• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
This would be the result. The new East End plot is based on the 2,900 capacity Oxford Utd East Stand. The depth of the new South Side stand is based on the 5,026 capacity Oxford Utd North Stand. Their stand is shorter than our pitch length so the 5,500 capacity I suggested could be achievable.

View attachment 29742
Looking at the boundaries shown in post #44, it looks to me that we dont own most of the land that the present South Stand is on. If that is the case, we might be stuck with the South Stand as it is. I'm sure the consortium will look at all options.

Nice ideas but think it’s completely unfeasible because of the time it would take to demolish existing structures, excavate the land to provide a flat pitch, lay that pitch etc.

Let alone the cost.

We’d never be able to do that during the close season

Far better to listen to what Sherif has suggested and do something similar to Portsmouth.

Nice ideas but think it’s completely unfeasible because of the time it would take to demolish existing structures, excavate the land to provide a flat pitch, lay that pitch etc.

Let alone the cost.

We’d never be able to do that during the close season

Far better to listen to what Sherif has suggested and do something similar to Portsmouth.

yes, but it is a good idea all the same to see persons views of what could be achieved if we did have a substantial amount of money to spend on Roots hall.

yes, but it is a good idea all the same to see persons views of what could be achieved if we did have a substantial amount of money to spend on Roots hall.
Even if we had the money I suspect we’d have to play elsewhere for a big chunk of the season as we couldn’t get a rotated pitch playable quickly and even then the stands wouldn’t line up with the new pitch so we wouldn’t have the capacity until new ones were built.

Interesting hypothetically and something that was proposed years ago when Vic Jonson was chairman. However not grounded in reality.

What did you think of my idea of knocking down and building a new stand about every 5 years if possible financially?

Tbh. I really don't think much can be done with the south or west stands other than renovation ie new seat and maybe a new roof for the west. Behind the stand itself could be completely refurbished to make way for better toilets, catering and bar etc.

The north and east could be completely rebuilt and attached like the west is attached now. The north would not need to be massive. 2500k would suffice for any away support.

It's the east stand that has all of the scope but I think should be undertaken last.

When all of the rest of the hall is updated and renovated, there will then be space and facilities to cope for a season or two without the east stand.

Do the east first and crowds will drop due to the facilities, or lack of elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new consortium feel is achievable and think there will be changes for the better from the off. What they are, I havent a clue.

Fwiw I'd be interested to know the footprint of roots hall against the New York stadium Rotherham, which in my opinion is a great stadium.

Would be amazing to completely rebuild on the current site and something like that didn't take long to build.

From an old fans perspective, rotating the ground makes zero sense. The overarching appeal of this plan is that roots hall albeit significantly upgraded would more or less remain roots hall.

Rotate it and change the perspective etc makes no sense to me, prob better off selling the prime real estate and building something new elsewhere aka ronworld.

Last edited:
Even if cost was negligible, I don’t understand why some people are obsessed with rotating the pitch 90° when the current orientation accords with design recommendations for football stadia endorsed by FIFA as shown in the diagram below. With the greatest of respect to everyone, Sherif is professionally involved with stadium projects and should therefore be the man whose advice is regarded.1979-Pitch-Orientation.jpg

I don't know what the fascination is with car parking. Most of the large stadiums in Australia have very little parking. For instance in Perth our 60,000 seater stadium only has enough car parking for disabled (you must be registered with the team you support to get a permit, you would need to virtually be wheelchair bound to be accepted.) and corporates, approximately 400 spaces. Everyone else has to get public transport or walk there. Saying that your ticket to the game or event does include your public transport here in Perth.

I don't know what the fascination is with car parking. Most of the large stadiums in Australia have very little parking. For instance in Perth our 60,000 seater stadium only has enough car parking for disabled (you must be registered with the team you support to get a permit, you would need to virtually be wheelchair bound to be accepted.) and corporates, approximately 400 spaces. Everyone else has to get public transport or walk there. Saying that your ticket to the game or event does include your public transport here in Perth.
I suspect public transport in Perth is a tad better than it is in Southend.

