• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Ooooh like the first refusal
This might be controversial but….“maximise revenues” - is something we haven’t done as a club…..and is a small part of the reason we got in to the mess we did.

1st refusals, revenue shares etc will not maximise revenues.
The future of the Blue Boar, Spread, and Railway are not our primary concern, the future of our club is.

There will always be people that will always drink in those pubs, regardless of what the club is doing, just as there will always be people that will drink at the ground regardless.

One thing is clear to me - the club needs to operate these things to maximise revenues.

Please contact SHSB to allow match day parking in their grounds - got to be a win win situation for the school and the club?

Huge expanse of car park hardly used - not a huge earner but what about midweek markets, sunday boot sales ?
We used to park at the school, which was pretty busy even with the Roots Hall car park. I'm not sure they can accommodate everyone.

I seem to be in the minority that thinks Fossetts Farm would be the ideal ground for the future, but then again I don't live in Southend, that might be the reason! A blank canvas, do whatever you want.

I seem to be in the minority that thinks Fossetts Farm would be the ideal ground for the future, but then again I don't live in Southend, that might be the reason! A blank canvas, do whatever you want.
FF was ideal for the future and to deliver sustainable revenue streams. I certainly thought so compared with RH. BUT and it is a big but, the working assumption was that there would be no major investment in RH (certainly not £20m( so it was the choice between staying in a crumbling stadium with limited facilities and a new purpose built stadium.

I don't think a £20m re-development of RH was ever considered a realistic option (at least to me) until now.

FF was ideal for the future and to deliver sustainable revenue streams. I certainly thought so compared with RH. BUT and it is a big but, the working assumption was that there would be no major investment in RH (certainly not £20m( so it was the choice between staying in a crumbling stadium with limited facilities and a new purpose built stadium.

I don't think a £20m re-development of RH was ever considered a realistic option (at least to me) until now.
Any new stadium also needs to genuinely have the best interests of the club at heart and be well future-proofed, as opposed to being an inconvenient, tacked-on afterthought and an enabler for a housing development.

I remember the last days if roots hall market...a big meat van and a few flower stalls. It died off as has the high street, I can't see it suddenly becoming popular again.

It would need to be reinvented. Markets are still popular but they are called things like farmers markets, antique fairs etc

Please contact SHSB to allow match day parking in their grounds - got to be a win win situation for the school and the club?

Huge expanse of car park hardly used - not a huge earner but what about midweek markets, sunday boot sales ?
This is where I’d like us to be creative. Create a partnership where we offer them things like coaching, player visits, being ball boys, match tickets as prizes for pupils excelling, work experience opportunities etc in return for use of their car park. That way both parties benefit from the arrangement. I hope CSL Group have some ideas to add.

I'd really like some of the car park to be converted into all-year/all-weather outdoor screen with a bar/food vans etc. thought the one at Notts County was really good. Provides somewhere good pre game to watch football/have a drink and a bite to eat. Could be open all weekend and also used for other events/small gigs etc.

Is no-one thinking of this poor guy?

He says he has to be up for work at 4.30am and yet also claims "the awful noise at 5am in unbearable". They're doing you a favour mate, they're telling you something - YOU'RE LATE FOR WORK!

All this talk of the club taking business away from the pubs got me thinking that if the club has an entertainment space I think having a family-friendly environment would be the way to go with it. Obviously to serve alcohol and food but also have a kind of holiday park seaside special feel with performers, games, quizzes and bingo and stuff. Garlic bread etc. During the week use the space for a "Junior Shrimpers" youth club to bring the local young community into the club.

If the young adult lads want to do heavy boozing they can do it at one of the many local pubs/bars. The clubs facilities don't have to step on the toes of local businesses if it offers something different.

All this talk of the club taking business away from the pubs got me thinking that if the club has an entertainment space I think having a family-friendly environment would be the way to go with it. Obviously to serve alcohol and food but also have a kind of holiday park seaside special feel with performers, games, quizzes and bingo and stuff. Garlic bread etc. During the week use the space for a "Junior Shrimpers" youth club to bring the local young community into the club.

If the young adult lads want to do heavy boozing they can do it at one of the many local pubs/bars. The clubs facilities don't have to step on the toes of local businesses if it offers something different.
I was thinking similar, and that the Police and local residents may have something to say about a beer tent outside of the ground.

Generally the 'matchday experience' side is pretty grim. I think the trend now is to get fans into the ground early so that they can spend money, I've taken to bringing a flask because the facilities are so awful. I understand the limitations of RH but with a bit of imagination these could be mitigated, if not completely overcome.

Christmas is also coming, I suspect that there will be a whole load of not very much in the shop.

There are about 5 or 6 shops that are empty outside the ground almost opposite Priory Park. They are painted in dark blue. I think the club own them. So lets think out of the box. Why not turn them into one large refreshment building. Do any of you look at HOMES UNDER THE HAMMER on each morning. So we use the oppotunity we have as fans. Knock the internal walls out using RSJs. into one long building on two floors. We have many carpenters, painters, tradesmen/women of all kinds who would I'm sure be pleased to give some time for the benefit of SUFC.

We could have a section for different fast food, with seating on both floors. With the building made to look attractive both inside and out. I feel this would be a way the earn a lot of money for our club and provide a service both before and after the game.

Last edited:
There are about 5 or 6 shops that are empty outside the ground almost opposite Priory Park. They are painted in dark blue. I think the club own them. So lets think out of the box. Why not turn them into one large refreshment building. Do any of you look at HOMES UNDER THE HAMMER on each morning. So we use the oppotunity we have as fans. Knock the internal walls out using RSJs. into one long building on two floors. We have many carpenters, painters, tradesmen/women of all kinds who would I'm sure be pleased to give some time for the benefit of SUFC.

We could have a section for different fast food, with seating on both floors. With the building made to look attractive both inside and out. I feel this would be a way the earn a lot of money for our club and provide a service both before and after the game.
i think those shops along with most of the ground would be best getting a visit from the local demolition company . now we have a aussie money man coming in its a golden opportunity to start fresh , i think those flats are all part of any development so will probably be demolished onwards & upwards

Getting out of Ebbsfleet International station at the weekend, which many of you will use next year I'm sure (less than 10 mte. walk to the ground). I was greeted by this advertising stand set up by the local club. Lots of info including how the club conference centre can be used for wedding receptions, anniversaries ect. Good idea at either of the local stations (with posters up and down the lines) if, of course, investment is made in upgrading Roots Hall with the suitable facilities.

Attachments

• 20231007_152718.jpg
    20231007_152718.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 67

Do we know that the club own them? Or has the rat put them under separate ownership from the ground, ready to be sold off elsewhere?

Worth checking with Land Registry perhaps.

Do we know that the club own them? Or has the rat put them under separate ownership from the ground, ready to be sold off elsewhere?

Worth checking with Land Registry perhaps.
haven't the 2 pizza places stood their ground and not taken any offers?

Sorry I'm so out of the loop with these shops and flats.

I remember Ron was trying to get compulsory purchase orders or something a few years ago

Back