• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Turn it into a car park for anybody, not just hospital staff
If you make it anybody it maybe difficult to prevent people parking in what would then be a public space, whereas if you make it exclusively for hospital staff your more or less guaranteed a regular income /payment from the hospital staff

The car park already is used for non match day parking, signs on top half of the car park to pay by phone presumubly for Prittlewell commuters...well at least it was a few months ago.

Sadly the ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme has come back to bite pubs further down the line.

The heaps of ‘free’ money it threw into the economy is a contributor to the inflation we see now. It’s been talked about by various landlords including one I know personally.

This goes without mentioning the obvious energy price hikes, larger suppliers wanting to protect their margins, prohibitive alcohol duties, etc.

I don’t blame the pubs to be honest, if you value your local IMO you should still go and buy a couple if you can. Another pub gone this week, Woodmans Arms in Thundersley.
Sorry for the thread divert but seeing that The Woodmans has closed down came as a bit of a shock. My dad used to drink in there years ago before I was even born (1965) that's a real shame.

As a 5 yr old (or around that time (mid 60s), I was left in the car while my dad had a drink in the golden lion. I don't recall ever going in there.

What to do with Roots Hall?. The best result will come from dreaming first and then addressing the practicalities.

We don’t have pots of money, the East stand will need replacing, the South stand is too small.

So:

Anchor the pitch in the NW corner but rotate 90 degrees so the pitch runs East-West. Build a new East End stand on the car park, accessible for away supporters via the lower car park entrance

Retain the West and North bank structures. Extend the existing north bank to run the full length of the new E-W pitch. The redundant south section of the west stand can be converted to much needed rest and catering facilities. Convert the West End and North Side to high density safe standing.

Demolish the South stand and build a new South Side stand alongside the new E-W pitch. This will open up access between Shakespeare Drive and the car park

Capacity:

West End (standing) 4,000

North Side (standing) 3,500 + possible upper North tier seating (2,500)

East End (away seating) 3,000 + possible upper East tier seating (2,000)

South Side 5,500

Initial Total Capacity 16,000 with possible expansion to 20,500

This new RH will have something for everyone.

The West End will become our new kop for our ultras. The North side will be for the more mature ultra. The ground will retain its character and atmosphere.

The South stand can be two levels, separated by exec boxes. The lower level will be bread-and-butter seating only slightly more spacious than our existing East stand. The upper South side stand can be more exclusive, with spacious padded seats and prawn sandwiches.

The original RH saw less than 30% of the crowd choosing to sit. Go to an Isthmian league fixture now, where both seating and standing are still available, and that preference still applies.

The differential cost of all this is not so great. A new main stand is a given so the extra cost will be for the one third of a pitch needed for the rotation, plus the East End stand. The East End stand can be partially dug into the raised earth of the car park. It doesn’t need complex construction. The Sid Broomfield method will work, i.e., planks of wood and a cement mixer.

The Trust can be tasked with funding the extended North side. The fans managed to fund a whole new stadium in 1955 so this North bank extension must be fundable by the fans.

What to do with Roots Hall?. The best result will come from dreaming first and then addressing the practicalities.

We don’t have pots of money, the East stand will need replacing, the South stand is too small.

So:

Anchor the pitch in the NW corner but rotate 90 degrees so the pitch runs East-West. Build a new East End stand on the car park, accessible for away supporters via the lower car park entrance

Retain the West and North bank structures. Extend the existing north bank to run the full length of the new E-W pitch. The redundant south section of the west stand can be converted to much needed rest and catering facilities. Convert the West End and North Side to high density safe standing.

Demolish the South stand and build a new South Side stand alongside the new E-W pitch. This will open up access between Shakespeare Drive and the car park

Capacity:

South Side 5,500

The West End will become our new kop for our ultras. The North side will be for the more mature ultra. The ground will retain its character and atmosphere.

The South stand can be two levels, separated by exec boxes. The lower level will be bread-and-butter seating only slightly more spacious than our existing East stand. The upper South side stand can be more exclusive, with spacious padded seats and prawn sandwiches.

The original RH saw less than 30% of the crowd choosing to sit. Go to an Isthmian league fixture now, where both seating and standing are still available, and that preference still applies.

The differential cost of all this is not so great. A new main stand is a given so the extra cost will be for the one third of a pitch needed for the rotation, plus the East End stand. The East End stand can be partially dug into the raised earth of the car park. It doesn’t need complex construction. The Sid Broomfield method will work, i.e., planks of wood and a cement mixer.

