• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Just out of interest where do Premier$hite clubs house the away fans. Surely not behind a goal?
Yup! At Fuham, they have a part of the Putney End; at Chelsea - part of The Shed; at QPR (yeah, I know where they are now) the School End.
At Newcastle, high up in the Leazes; at Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal etc - they all have a bit of behind the goal.

What about the away in the south lower,
could we not build some steps from the back of the stand and up into the road behind the stand where the flats are somehow.

I've made the point about the logistical complexities of using the South for away fans a few times, but people still chose to ignore it in favour of blind sentiment about the North Bank...

There is an understandable emotional connection to the North Bank from one generation of fans.

However, it has been opened up to home fans on a few occasions in the past 15 years and it hasn't really been a roaring success to be honest. I don't think fans under 30 see it as their spiritual home in the same way, and they are the ones that create the atmosphere.

Personally I think the South Upper is the best view in the ground and I don't agree with giving it over to away fans.

There is an understandable emotional connection to the North Bank from one generation of fans.

However, it has been opened up to home fans on a few occasions in the past 15 years and it hasn't really been a roaring success to be honest. I don't think fans under 30 see it as their spiritual home in the same way, and they are the ones that create the atmosphere.

Personally I think the South Upper is the best view in the ground and I don't agree with giving it over to away fans.
It isn't feasible to give it to away fans whether sentiment is a factor or otherwise. It is simply impossible to segregate either tier without major surgery.

If the north bank is renovated, will it still be as loud ? What gives it that noise projection, is it the low roof? South stand doesnt sound very noisy with its low roof..
Currently the north bank is so loud with 100 fans its crazy, i could only imagine what the Blue Voice would do in there, lift the place off its foundations i reckon.
Yes i'm a North bank 80's exile, but i dont hark back to getting in the there for nostalgia, its all about the atmosphere.

It’s amazing how many people think they know better than someone who literally does this every day and has experience across dozens of grounds!

Out of interest, what do you think of the idea of housing away fans at the opposite (West) end of a refurbished north bank and into and around the North West corner?

There is a handy slope that would allow access/egress to that corner of the ground and the gates that currently separate the main car park from the back of the North Stand could just be moved 100m further west, allowing Blues fans to access from the current turnstiles via the car park and the away fans to still access from the Fairfax Drive entrance.

It would of course require appropriate segregation on both sides of the away fans but would allow blues fans back in the north bank (hopefully with safe standing after refurbishment) and banish away fans to a currently unused section of the ground with its own separate access.
That is the most likely outcome - there already exists some segregation infrastructure to the NW corner, and access could be segregated sufficiently to the away section of the North via Fairfax Drive. The concourse created by extending the North Bank footprint back by around 5 metres would also be able to be split relatively simply.

It’s amazing how many people think they know better than someone who literally does this every day and has experience across dozens of grounds!

Out of interest, what do you think of the idea of housing away fans at the opposite (West) end of a refurbished north bank and into and around the North West corner?

There is a handy slope that would allow access/egress to that corner of the ground and the gates that currently separate the main car park from the back of the North Stand could just be moved 100m further west, allowing Blues fans to access from the current turnstiles via the car park and the away fans to still access from the Fairfax Drive entrance.

It would of course require appropriate segregation on both sides of the away fans but would allow blues fans back in the north bank (hopefully with safe standing after refurbishment) and banish away fans to a currently unused section of the ground with its own separate access.
Great minds…

Post in thread 'Fossetts Farm update and Roots Hall set for renovation'
http://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/...s-hall-set-for-renovation.116430/post-2679727

That is the most likely outcome - there already exists some segregation infrastructure to the NW corner, and access could be segregated sufficiently to the away section of the North via Fairfax Drive. The concourse created by extending the North Bank footprint back by around 5 metres would also be able to be split relatively simply.
This is music to my ears. I’ve banged this drum for years. The financial outlay would be paid back in points on the pitch. It has to happen and I hope Justin and Co. give it proper consideration. It needs to be safe standing though to make it work.

Yup! At Fuham, they have a part of the Putney End; at Chelsea - part of The Shed; at QPR (yeah, I know where they are now) the School End.
At Newcastle, high up in the Leazes; at Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal etc - they all have a bit of behind the goal.
I'm sure fulham used to share there away end with home fans without segregation..... that must of been fun. Not sure how they used to get away with it and that's premier league.

Portsmouth is another live example. We are currently in the midst of trying to agree segregation measures with the SGSA having just finished the extended concourse construction and safe-standing installation - another 'end' which is allocated to away fans.

Great minds…

http://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/...s-hall-set-for-renovation.116430/post-2679727
Yep, great minds.
There have been quite a few good suggestions on here for the north west corner for the away fans, there is an existing natural access point there that is currently used by the away fans.

Good, that’s settled then,
Let’s get on with it.

i have my tool belt and wheel barrow ready to go.
When do we start.

The North Bank will always cherish great memories from me, having stood in there from 70-76. But time moves on ( as does my age! ) & if it was designated for home fans again, i wouldn't return there.
Personally i think 'The Blue Voice' are ideally situated where they are now.
As for the South Upper, that will never be used for away fans, not practicable for several reasons.
Back in the mid 80's to mid 90's, away fans were seated in East Stand Black block, i can recall Wolves, Millwall & Birmingham for starters. I don't remember mass brawls occurring either entering or leaving from there, so maybe that section could be considered?.
As for that seating insufficient numbers for some visiting clubs, if the ground will be redeveloped in stages, then capacity will be reduced, as will away teams allocations?.

Here’s one for you @Sherif H is there a way (without replacing the barrelled roofing) that something can be done to project the sound better at RH. As you know in the West and North it sounds great, but due to the roof the sound doesn’t project around the rest of the ground as well as it could. Any acoustic solutions ?

need to collect them though. to be fair the last couple of times they were emailed to me, so that was fine
No - either print at home or download onto phone - haven't needed to collect online tickets for a couple of years.

The club has put the infrastructure in to avoid ticket office queues - maybe they need to publicise it a bit more, so more fans are aware - any signs whilst queueing to suggest to use your phone instead?

Great minds…

Yep, the more I think about it the more obvious this is. I think the only difference between our two plans is how much of the North Bank we get back. I’ll leave it to @Sherif H and his team of experts to decide which makes the better sense after investigating the services and infrastructure.

Here’s one for you @Sherif H is there a way (without replacing the barrelled roofing) that something can be done to project the sound better at RH. As you know in the West and North it sounds great, but due to the roof the sound doesn’t project around the rest of the ground as well as it could. Any acoustic solutions ?
I'm not am acoustics expert, but suffice to say, the single biggest impact is housing all of the singing supporters in one section and minimising any empty seats in said area.
Aside of that, there are particular roof angles and use of certain materials in certain parts of the roof that can make a big impact - Spurs brought in a company just to ensure that they could specify the details of their stadium roof design and material selection to maximise spectator noise.
The barrel roof definitely helps I'd suggest...

Back