• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
This might be controversial but….“maximise revenues” - is something we haven’t done as a club…..and is a small part of the reason we got in to the mess we did.

1st refusals, revenue shares etc will not maximise revenues.
The future of the Blue Boar, Spread, and Railway are not our primary concern, the future of our club is.

There will always be people that will always drink in those pubs, regardless of what the club is doing, just as there will always be people that will drink at the ground regardless.

One thing is clear to me - the club needs to operate these things to maximise revenues.

Untrue.
There wont always be people who drink in theses pubs.
If the club had moved from Roots Hall. All three would/could have closed down, as there main revenue comes from the footie.
I care about keeping part of our National Treasure. Pubs, nearly as much as i do about Southend United.
Southend could easy maximise revenue, and i have banged on about it for years, just ask your local brewery to stock there beer, instead of getting into contacts with National concerns.
Yes i do work for one of those local brewerys. Plus i have arranged Beer Festival before in Shrimpers Bar,
Just ask a example ask Brighton. How much money it brings in.

I'd really like some of the car park to be converted into all-year/all-weather outdoor screen with a bar/food vans etc. thought the one at Notts County was really good. Provides somewhere good pre game to watch football/have a drink and a bite to eat. Could be open all weekend and also used for other events/small gigs etc.
here's a photo of "The Big Shed". It's not affiliated with Notts County specifically and benefits from serving both clubs and the cricket ground too.

1696859682509.png

Untrue.
There wont always be people who drink in theses pubs.
If the club had moved from Roots Hall. All three would/could have closed down, as there main revenue comes from the footie.
I care about keeping part of our National Treasure. Pubs, nearly as much as i do about Southend United.
Southend could easy maximise revenue, and i have banged on about it for years, just ask your local brewery to stock there beer, instead of getting into contacts with National concerns.
Yes i do work for one of those local brewerys. Plus i have arranged Beer Festival before in Shrimpers Bar,
Just ask a example ask Brighton. How much money it brings in.
I never understand why people voluntarily get into those contracts with national concerns. You have next to no leverage with a national concern. Their contract will screw you as has been proven continuously in the pub industry.

Go local. Go for a small provider for whom you will be a major customer. When things go wrong they will be much more incentivised to fix it. They will be more open to renegotiating terms as they need your business more than Annheiser-Busch InBev or Carlsberg do. They probably care more about the product than the multinational whose management is only looking at the bottom line.

I don't know what the worry is here about the pubs, there may be a few floating people they'll lose but a fan zone is a completely different proposition to a pub and it's a means for opening up a new revenue stream that is not really going to compete with the local boozers.

Also will give ample opportunity as has been mentioned to make a niche proposition for local food suppliers to come in - so you could have Far East week, American week, Indian week etc with a few anchor tenants as well.

The club are basically sitting with a gaping open goal sitting in front of them, they just need to ensure it's executed correctly

I don't know what the worry is here about the pubs, there may be a few floating people they'll lose but a fan zone is a completely different proposition to a pub and it's a means for opening up a new revenue stream that is not really going to compete with the local boozers.

Also will give ample opportunity as has been mentioned to make a niche proposition for local food suppliers to come in - so you could have Far East week, American week, Indian week etc with a few anchor tenants as well.

The club are basically sitting with a gaping open goal sitting in front of them, they just need to ensure it's executed correctly
You could have Osbornes running a seafood stall, Irmas doing pizzas. L-o-S brewery running a real ale tap etc etc.

This would be a great ethos for us to follow. There has been much reference to the Club being a Community Asset so surely we should look to embrace local suppliers and businesses in all aspects of the Club from the match day experience to events and activities in and around the Hall at other times. I would argue that the more engaged we are within our catchment area the greater chance for loyal and ongoing relationships.

Why per week? I would want all of those every time!

Seriously why not have of each almost like a small food market?

I agree that the wider community element is important & it would be interesting to see the effect that Orient opening their highly rated bar had on the local pubs. Unfortunately pubs everywhere are struggling out of peak times & some like the Spread even then. I have generally used that on matchday but it's a soulless pale imitation of the days of listening to Geordie Chris & @BEERMONSTER drinking from the chamber pots. I personally think it'll be mainly a different crowd that want to use the club's facilities.

Some of us will remember queuing at Kidderminster for the matchday food, I'm sure I missed a few goals!! Only a small club but offering cottage pie & curry etc. on the terraces which IIRC were supplied by a local hotelier rather than buying in a pre-packed pie. A small thing that they thought outside the box on & so could we. Go to a rugby club like Saracens & the food & beer options on a match day are wide-ranging. Their ground improvements are also impressive taking a ramshackle athletics track with a small capacity to still only 10kish, so you don't need a huge stadium to offer something interesting.

In terms of the non-football activities Cull Ewe do a lot at the Communist Stadium with in corporate & entertainment fields & that's something I'm sure the owners will want to promote but the modern facilities there are in a different class pending our redevelopment.

Last edited:
Why per week? I would want all of those every time!

Seriously why not have of each almost like a small food market?
Because if you run the same thing week in week out you'll lose novelty very very quickly. We're not Liverpool who have xx thousand tourists every home game who want to see a Beatles tribute rattle out the same 30 minute set before kick off after they've been to the club shop.

Mix it up a little bit and you'll be laughing - 23 games a season. Have your core offering for 10-15 games and mix up the offering for the rest. One off visits are easy, it's getting people keep coming back because there's something decent happening that's the tricky part.

Whatever we do food and drink wise inside the stadium, we need to make sure that they are prices correctly. I have not been for a couple of seasons, due to personal reasons, but before then was a season ticket holder but I can remember the last time I ever bought anything due to the disgraceful prices.

Once the takeover goes through, I wonder what the realistic timescale is for any major improvements at Roots Hall.
I suspect The ground could be looking exactly like it is now, for quite a while yet.
Where do you start?
When do you start?
Food kiosks renovated around the ground....especially south upper.
Toilets?

Back