• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I'm sorry but how much training do you need to pour hot water into a plastic cup with the hot chocolate/coffee etc already in the bottom and stir it.
With hot chocolate in particular, there's a definite knack, and it is about getting the balance right. You should mix it with hot water to a smooth paste then top up with a mix of hot and a little cold. Some of the youngsters serving really don't have a scooby.

There should be strong bonds with all the local custodians of business Whith in the area I’m sure weekly each boozer can have a guest slot /pop up type stall in the wider fans park if that’s what the club choose to do . Ps true trust should buy one of the pubs - that way the legacy lives on generating money weekly for generations to come .. dwellings upstairs for the youth players etc etc a real community asset brought by the fans

Absolutely. As someone who uses the pubs frequently on match days, I’d hate to see them disappear.

Anything that builds a stronger bond with the club/fans, will be good for business.

Absolutely. As someone who uses the pubs frequently on match days, I’d hate to see them disappear.

Anything that builds a stronger bond with the club/fans, will be good for business.
Theres naturally going to be two camps. People such as yourself will still favour the pubs, and someone like me who never does may be convinced to spend some money at the hall. So it wont necessarily be loss of income as ive never been to the pubs before a game. But might spend some cash at the hall if theres something good.

I wouldnt consider buying any refreshments as it stands, too naff and overpriced, doesnt even enter my mind.

For me its key to make more family friendly stuff in the ground, take the kids early and tie it in with a late lunch etc.

Anything thats offered could be split between a family type environment and an adults one.

Without being too cold about it, people will vote with their feet and tbh id rather the money went to the club. I dont know how any pubs are surviving given the price of the drinks. I just feel like ive been majorly ripped off every time i buy a drink these days.

Last edited:
I'm sure fulham used to share there away end with home fans without segregation..... that must of been fun. Not sure how they used to get away with it and that's premier league.
Actually, no. They had and have a space between the two separated by one of those tarpaulin thingies.
I do remember when the entire Putney End (6,300) was given over to away fans many moons ago. The visitors? Leyton Orient, would you believe?

Chelsea and Spurs yes, behind the goal. Though only half way along.
Spurs put away fans in a corner. Doesn't go behind a goal. To be honest I've never understood why clubs give away fans a space behind a goal, just gives their side encouragement when kicking that way. I can't speak for all of them but I think pretty much all Prem clubs put away fans in a corner? That can change for cup games I believe where away fans often get a bigger allocation but for leagues games thats usually the case. Best to put them wherever minimizes their ability to motivate their team.

Untrue.
There wont always be people who drink in theses pubs.
If the club had moved from Roots Hall. All three would/could have closed down, as there main revenue comes from the footie.
I care about keeping part of our National Treasure. Pubs, nearly as much as i do about Southend United.
Southend could easy maximise revenue, and i have banged on about it for years, just ask your local brewery to stock there beer, instead of getting into contacts with National concerns.
Yes i do work for one of those local brewerys. Plus i have arranged Beer Festival before in Shrimpers Bar,
Just ask a example ask Brighton. How much money it brings in.
Albion have a deal with Heineken and Harvey's I think.

There is also the consideration of how many away fans we want to accommodate. If we get back to L1 or even the championship (I’m allowed to dream) then we regularly play sides who will bring given the chance 1-2k. And that also plays a big part in atmosphere. If they just had the NW corner what’s the max that would be accommodated??
The good old days of the championship all the away coaches lined up prittlewell chase

I’m wondering if the club will go along the lines of building/rebuilding one stand per season, that could be feasible. Naturally there will be disruption (I take it the NL rules will not permit a ban on away fans during such construction?).

Would be good to see local Breweries feature in any new bars, like LOS, Wakering and Black Rock (IIIRC? - the one up Aviation Way).

The good old days of the championship all the away coaches lined up prittlewell chase
I remember going to Grimsby and we had what seemed like 14 coaches going. People in Grimsby were coming out of shops to see the line of coaches going past on the way to the ground.

Back