• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Added to your point, I would also like to know how they plan on cheating physics and find the space for a ground the same size as RH (let alone a larger one).

I mentioned this a few months ago. There isn't enough space if rotating the pitch.
Sorry, I know this is a point that has been made before. I have reviewed the aerial image and believe it could be done.
Although admittedly it wouldn't be worth it and you would have main stands with a similar depth to this 😁 (unless club buys neighbouring land):

1698689852003.png

1698689891102.png

id get the north bank sorted first ,surely we can rip out the seats at this level and have safe standing get the w block further round the corner ,that then lowers the gridlock in the west
then make that walkway at the back wider its to narrow and now that the stayaway fans are returning its a nightmare trying to get by youths standing about and blocking access to the toilet's etc

Oi.

Why don’t we get the older generation of the west stand to go and sit in the northwest corner and the north stand, and leave block W & X exactly where it is.
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind an older person behind the west stand when you rushing to get you seat. :Smile:

You’re missing the additional cost of renting another stadium to play at whilst this work is done. Given the closest would likely be somewhere like Dagenham/Orient you’d end up with lower revenue coming in at a time when your costs are going through the roof.

Your costs are also incurred at once rather than an incremental development with each stage funding the next.

You wouldn't catch me setting foot in either of those two stadiums to watch the blues.

Maybe canvey, billericay or wakering etc but anything beyond that and it's a no from me.

I'd just do away games.

If the pitch was rotated then you could build and new East stand in the car park without touching the stadium or renting another. Nock the old east down at the end of season then race to have a pitch extended before the next season.
That's right. There wouldn't even be that much urgency because we would still have a 9,500 operational capacity from the N, S & W stands. At the point we have completed our pitch extension we will have an L shaped grassed area. Then we simply switch to a N, E & W configuration. It'll only take a day to redraw the pitch markings.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnl
I think those who are advocating rotating the pitch by 90 degrees are ignoring several practical difficulties.

Firstly, rotating the pitch would involve a complex planning application. How long would that take? Simply renovating stands may not require planning permission. Even if new stands are built, if they are similar to the existing stands, planning would be relatively easy, if needed at all.

To lay a new pitch where the east stand is and into the car park is not a simple job. Not only would the east stand need demolishing first, the current foundations of the east stand would need excavating. Neither a quick, simple or cheap job. The car park must also have considerable base material that would need removing before you could even start constructing a pitch.

Thirdly, with the excavations needed, once soil was down on which a pitch could be laid, it would need time to settle before putting any turf down. If this did not occur, you could literally have a step in the pitch between the new and established parts of the pitch.

Whilst no expert, I can imagine all the above could lead to a minimum of a two year time scale from the date worked
commenced.

We certainly don't want to get into complex Planning Applications. I am pretty sure that whatever needs doing to increase revenue streams will happen first. This almost certainly will include any remedial work elsewhere in the ground to restore at least some of the capacity. I believe for the moment that is around the 7500 to 8000 mark.

Let's just get the Takeover over the line and listen to what Justin and the Consortium have planned, they will be realistic and affordable. The Council have been supportive so far and I am sure that support will continue.

I know its Chelsea and they are in the most different position possible to us financially, but hear me out....

After AFC Wimbledon moved out they took it over for their ladies and youth teams.

They don't appear to have spent and absolute fortune, but it's amazing what some TLC can do; new seats, a lick of paint and decorated dressing rooms etc. Something like this, with a new East Stand would be ideal?

http://www.lowegroup.co.uk/private/...tadium-renovation-kingsmeadow-stadium-updated

IMG_3897.jpegIMG_3898.jpegIMG_3903.jpeg

Last edited:
I know its Chelsea and they are in the most different position possible to us financially, but hear me out....

After AFC Wimbledon moved out they took it over for their ladies and youth teams.

They don't appear to have spent and absolute fortune, but it's amazing what some TLC can do; new seats, a lick of paint and decorated dressing rooms etc. Something like this, with a new East Stand would be ideal?

http://www.lowegroup.co.uk/private/...tadium-renovation-kingsmeadow-stadium-updated

View attachment 29756View attachment 29757View attachment 29758
Since the news about the CC lounge I've been trying to imagine what a Roots Hall redevelopment that's a lot more in this vein would look like, using mostly if not completely what you already have. Safe to say Kingsmeadow was probably a much better starting point than Roots Hall.

Back