• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Around the South Stand not a lot can be done maybe renovation and fill SW and SW corners. West Stand again maybe some new facilities at the back, serious update and new roof getting rid of the pillars.

The real opportunity is replacing with a bigger North Stand (utilising room behind especially if that bit ib the NW corner can be added) and replacing East (and that IMO would be last).

Of conundrum is that the North Stand is currently the away end. People mention using NW for away fans but that simply does not give enough capacity. If we are serious about moving up the leagues then we need at least 1k away capacity ideally 1.5k. We could build the new North Stand so it could be flexibly spit to accommodate (a la Maidstone and others). Or have a NW access that has that corner and part of the West?

I would imagine with new East and North Stands getting a 16k capacity would be achievable.

Reactions: jnl
I know its Chelsea and they are in the most different position possible to us financially, but hear me out....

After AFC Wimbledon moved out they took it over for their ladies and youth teams.

They don't appear to have spent and absolute fortune, but it's amazing what some TLC can do; new seats, a lick of paint and decorated dressing rooms etc. Something like this, with a new East Stand would be ideal?

http://www.lowegroup.co.uk/private/...tadium-renovation-kingsmeadow-stadium-updated

View attachment 29756View attachment 29757View attachment 29758

This jumped out at me - I do hope that our wheelchair using fans are specifically thought about and not as an afterthought.

Externally, we created a new ticket office and an accessible viewing area for wheelchair users has received a new shelter to protect fans from the elements

This jumped out at me - I do hope that our wheelchair using fans are specifically thought about and not as an afterthought.

Externally, we created a new ticket office and an accessible viewing area for wheelchair users has received a new shelter to protect fans from the elements
Cheers Pete, he also left with a scarf that Justin gave him so he is well chuffed. Others in the Consortium also were keen to get his views on what problems face disabled supporters in and around RH at the present and asked if he would like to be involved when they look to improve things going forward. Really engaged with him which was great.
As per a previous post of mine Defo in the pipeline, my lad uses a wheelchair and transfers to front of East Yellow. Justin was unhappy to hear allocated wheelchair spaces at rear of West.

I know its Chelsea and they are in the most different position possible to us financially, but hear me out....

After AFC Wimbledon moved out they took it over for their ladies and youth teams.

They don't appear to have spent and absolute fortune, but it's amazing what some TLC can do; new seats, a lick of paint and decorated dressing rooms etc. Something like this, with a new East Stand would be ideal?

http://www.lowegroup.co.uk/private/...tadium-renovation-kingsmeadow-stadium-updated

View attachment 29756View attachment 29757View attachment 29758
Compared to RH it’s a very small ground and requires far less upkeep. Have you ever been there?

As per a previous post of mine Defo in the pipeline, my lad uses a wheelchair and transfers to front of East Yellow. Justin was unhappy to hear allocated wheelchair spaces at rear of West.

That's brilliant - assume easier access from the Blue seats end of the East Stand from the car park before getting round to the Yellow seats for BM Junior?

As stated by me and others, the West Stand entrance worries me for able-bodied supporters let alone for those needing assistance.

All our welcome at the House of Shrimpers.

That's brilliant - assume easier access from the Blue seats end of the East Stand from the car park before getting round to the Yellow seats for BM Junior?

As stated by me and others, the West Stand entrance worries me for able-bodied supporters let alone for those needing assistance.

All our welcome at the House of Shrimpers.
Yes he comes through the North East Gate, along to Yellows, gets out of chair at the pitch side gate, fortunately he has some balance and short walk capabilities. Stewards store wheelchair until needed. He has a mate, also a wheelchair chair user, sits near him and does the same. Good view for them, both ST holders but obviously access to toilets a bit of mission, negotiates stairs, with help, up to what I believe is supposedly the allotted loo for the press. Still a better experience than in West for him though. He has used the East since a 5 Yr old, 30 now and he originally went there because at the time Dave Jobson didn't want wheelchair users in the West as he wasn't happy that was the safest or quickest place to get them out in an emergency!

It's going to be very interesting to see what plans come forward once takeover is complete.
Perhaps they should do a competition x amount per entry , they provide some templates to print out ! and guidelines to what may or may not be possible.
Let us see all the wierd and wonderful plus pragmatic cost effective ideas and have some fun with it...

https://democracy.southend.gov.uk/documents/s46968/1. Existing Site Plan 1-500 - 2188-00-DR-0001 rev P02.pdf

If you get a bit of paper or something and get it to the length of the pitch. Then rotate East to West as BluBayou says, with the pitch starting at the West Stand, then you have to take out the East stand to fit the pitch in. So you would have to build a new East Stand encroaching on the car park. Then you need space for supporters to enter that stand. So it would take up about half the car park. Not a good idea in my opinion.
East / West lineup does not work in Summer time or sunny days.
Goalkeepers can't see.

About 15 years ago I went to an evening meal and awards function at Exeter Chiefs Rugby Club stadium and was very impressed by the facilities. I had a brief look at the grandstand and that was good too, maybe smaller capacity than we would want for a new East Stand BUT something like that, off the peg, would, imo, be a real good fit for The Hall.
I am sure there are other examples of a stand in use that would also be quick and easier er solution for us than a bespoke, and cheaper.

I wonder what sort of maximum capacity a renovated Roots Hall could have? 10,000? 12,000? 15,000?

Or is Roots Hall just a five to ten year stopgap while another site for a new stadium is found?
I'd be happy with 12-15000 which is why, in a way, I'm happy that we're now thinking we'll stay at roots hall. We go (or at least we used to) to so many nice stadiums that teams can't fill - the atmosphere is awful.

I wonder if there's the option to move the whole ground slightly towards Victoria Avenue, which would get round the problem of the West Stand being an island. Would have to be done in stages with the East Stand first. Or even rotating the ground 90 degrees so it fits in its plot better. Ag guessing money may be an object.

I'd also be keen to know what turning the south bank back to standing would do to the capacity. Do we know what % of our fans would stand if they could?

I'd be happy with 12-15000 which is why, in a way, I'm happy that we're now thinking we'll stay at roots hall. We go (or at least we used to) to so many nice stadiums that teams can't fill - the atmosphere is awful.

I wonder if there's the option to move the whole ground slightly towards Victoria Avenue, which would get round the problem of the West Stand being an island. Would have to be done in stages with the East Stand first. Or even rotating the ground 90 degrees so it fits in its plot better. Ag guessing money may be an object.

I'd also be keen to know what turning the south bank back to standing would do to the capacity. Do we know what % of our fans would stand if they could?
I think this has been covered previously - rotating the ground is a nice idea in theory but the cost is prohibitive

Reactions: RHB

I don't think moving the pitch would be financially viable (I'm not an expert in the field).

The only standing we can consider is safe standing, and that works out to a ratio of 1:1 with seated, so no gain.

Back