that we will have absolutely no excuse to take the p!$$ out of Col U's Meccano Stadium.

I'm putting my tin hat on now as I type...
It's not a design I like either. Looks cheap and tacky.

Looking at that, it would seem to fit perfectly where the north is now. Even the section on the left where the groundsmans but is.

If that could be incorporated all the way round to the west it would be an upgrade on the current north. I'm not sure how much it would cost to remove all of the asbestos from the roof though.
I would hope the club would go for a decent roof without the obstructed view at least.

I also agree it looks cheap, but in fairness that was the brief.

Yes, the north west corner should be for the seat fans.
Walked round the back of the north last time.
It's so so easy. All you need to pay out for is a large set of gates, to separate the rest of the north stand from the Fairfax road entrance.
The away fans can still use the existing walk to the north bank from Fairfax, but instead of turning left, they turn right.
Thete are already turnstiles there to use, a d the new big gates would separate the home from the away fans.

Anyway, if anybody has any sensible questions they can PM me.
There is little point sharing information for reference, and then having it critiqued over 5 pages of the thread - given people are still talking about moving the pitch it is clear that many don't bother reading the posts properly.
I can see why you have, but try not to get the ump mate, your posts are valued here. Its always going to be a divisive subject as SUFC and the Hall are so important to everyone.

Its hard not to look at that picture and see that BR stand at the hall and wonder why after all these years it isnt "more attractive" or "in keeping", when in reality as youve clearly mentioned you have fulfilled the brief you were given and it actually has nothing to do with us.

This idea of renovating RH is still a pretty new concept after being sold down the river for a decade for Fossets, its early days and people are getting both excited and worried lol.

I can't disclose that on here. Suffice to say the Club know about it. If they choose to listen then happy days.
Wild guess that even this design would make a major dent in the budget for the rest of the ground. Can't see a major rebuild of North and East, plus renovating West and tarting up the South coming in within the £20m kickback (if it ever comes). Have to consider the considerable demolition costs given that all the roofs of 3 stands are abestos.
Perhaps we need to limit our expectations, with the hope of being pleasantly surprised at best?

Last edited:
I think you have to look at the before photos, it's a massive improvement on what BR already had. Yeah in a perfect world I would hope we wouldn't have pillars but as has been said we have to live within our means and the designs will reflect that.

I personally love the input from you Sherif so I hope you've not been put off from sharing. Thanks!

Not much point in doing the North is there if it is for 42 away fans?
And would we want it to be seats if it was for home ultras?

What do you think every stand in the land is clad in?
Jesus. I'm glad I'm not contracting with any of you lot...
We’ve gone from non excistence within a few hours to pondering over which cladding panel system is the best on a brand new stand.🤪

Blimey I remember when someone thought FF had pillars and the **** really hit the fan. Of course it didn't. But Ron was a **** and the usual. I would be really disappointed if we redeveloped any stand and it looked like those being offered. Best in the short term I would have thought is find out what is wrong with the north stand and costs allowing fix it or indeed any of the stands.

I can see why you have, but try not to get the ump mate, your posts are valued here. Its always going to be a divisive subject as SUFC and the Hall are so important to everyone.
Yep, agree @Strykr. The opinion @Sherif H gives is from a professional's view yet he gets "expert" feedback from people who just don't read what he says & criticism from even some who do.

I opined many moons ago as to what needed to happen financially for a takeover to take place & pretty well all of those elements are part of the deal currently on the go. But then I've been a beancounter & sometimes company secretary for 45 years, so similar to Sherif I know something about what is realistic in my field. I got so fed up with pointless posts purporting to be factual or ITK I have several posters on block not because I deny their right to state "stuff" but just to defend my right not to have to read "stuff".

So @Sherif H I also value your input. As someone who has been here virtually since it's inception, although dormant for some years until recently, I sometimes think that SZ now is more SZ Lite compared with the original SZ Gold.

Back