• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
No knowledge on building or current itemized costs of our current ground but it occurs to me our biggest ground related costs each year at the moment will be maintaining the east stand and trying to keep it operational (arguably it isn't actually fit for purpose even once a H&S certificate is issued each year).
For this reason, when it comes to which stand to do first, if we manage to to get that stage, it's got to be the east for me. This stems the outlay each year that gets sunk into trying to keep it going. Otherwise, if we do the others first, regardless of how minimal the changes might be, we will still be throwing a big chunk down the east stand drain until it's done while trying to do up the others

The costs of what I'm proposing are made up of:

The building of a simple East End stand largely consisting of cement on an earth bank, like the old South bank

Laying one third of a football pitch.

Dismantling the South stand structure. This would be nothing like as expensive as demolishing the concrete East Stand.

Converting the West and North to safe standing. Even this is optional.

The sum of the above is not a huge cost.

The cost of demolishing the East stand and building a new main stand doesn't count because it is already discussed widely on SZ and accepted as necessary. The validity of what I propose should be judged only on the additional costs listed above.
You’re missing the additional cost of renting another stadium to play at whilst this work is done. Given the closest would likely be somewhere like Dagenham/Orient you’d end up with lower revenue coming in at a time when your costs are going through the roof.

Your costs are also incurred at once rather than an incremental development with each stage funding the next.

What ever is decided for ba revamp of the grand old lady.I am sure plans are a foot And its gong to take time to do .As justin says its a five year plain And as we all know rome wasnt built in a day .What ever get done it will be far better than a concret cold new griund at fossetts .

You’re missing the additional cost of renting another stadium to play at whilst this work is done. Given the closest would likely be somewhere like Dagenham/Orient you’d end up with lower revenue coming in at a time when your costs are going through the roof.

Your costs are also incurred at once rather than an incremental development with each stage funding the next.

If the pitch was rotated then you could build and new East stand in the car park without touching the stadium or renting another. Nock the old east down at the end of season then race to have a pitch extended before the next season.

Reactions: jnl
People keep mentioning rotating the pitch 90%, can they please let me know where we will be playing our games for the season (possible more) that it would take to do this?

If we are planning to knock down and rebuild every stand we might as well look for somewhere to build a new stadium again.

People keep mentioning rotating the pitch 90%, can they please let me know where we will be playing our games for the season (possible more) that it would take to do this?

If we are planning to knock down and rebuild every stand we might as well look for somewhere to build a new stadium again.
Added to your point, I would also like to know how they plan on cheating physics and find the space for a ground the same size as RH (let alone a larger one).

I mentioned this a few months ago. There isn't enough space if rotating the pitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 13.05.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 13.05.06.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 79
Added to your point, I would also like to know how they plan on cheating physics and find the space for a ground the same size as RH (let alone a larger one).

I mentioned this a few months ago. There isn't enough space if rotating the pitch.

There is enough space but it would be ideal if they bough that derelict industrial site to the South West

You are right, the vast majority of stadiums from the PL downwards have very little car parking space if any at all.
Yes ,we definitely shouldn’t be encouraging people to drive into anywhere near any city centre.
If some limited parking — for handicapped fans ?—was deemed necessary, a small multi-storey wouldn’t take up much room from the extra east side space where we need to build extensively.
I also think we don’t need the wide passageway behind the north stand.A new 2-tier stand could seat both home and away fans there,with access from Fairfax Drive only for the latter.

Also if we could obtain the property no. 99 that looks to be in the north west corner.

If we were to get this then we could extend the north stand back further making for more capacity.
The number is shown upside down on the site plan its actually 66 Fairfax Drive.

:Thumbs up:

I'm pretty sure that that piece of land was owned by SUFC at one time and was sold off by Vic Jobson. Wasnt there a large shed/club house on it used by a supporters group called The True Blues? They were anti Jobson / the move to Basildon so he chucked them out.

Am I making all this up?

The number is shown upside down on the site plan its actually 66 Fairfax Drive.

:Thumbs up:

I'm pretty sure that that piece of land was owned by SUFC at one time and was sold off by Vic Jobson. Wasnt there a large shed/club house on it used by a supporters group called The True Blues? They were anti Jobson / the move to Basildon so he chucked them out.

Am I making all this up?
I am not 100% sure but you may well be right about the True Blues group. Before that in the early sixties I think the unit was used by Southend Rugby or maybe hockey club. Someone on here may well know if that is correct.

I am not 100% sure but you may well be right about the True Blues group. Before that in the early sixties I think the unit was used by Southend Rugby or maybe hockey club. Someone on here may well know if that is correct.
Ah, yes the Rugby / Hockey club thing sounds familiar. Then the True Blues or whatever. 👍

id get the north bank sorted first ,surely we can rip out the seats at this level and have safe standing get the w block further round the corner ,that then lowers the gridlock in the west
then make that walkway at the back wider its to narrow and now that the stayaway fans are returning its a nightmare trying to get by youths standing about and blocking access to the toilet's etc

Back