• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
doesn't need to be either/or with pubs and the ground. there must be so much scope for making money with a competent operation. I haven't had a season ticket since the pandemic/child, but the queues for the ticket office were huge. how many people want to miss the first half hour then come back and do the same next time? and so often we can't get a beer if we manage to get in early, so that's more money missed. get the basics right and it'll make a massive difference.

doesn't need to be either/or with pubs and the ground. there must be so much scope for making money with a competent operation. I haven't had a season ticket since the pandemic/child, but the queues for the ticket office were huge. how many people want to miss the first half hour then come back and do the same next time? and so often we can't get a beer if we manage to get in early, so that's more money missed. get the basics right and it'll make a massive difference.

Why queue for tickets - buy online, much quicker

No No No No No No No.

Noooooooooooooo.

I know its just an idea, but NO NO NO.

We have got a real good atmosphere rocking at Rootshall and that is in part due to Block W in the west stand and that being that all the supporters are in block and not spread out along the pitch.

When we first got ousted from the North bank and were housed in the south, the atmosphere was absolutely terrible, and it was not for the want of trying.
Its just that the stand is about 8 rows deep and spans the width of the pitch, thus the left side don't hear what the right side are singing.

Rootshall lost a massive part of its ROAR, it was more of a whimper, the away support then had the upper hand over us.
It would only take 200 vocal away supporters in the North to out sing the home support.

we lost the twelfth, man in fact we it was like we only had 10 men and the away had 13 men. (Vocal support wise)

WE need as much vocal support as humanly possible, WE need not the Twelfth man but the 13th man as well,
We NEED to be where we are heard the loudest, AND THAT IS BACK IN THE NORTH, even if 2 or 3 blocks are for safe standing only, and the rest is seated.

No no no, never ever put the main Vocal support back in the South stand, we would loose a MASIVE advantage for our team.

Sorry to go on, but for me and many others, it was absolutely hart breaking to go from the lively and loud North stand to the Whimper and dead South Stand.

The South stand Lower is Mostly empty for most games, and that is for good reason.

Lets take the vocal advantage and make the South lower safe standing, but for the away support only.
Let them have the crap views and the even worse vocal support.

Again, this is just my point of view on the South.

COME ON YOU BLUES.
Brilliant post, sir. I said before that we should house the away in the south lower and we NEED our North Bank back!!

Brilliant post, sir. I said before that we should house the away in the south lower and we NEED our North Bank back!!
Housing the away fans in the South Lower doesn’t make sense. The home fans would still need access to the South Upper and how would segregation work or getting the fans in and out. Not an issue vs the teams we are playing now but imagine Col U or Orient. Would we open the whole South to away fans with a bigger allocation? I’m not sure what the solution is, I absolutely would love to see home fans back in the North. Having our main singing section behind that goal would be massive. But would need a total rethink.

South lower for safe standing? That some sort of stupid joke or something..... north or west are the only viable options interms of safe standing. South lower is only fit for under 12 year olds.

North bank should be for Blue voice but without away fans. If we get new east Stand then give away fans half of that. I can't really see how it would work with away fans in the south if I'm honest.

Last edited:
The reality is, if the pubs don’t want to lose trade, they’ll have to find a way of competing.

This is something we should all welcome as it can only lead to better choices and more options for all of us.
There should be strong bonds with all the local custodians of business Whith in the area I’m sure weekly each boozer can have a guest slot /pop up type stall in the wider fans park if that’s what the club choose to do . Ps true trust should buy one of the pubs - that way the legacy lives on generating money weekly for generations to come .. dwellings upstairs for the youth players etc etc a real community asset brought by the fans

Housing the away fans in the South Lower doesn’t make sense. The home fans would still need access to the South Upper and how would segregation work or getting the fans in and out. Not an issue vs the teams we are playing now but imagine Col U or Orient. Would we open the whole South to away fans with a bigger allocation? I’m not sure what the solution is, I absolutely would love to see home fans back in the North. Having our main singing section behind that goal would be massive. But would need a total rethink.
I've made the point about the logistical complexities of using the South for away fans a few times, but people still chose to ignore it in favour of blind sentiment about the North Bank...

I've made the point about the logistical complexities of using the South for away fans a few times, but people still chose to ignore it in favour of blind sentiment about the North Bank...
Other than the North, where logistically could they go? East maybe? The thought of housing them in the West .. no way.

Can we excavate a dark dingy tunnel for the away fans. Car park to south lower. Keep the current refreshment options for them.

Other than the North, where logistically could they go? East maybe? The thought of housing them in the West .. no way.
as mentioned on here before, the north west corner would be the best and logical place to put the away support.
It seems most clubs nowadays will put most away supporters into the corner section of their grounds.
as shown on here before, not to much work would be required to section that section of, already there are gates behind the west stand already segregating the NW corner.
Just need to install a set of gates at the rear of the north by the NW section and away fans can use the same entrance of the road as usual.
then the north can be used for home fans, at very minimal cost.

Within the confines of the here and now and working with what we have then a shared North Bank is the only way home fans can get back in there. Obviously it all comes down to visiting numbers, sufficent segregation space, separate entry and exit and Police agreement. Going forward into the realms of redevelopment if a 'new East Stand arises then a potential away section could be considered but again certain segregation criteria would have to be allowed for. Also this approach could be applied to a 'new' North Bank. A shared South Stand I can't see working although some consideration could be given, if there is redevelopment of East & North in the future, to the whole of the South being Away fans only, but the logistics of entry and exit seems a major issue and arguably a waste of capacity but then we currently have that with the North and many grounds have Away areas that don't reach capacity week in and week out.

It’s amazing how many people think they know better than someone who literally does this every day and has experience across dozens of grounds!

Out of interest, what do you think of the idea of housing away fans at the opposite (West) end of a refurbished north bank and into and around the North West corner?

There is a handy slope that would allow access/egress to that corner of the ground and the gates that currently separate the main car park from the back of the North Stand could just be moved 100m further west, allowing Blues fans to access from the current turnstiles via the car park and the away fans to still access from the Fairfax Drive entrance.

It would of course require appropriate segregation on both sides of the away fans but would allow blues fans back in the north bank (hopefully with safe standing after refurbishment) and banish away fans to a currently unused section of the ground with its own separate access.

It’s amazing how many people think they know better than someone who literally does this every day and has experience across dozens of grounds!

Out of interest, what do you think of the idea of housing away fans at the opposite (West) end of a refurbished north bank and into and around the North West corner?

There is a handy slope that would allow access/egress to that corner of the ground and the gates that currently separate the main car park from the back of the North Stand could just be moved 100m further west, allowing Blues fans to access from the current turnstiles via the car park and the away fans to still access from the Fairfax Drive entrance.

It would of course require appropriate segregation on both sides of the away fans but would allow blues fans back in the north bank (hopefully with safe standing after refurbishment) and banish away fans to a currently unused section of the ground with its own separate access.
Would certainly make the Hall a tough visit for any away fans. Surrounded by loud Shrimpers

Back