I’ve been thinking about it this. Surely the way to go is something along the lines of the below. Don’t forget there’s also currently a big gap between North Bank and East Stand ie unused capacity)

1) Cosmetic overhaul of East Stand corporate and fan facilities

2) Demolish the North leaving the NW corner (which clearly needs repairs at the same time).

3) the design for the rebuild of the North needs to be such that at some stage the East can be demolished and plugged in.

4) the North to have Corporate Hospitaiity/Boxes etc (I think Palace did this when upgrading SP)

5) rebuild the East

6) there’s also scope to find some way of integrating the new East with the South and again there is unused space currently in the South East corner.

I would see that as a 6-8 year project and potentially provide capacity of around 18,000 especially if some area was set aside for safe standing.

Ok pick your holes!!!

I’ve been thinking about it this. Surely the way to go is something along the lines of the below. Don’t forget there’s also currently a big gap between North Bank and East Stand ie unused capacity)

2) Demolish the North leaving the NW corner (which clearly needs repairs at the same time).

3) the design for the rebuild of the North needs to be such that at some stage the East can be demolished and plugged in.

4) the North to have Corporate Hospitaiity/Boxes etc (I think Palace did this when upgrading SP)

5) rebuild the East

6) there’s also scope to find some way of integrating the new East with the South and again there is unused space currently in the South East corner.

I would see that as a 6-8 year project and potentially provide capacity of around 18,000 especially if some area was set aside for safe standing.

Ok pick your holes!!!
Roots Hall is one of few grounds these days that has a meaningful car park for fans. It is, however, well served by trains and buses so if we were to lose it not sure that would be a big deal.

5) rebuild the East

Ok pick your holes!!!
You might want to consider rewording that.

Looks like at lot of people have become tunnel visioned with what can be done and what should be done......With any refurb its only when you get bold that you make real improvements and add some value.

Cosmetic make overs of the east stand is money down the drain. Just to restore ourselves to our traditional 65th place, yo-yo L1/L2 position will take some serious panning and some serious coin. Clean toilets and some emoltion on the far post artex is all well and good but wont bring in single extra penny. It will need more than beer tent with guest real ale or two.

To pass any current/future fire regs in the east, proper exits, wider stairs and wider corridors etc You could easily spend £2-3m.

If car park space has to go there so what?....BluBayou makes some good points. So don't dismiss any ideas put forward because nothing has been decided yet and all plans should be open to adjustment.

You are right, the vast majority of stadiums from the PL downwards have very little car parking space if any at all.

Reactions: jnl
Even if cost was negligible, I don’t understand why some people are obsessed with rotating the pitch 90° when the current orientation accords with design recommendations for football stadia endorsed by FIFA as shown in the diagram below. With the greatest of respect to everyone, Sherif is professionally involved with stadium projects and should therefore be the man whose advice is regarded.
This partial rotation would solve one of the major East Stand issues, which is the sun when it is low in sky. Might this also be an issue with rotating the pitch fully? Having said that I suspect it will stay as it is.

I would think updating the players facilities and hospitality provision would be a priority, which suggests an East Stand development of some description maybe? I quite like this game of 'fantasy stadium'.

This partial rotation would solve one of the major East Stand issues, which is the sun when it is low in sky. Might this also be an issue with rotating the pitch fully? Having said that I suspect it will stay as it is.

I would think updating the players facilities and hospitality provision would be a priority, which suggests an East Stand development of some description maybe? I quite like this game of 'fantasy stadium'.
The sun is a programme seller 😄

Roots Hall is one of few grounds these days that has a meaningful car park for fans. It is, however, well served by trains and buses so if we were to lose it not sure that would be a big deal.
It may have, however, has anyone tried to get parking. Each time I have tried I have been told it is not available and cannot be booked???

5) rebuild the East

Ok pick your holes!!!
Why would this make a difference? Safe standing, as far as I am aware, doesn't provide for more attendance... safe standing is a 1:1 ratio with normal seating.

Back