• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember Byrne missing a golden chance of scoring against Oldham (away) after about 1 minute ......... can't remember why it was so important (might be that we lost the game/were on the verge of relegation) ...... at the time, I thought that is the way it goes when you are down the bottom of the league ..........only when I heard the stories of his drinking did I start to think poorly of him ............

.......... and that links with mention of M'Voto above - thought he was great ........ until I saw him playing away at Hartlepools a couple of seasons ago when he was a man-mountain of a disaster in defence ....... we lost 4-0 including another disappointing player who scored a hat-trick against us.

As ever I can't remember his name but another attempted Tilson signing, he was Irish and signed for Sunderland(?) - I think he then came to us on loan, did very little ......... but when he was loaned out to Hartlepools, he repaid us all by playing what might have been his best ever game ...........

I remember Byrne missing a golden chance of scoring against Oldham (away) after about 1 minute ......... can't remember why it was so important (might be that we lost the game/were on the verge of relegation) ...... at the time, I thought that is the way it goes when you are down the bottom of the league ..........only when I heard the stories of his drinking did I start to think poorly of him ............

.......... and that links with mention of M'Voto above - thought he was great ........ until I saw him playing away at Hartlepools a couple of seasons ago when he was a man-mountain of a disaster in defence ....... we lost 4-0 including another disappointing player who scored a hat-trick against us.

As ever I can't remember his name but another attempted Tilson signing, he was Irish and signed for Sunderland(?) - I think he then came to us on loan, did very little ......... but when he was loaned out to Hartlepools, he repaid us all by playing what might have been his best ever game ...........

That would be Roy Donovan who is now at Coventry

Yeah and it got Lincoln relegated.

Had he persisted with it, it would have got us relegated as well. Fortunately he didn't.

I make no comment about your fondness for men with tattoos.

Every manager makes mistakes and Mark Warren was a mistake. I think the person who gave him his medical was probably more to blame because Warren was shot. He was a centre-back who couldn't run and couldn't jump.

I'm not saying Wignall was a great manager, I'm saying he wasn't the worst. I can pick redeeming features out of his short tenure, whereas Alvin Martin's regime was pretty much an unmitigated disaster. Martin inherited a talented team who couldn't be arsed and turned it into a talentless team who couldn't be arsed and more so achieved this turn around be freely spending transfer fees. Broughton and Warren were two bad, bad signings, but they were free transfers picked up when no-one else wanted them (for good reason). Alvin Martin paid good money for Neville Roach!

Martin signed Kevin Maher

Disapointing, as in previous Reputation XI

Southall (on his day the best Keeper in the world , His days with us however....)

Lampard (2 FA Cups and 4 England caps)
Ramsey (he played in a cup final Y'Know)
Tom Jordan (His dad was Joe Jordan)
Mvoto (he is massive and he is from a prem side ..... oops)

Kevin O Callaghan (He was good at Ipswich)
Danny Greaves (With a name like Greaves he must be.........Oh !)
Andy Greaves (see Elder brother Danny)
Paul Byrne (Irish International and scored that Old firm Goal)

Trevor Whymark (England International)
Michael Ricketts (see Trevor Whymark)

Manager Dave Webb (got us promoted twice last time and once the time before that so that means we are going to get three promotions this time !!)

Disapointing, as in previous Reputation XI

Southall (on his day the best Keeper in the world , His days with us however....)

Lampard (2 FA Cups and 4 England caps)
Ramsey (he played in a cup final Y'Know)
Tom Jordan (His dad was Joe Jordan)
Mvoto (he is massive and he is from a prem side ..... oops)

Kevin O Callaghan (He was good at Ipswich)
Danny Greaves (With a name like Greaves he must be.........Oh !)
Andy Greaves (see Elder brother Danny)
Paul Byrne (Irish International and scored that Old firm Goal)

Trevor Whymark (England International)
Michael Ricketts (see Trevor Whymark)

Manager Dave Webb (got us promoted twice last time and once the time before that so that means we are going to get three promotions this time !!)

You could also have Gavin Strachan (son of Gordon), Stuart Thurgood (ex-Spurs), Phil Whelan (England under-21 international), Bob Worthington and Barrington Belgrave (great name, great scoring record at Yeovil), oh and Mark Salter (even better record at Frome); and former Ireland international Dominic Foley, and of course Tommy Black (played for Arsenal in the Champions League), and then Ronnie Henry, grandson of Ron Henry.

On the flip side, we had Peter Watson who although the brother of international Dave Watson, my Dad thinks he was great.

