• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
If you see some of the marquees we build and fit out for events like the Ryder Cup and World Title fights, then you'd probably have a different view of what a marquee is/can be.

If you developed it in to a comfortable sports bar with SUFC memorabilia everywhere, then I'm certain you'd capture punters on a daily basis.
I have no idea about planning considerations but what about a shipping container setup a la Dinerama / Boxpark / Felixtowe with bars, street food etc

1000021967.jpg

1000021968.jpg

@Sherif. What sort of East stand do you have in mind.....Is there any current version similar?.In the Rubin era a triple decker stand was muted due to the population increase expected caused by Maplin airport
Would your version be able to be increased if we in a future life make the promised land ?

Will be a bit disappointed if there's not an underground travelator to southend airport after our recent link up to them.
And a glass one way mirror to the tunnel of course!!
On a serious note, I doubt 20 million goes far in today's world, so a usable, fit for ELF purpose stadium is all that's needed. One that can be self funding as much as possible

I would like to see tgexwood chip wallpaper in the directors lounge replaced with artex.

Why not just a stand built with shipping containers? If that's good enough for the World Cup then it's good enough for Roots Hall.
unfortunately the stadium wasn't built from containers- it was a traditional steel frame which just happened to have some containerised buildings within the concourse space. It has been completely mis-sold as a sustainable piece of design.

unfortunately the stadium wasn't built from containers- it was a traditional steel frame which just happened to have some containerised buildings within the concourse space. It has been completely mis-sold as a sustainable piece of design.
Once we have planning permission and, of course, depending on what is agreed, what ball park timescale are we looking at to complete these renovations? East Stand first? How long will that take?

Reactions: jnl
I was not even being slightly serious but thanks for giving me a good, informative and educational answer all the same.

@Sherif H
Evening. I’ve had a read through the pages and not seen anyone mention the current West stand family area. That already has a fence for segregation (which obvs would need improving) and that area already has toilet, catering facilities. Away fans could enter via Shakespeare Drive and home fans from existing Fairfax entrance to NorthBank with a new entrance made to north end of the West to spread the load.

My only worry about fan zones and good booze in the current car park area is the knock on effect that will have on the local pubs. They’ll die a death quickly if we steal their trade. Perhaps we could reach out to them on a first refusal basis to see if they wish to run any stalls inside the club boundary. When it comes to food, wholly agree we need something much better than the current offering. We’d always make an afternoon of it by getting lunch before the game if it was decent and a choice of something that won’t give me a heart attack by 50!

IMG_8781.jpeg

Per my post above. Looks like from aerial shot you can get from fairfax around the north west corner to make new entrance like this.

Attachments

• IMG_8782.jpeg
    IMG_8782.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Looking at the full RH development site is there not the opportunity to create an access for away fans? There is room behind the North Bank so that could be replaced and we can have a real top drawer away end?

To me it’s the East and North that should be replaced.

South you can’t do a great deal with and would be great if it could be away end.

West new seating, new roof, facilities but beyond that it is as it is?

From my amateur eye…
I'd like to keep the barrel roof, or a modern reincarnation of it. It's one of the things that gives RH its... identity? or character?

Last edited:
I want something that looks like this. If this new consortium can't deliver, then I'm going to quickly lose faith

MGC_1902-c99002cb68.jpg
Off topic but I went on a guided tour there in Feb 2022. What a ****ing unreal facility.

@Sherif H
Evening. I’ve had a read through the pages and not seen anyone mention the current West stand family area. That already has a fence for segregation (which obvs would need improving) and that area already has toilet, catering facilities. Away fans could enter via Shakespeare Drive and home fans from existing Fairfax entrance to NorthBank with a new entrance made to north end of the West to spread the load.

My only worry about fan zones and good booze in the current car park area is the knock on effect that will have on the local pubs. They’ll die a death quickly if we steal their trade. Perhaps we could reach out to them on a first refusal basis to see if they wish to run any stalls inside the club boundary. When it comes to food, wholly agree we need something much better than the current offering. We’d always make an afternoon of it by getting lunch before the game if it was decent and a choice of something that won’t give me a heart attack by 50!

View attachment 29285

Love the detailed quote for RH upgrade. A plan that is clear and easy to understand.

Back