• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I think this has been covered previously - rotating the ground is a nice idea in theory but the cost is prohibitive
Not only that, but after (assuming) the deal is finally done, the Club is reliant, to a degree, on a sizeable donation from the Rat towards refurbishment. How lucky do we feel on that front?? It all points to a). stopping the rot, and b). making improvements to what we have in the first instance.

Not only that, but after (assuming) the deal is finally done, the Club is reliant, to a degree, on a sizeable donation from the Rat towards refurbishment. How lucky do we feel on that front?? It all points to a). stopping the rot, and b). making improvements to what we have in the first instance.
Why wouldn't we get the £20m from Ron?

Because he'd do everything he can not to pay it. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

Basically people don't trust him, and with good reason.
Correct and I would hope the incoming new owners also share the same view and will be doing all they can (in law) to hold Mr Martin to this redevelopment payment. He cannot be allowed to wiggle his way out of it, as it is the very least he owes us after 20+ years chasing his dream and promising a stadium, which has almost cost us our club.

I wonder what sort of maximum capacity a renovated Roots Hall could have? 10,000? 12,000? 15,000?
You could rebuild the east stand into a 2 tier all-mod-cons stand and stick safe standing in a couple of areas to quite easily make it >25,000 if/when needed.

Didn't I read somewhere that the £20 million from Ron would actually be coming from the council and not him personally?

I think this was touched onat the EGM, that Ron would be paying the £20m, but over a period of time not in one lump. But the consortium have the funds to develop the Hall. So the timing of the £20m and the Hall development timing are not directly linked. Hope that makes sense?

I think this was touched onat the EGM, that Ron would be paying the £20m, but over a period of time not in one lump. But the consortium have the funds to develop the Hall. So the timing of the £20m and the Hall development timing are not directly linked. Hope that makes sense?
It does make sense, thanks. A shame though, as I have more confidence of it coming from the council than Ron.

It was said on the council documents that the £20m payment would be due from the developer on the profits of the proposed FF housing development, within 10 years.

Hopefully there is a way the council/consortium can hold Ron/Jack etc to this in law and or via planning (S106 etc).

The last thing all involved need to be doing is offering any way whatsoever out of this payment. Because it will be found.

It does make sense, thanks. A shame though, as I have more confidence of it coming from the council than Ron.
Exactly as Bazza said above, planning permission has a link to the release of funds to the account for the £20m. After each stage RM has to deposit funds, so the next stage can commence. That is the council's link to the project.

Actually, am I right in thinking this current council is the most supportive of the football club that has been in place? If so, long may it continue.

Exactly as Bazza said above, planning permission has a link to the release of funds to the account for the £20m. After each stage RM has to deposit funds, so the next stage can commence. That is the council's link to the project.

Actually, am I right in thinking this current council is the most supportive of the football club that has been in place? If so, long may it continue.
I think it has less to do with the administration than we think - although the two MP's would prefer to work with their own people rather than a coalition. The motion to assist the club was put forward by the Labour group. The conservatives were actually pretty slow in wanting to give support. Never-the-less support is being given...so that's a good thing.

It was said on the council documents that the £20m payment would be due from the developer on the profits of the proposed FF housing development, within 10 years.

Hopefully there is a way the council/consortium can hold Ron/Jack etc to this in law and or via planning (S106 etc).

The last thing all involved need to be doing is offering any way whatsoever out of this payment. Because it will be found.
That's worrying. Not only is Ron more than capable of making the whole project loss making through his ineptitude, but he could also make it appear so.

I hope SCC have more savvy dealing with Ron than RDC did with the developer for Hall Road.
The deal, reputedly, was after 650 houses there would be a GP surgery and money for Rochford Primary school. At 648 houses they stopped building and made a small grass area on the site. No doctor or school money.
Ron might well do a similar swerve if not nailed down tight.

The contributions to SUFC should be conditional prior to commencing each phase of the construction, and confirmed in the S.106 Agreement.
None of this after bollocks, otherwise the books will be fudged by the slippery one.

I hope SCC have more savvy dealing with Ron than RDC did with the developer for Hall Road.
The deal, reputedly, was after 650 houses there would be a GP surgery and money for Rochford Primary school. At 648 houses they stopped building and made a small grass area on the site. No doctor or school money.
Ron might well do a similar swerve if not nailed down tight.
Would hope SCC are more formidable than RDC who knew the developer never had any intention of building a surgery and school facilities for the Hall Road estate. Unsurprisingly there are no facilities being built by Bloors to cater for the 600+ overpriced / cr*ppy houses they building off Ashingdon Road.

Would hope SCC are more formidable than RDC who knew the developer never had any intention of building a surgery and school facilities for the Hall Road estate. Unsurprisingly there are no facilities being built by Bloors to cater for the 600+ overpriced / cr*ppy houses they building off Ashingdon Road.
With the feck up of Queensway sold for £1, the Kursall, free loans for councillor's family business, the non development of the slumesque town centre flats I have little confidence in SCC being "more formidable" than a fluffy 3 week old rabbit.

Back