You could also have Gavin Strachan (son of Gordon), Stuart Thurgood (ex-Spurs), Phil Whelan (England under-21 international), Bob Worthington and Barrington Belgrave (great name, great scoring record at Yeovil), oh and Mark Salter (even better record at Frome); and former Ireland international Dominic Foley, and of course Tommy Black (played for Arsenal in the Champions League), and then Ronnie Henry, grandson of Ron Henry.

On the flip side, we had Peter Watson who although the brother of international Dave Watson, my Dad thinks he was great.

I have your Dad as being right Naps, although I only saw Peter Watson at the end of his career he's easily the best centre half I've had the privilege of seeing in a Southend shirt, and the best of a list of dodgy not as good as their more famous brothers. Although IMO Chris Guthrie was better than Cup Final winning brother Ron.

Sanchez Watt - very poor I thought bearing in mind he came through Arsenal Academy. Not sure how he's doing at Leeds this season.

Every manager makes mistakes and Mark Warren was a mistake. I think the person who gave him his medical was probably more to blame because Warren was shot. He was a centre-back who couldn't run and couldn't jump.

Maybe so, but Mark Warren has a get out of jail free card as far as I'm concerned. Remember the goal he scored from open play away at Swansea when we had been reduced to 8 men? It put us 3-1 up, and we held out for a 3-2 win? Well, as far as I'm aware that goal meant that Southend United are the only team in the world to have scored from open play with only 8 players on the pitch.

Maybe so, but Mark Warren has a get out of jail free card as far as I'm concerned. Remember the goal he scored from open play away at Swansea when we had been reduced to 8 men? It put us 3-1 up, and we held out for a 3-2 win? Well, as far as I'm aware that goal meant that Southend United are the only team in the world to have scored from open play with only 8 players on the pitch.

I fondly remember that, although I was never quite sure what a defender was doing that far forward when we were down to 8 men!

He was still an awful defender though by the time he joined us. Nearly embarrassed us on national TV when he got sent off v Canvey as well.

Really is that true? Wow. That game represents the only time a team has scored from "open play" (think I know what that means but I don't like the phrase) when down to 8 men ......... that's fantastic :clap:..... ....... I don't even remember Mark Warren and I think I was at the game (wasn't there a bit of a do on the touch-line by the East Stand) !!!!!! And weren't Swansea down to 10 as well ......... oh to have a memory that works ......:'(

And thanks for the reminder - Donovan - yes. Now at Coventry eh. I will have to look out for him next year when Southend and Coventry are both in the 3rd division .............. :winking:

Really is that true? Wow. That game represents the only time a team has scored from "open play" (think I know what that means but I don't like the phrase) when down to 8 men ......... that's fantastic :clap:..... ....... I don't even remember Mark Warren and I think I was at the game (wasn't there a bit of a do on the touch-line by the East Stand) !!!!!! And weren't Swansea down to 10 as well ......... oh to have a memory that works ......:'(

And thanks for the reminder - Donovan - yes. Now at Coventry eh. I will have to look out for him next year when Southend and Coventry are both in the 3rd division .............. :winking:

IIRC (I was listening on the radio) We were bringing Warren on for Gower when we were down to 9 men , Gower , on his way off just after being booked (I think for disputing a corner) said something, Warren was sent from the pitch , Gower called back on, showed a 2nd yellow and then Warren was not allowed back on.
Warren then came on minutes later and scored with pretty much his first touch. to make it 3-1

I don't think I ever saw a more inept display than that produced by Joe Allon in his only loan appearance for us (I believe it was against Tranmere but I might be wrong). Judas took him off before half-time in one of those moves that made us love him so much before he put a dagger in our hearts.

This is the one I was trying to think of.

I seem to remember being at an away game against Southampton (FA Cup I think) when new arrival Joe Allon was running up and down the touchline waving at us as if he was the next messiah.

Next match he was gone!

For me, definately the worst player to pull on a Southend shirt!

Gk: Mel Capleton

LB: Danny Kerrigan
RB: Martyn Booty
CB: Rio Alderton
CB: Simon Coleman

LM: Steve Clark (The most frustrating player I ever saw)
RM: Gordon Connelly
CM: Kevin Maher

FD: Danny Webb
FD: Tony Richards
FD: Roscoe D'Sane

i may be a clown but at least i can pass a ball forward rather than sideways and backwards. Maher was the most over rated blues player for years, he had no competition for his place in the team for far too long.

i may be a clown but at least i can pass a ball forward rather than sideways and backwards. Maher was the most over rated blues player for years, he had no competition for his place in the team for far too long.

You sound just like my late father, i called him a clown plenty too just so you know .. possession of the ball is key, and King Kev hardly ever gave it away

Back