The Trust can be tasked with funding the extended North side. The fans managed to fund a whole new stadium in 1955 so this North bank extension must be fundable by the fans.
Aaaaaargh!!!
:Scared::Scared::Scared::Scared::Scared::Scared:

So:

Capacity:

South Side 5,500

That all sounds like £20Million minimum. We haven't got the oil Sheiks on board. The new consortium are investing enough just to keep us alive. Then they have the loss each month to contend with. so no chance of your suggestion. The best chance is to replace a stand about every 5 years, and that will depend how the team and club is doing. Unless some new investor comes in with untold £Millions to throw away.

That all sounds like £20Million minimum. We haven't got the oil Sheiks on board. The new consortium are investing enough just to keep us alive. Then they have the loss each month to contend with. so no chance of your suggestion. The best chance is to replace a stand about every 5 years, and that will depend how the team and club is doing. Unless some new investor comes in with untold £Millions to throw away.
I haven't seen a RH suggestion yet that doesn't include a new East stand so a financial challenge to my suggestion should exclude the East stand (i.e., my suggested South side stand) and just focus on the differential cost of the idea. Laying one third of a football pitch and building a basic East End stand partially supported by earth banking isn't an extra £20 million.

I understand my suggestion will be challenged but I think it's a good idea to look at some of the outlier ideas in case there is a valuable solution being over-looked.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a RH suggestion yet that doesn't include a new East stand so a financial challenge to my idea should exclude the East stand and just focus on the differential cost of the idea. Laying one third of a football pitch and building a basic East End stand partially supported by earth banking isn't an extra £20 million.

I understand my idea will be challenged but I think it's a good idea to look at some of the outlier ideas in case there is valuable solution being over-looked.
You said the East Stand will need replacing. You said demolish the South Stand, and build a new South Side Stand. Do you know the cost of demolition nowadays? It's astronomical. I have a relative in the business. The cost of disposing all the materials for those stands is a fortune. You're probably looking at quite a few £Million just for demolition, removal and disposing. Before you even start to build two new stands.

You said the East Stand will need replacing. You said demolish the South Stand, and build a new South Side Stand. Do you know the cost of demolition nowadays? It's astronomical. I have a relative in the business. The cost of disposing all the materials for those stands is a fortune. You're probably looking at quite a few £Million just for demolition, removal and disposing. Before you even start to build two new stands
There have been many other RH suggestions that include demolishing and building a new East stand. That is almost the base case for developing RH. The only additional demolition cost in my suggestion is for the demolition of the existing south stand. Money will have to be spent on redeveloping RH. The validity of my suggestion rests on the additional costs it will incur, and then to see whether the benefits associated with the additional cost are worth the additional cost. The cost of demolishing the East stand and building a new main stand is not an additional cost to my suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnl
Dread to think how much asbestos is in the structure from the time it was built! Any alterations will create huge disturbance of it and cost an awful lot to deal with. Doing it a stand at a time makes it dearer surely, but I realise there's little choice.
For me, first things first , would be ...
Hot and cold water supply for showers toilets and catering.
Basic clean functioning toilets with soap
deep clean all areas and derust\derot all areas and maintain
Paint job superficially until new build starts similar to CC lounge plans

Sorry for the thread divert but seeing that The Woodmans has closed down came as a bit of a shock. My dad used to drink in there years ago before I was even born (1965) that's a real shame.
It was a decent pub in those days. Last time I went there they didn’t have any draught bitter . Not surprised it’s closed.

Last edited:
There have been many other RH suggestions that include demolishing and building a new East stand. That is almost the base case for developing RH. The only additional demolition cost in my suggestion is for the demolition of the existing south stand. Money will have to be spent on redeveloping RH. The validity of my suggestion rests on the additional costs it will incur, and then to see whether the benefits associated with the additional cost are worth the additional cost. The cost of demolishing the East stand and building a new main stand is not an additional cost to my suggestion.
There is no validity in your suggestion because, for the umpteenth time, there is insufficient room to swing the pitch by 90°. At best you'd end up with north and south stands running the length of the pitch no deeper than the current south stand!

There is no validity in your suggestion because, for the umpteenth time, there is insufficient room to swing the pitch by 90°. At best you'd end up with north and south stands running the length of the pitch no deeper than the current south stand!
There is ample room to extend the existing North Bank structure. There would be more space behind an extended North Bank than there is behind the existing North bank foot print !. I'm not talking about building a new North Bank stand.

Also, the position of the new south side pitch line would run in a line extending from the existing Shakespeare drive entrance. There is ample room behind that line to build a new South Side stand.

1698591638206.jpeg

Reactions: jnl
Back