• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
With regard to making the match day experience better at Roots Hall, as many have mentioned, putting a marquee up in the car park would be a good revenue source.
I was at Newport County v Harrogate yesterday. They have a big marquee there, inside were two large bars with a decent selection of beers, lots of tables and seating. They had kids entertainment including a q and a with some of the Newport players. Amazingly they also had a live rock band. Surely we could do something similar especially with the decent attendances that we get.
Sure I read somewhere, or maybe Tom Lawrence said that you’d need a separate license for that and that the price was prohibitive.

The movement back of the East Stand and a complete rebuild is the key to any redevelopment and the potential reconfiguration to Roots Hall. Obviously its dependent on how much budget is allocated and over what time period the Consortium would look to achieve it.
Lots of speculation here.
Personally, I love it as it is.
The new owners will need a few months to get their feet under the table.
It would be nice to see a regular 7,000. We need to do nothing until the end of the season. Perhaps peck a bit at the presumed final plan.
When we get to the EFL. Then go for a big overhaul but please keep us close to the pitch.
We are only there for around 2 hours each home game. I can put up with pearing around a post... For now.

With regard to making the match day experience better at Roots Hall, as many have mentioned, putting a marquee up in the car park would be a good revenue source.
I was at Newport County v Harrogate yesterday. They have a big marquee there, inside were two large bars with a decent selection of beers, lots of tables and seating. They had kids entertainment including a q and a with some of the Newport players. Amazingly they also had a live rock band. Surely we could do something similar especially with the decent attendances that we get.
Did they also have bars inside the ground? This idea was knocked back many years ago because it would affect alcohol sale inside Roots Hall. Inside Roots Hall the bars were all franchised out the last I heard. So obviously they would object to loss of sales. If they know their stuff, it would also be written into the contract that SUFC can't sell alcohol on the side or open up another bar.

Did they also have bars inside the ground? This idea was knocked back many years ago because it would affect alcohol sale inside Roots Hall. Inside Roots Hall the bars were all franchised out the last I heard. So obviously they would object to loss of sales. If they know their stuff, it would also be written into the contract that SUFC can't sell alcohol on the side or open up another bar.
As far as I'm aware the Shrimpers Bar & Far Post Bar are run & staffed by the Club.

No Rodney Parade's pretty rudimentary. But the closest pub to the ground, The Dodger, is superb.

Plymouth also have a very large marquee in which beer flows and people sit and enjoy themselves. Also other tents selling food pies and pasty etc. It must bring in a great deal of income. When I went there I thought of SUFC and that the club were missing out on such
a good income. The club needs to wake up to new way of thinking.

I’ve not read the entire thread, but would be interested to understand whether the new owners plan to consult with the Shrimpers Trust, or other supporters groups to ascertain what fans really want.

Through various threads some great ideas have been floated. It would as such be heartening to know the new consortium plan to take fans views on the future of the club, Roots Hall and other considerations to give SUFC the best chance of becoming a sustainable and competitive entity.

I’ve not read the entire thread, but would be interested to understand whether the new owners plan to consult with the Shrimpers Trust, or other supporters groups to ascertain what fans really want.

Through various threads some great ideas have been floated. It would as such be heartening to know the new consortium plan to take fans views on the future of the club, Roots Hall and other considerations to give SUFC the best chance of becoming a sustainable and competitive entity.
I know it is early days as we await the official dawn of a new era but I definitely have good vibes as to the potential openness and engagement with fans that will come with this takeover. We have lifelong fans involved in the Consortium, we have an acknowledgement and what appears to be a willingness to work with Supporter's groups, with the Trust having enhanced its visibility and very much handled itself in a professional and polished way in recent months 👏 Not forgetting the level of commitment from other groups in their chosen paths of action to rid the Club of the Rat. All of which I am sure will be tapped into and canvassed for ideas and preferences on a wide spectrum of matters. We are potentially looking at the complete opposite of the alienation we have endured under the 🐀 regime. I for one who has been lucky enough to have enjoyed seeing success on footballing side of our Club, have never felt as optimistic and exited as for the prospects for the Club as a whole. Let's all hope I am not getting carried away with a false dawn but somehow I genuinely don't believe I am.

Sure I read somewhere, or maybe Tom Lawrence said that you’d need a separate license for that and that the price was prohibitive.
Yep a separate license is required, which I believe is around £6000. That’s what @Cricko said anyway. Whether the council would grant it is another matter. But £6000 doesn’t seem too steep and would be made back very quickly I’d suggest.

Just a thought.
I know as a club we desperately need to generate match day revenue streams, but a large drinking/fanzone on sight would inevitably affect the blue boar negatively and the railway too.

Yep a separate license is required, which I believe is around £6000. That’s what @Cricko said anyway. Whether the council would grant it is another matter. But £6000 doesn’t seem too steep and would be made back very quickly I’d suggest.
Didn't someone linked to the spread mention they took north of £7,000 on a single match day last season...

Just a thought.
I know as a club we desperately need to generate match day revenue streams, but a large drinking/fanzone on sight would inevitably affect the blue boar negatively and the railway too.

Giving either a first refusal for a temporary setup on the RH site would surely be worth a shot. Revenue share. Bosh.

Didn't someone linked to the spread mention they took north of £7,000 on a single match day last season...

Giving either a first refusal for a temporary setup on the RH site would surely be worth a shot. Revenue share. Bosh.
Ooooh like the first refusal

Ijust wonder how much revinue was generated on the thusday markets on the car park .I. Must have brought in quite a bit for the club back then .

Reactions: jnl
last few times I've been me and my mates wanted a beer before the game and one at half time. but we haven't been able to. I know we're talking bigger plans, but a bottle bar or similar out the back of the west seems like easy money to tide us over coz we're desperate to give the club our money and couldn't. we didn't go pub instead, so it stayed in our wallets. longer term I'm a bit torn on the North. It's so good when we get good away followings and we have a good atmosphere so i'd be against putting hardcore fans in the north coz we want the space for when we get away fans again. love the idea of a total revamp of the East, and safe standing.

If we need to be away for a season I'm in reluctantly favour if that would mean a faster/cheaper operation

Back