• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Moore was a hero of mine, he scored a lot of goals, but I shall never forget the worse miss I've seen at a football game(cries of new thread). I shall bore you with the details.
Gazza or Morro as he would surely be called today was on the goalline as a corner was swung in, the ball connected with our heroes knee and we rose as one to acclaim the goal. Except the ball arched from underneath the crossbar and flew into the South Stand.
Young children were reduced to tears and old ladies were led away from the ground in shock.Scientists have spent years, all to no avail, trying to come up a theory as to how it was possible for this to have happened.
Gary Moore you made a lasting impression on me.

That miss is also burnt into my mind to this day, however I remember it being in front of the North Bank, the South Bank was an open terrace back in the day, and it clearing the stand and ending up in the Eastern National bus garage car park, (aka Prospects' car park). But whichever it proves how bad a miss it was that there's three of us in whose minds it is still seared into to this day. :stunned:

Always a bit harsh on our late 1990's players this kind of thing. They may have been **** in the now Championship, but some of them would have been OK in L2

Ryan Robinson

Osei Sankofa
Keith Dublin
Simon Coleman
Johnny Herd

Miguel Commingues
JF Christophe (when we signed him on a perm)
Simon Livett
Gordon Connolly

Drewe
Neville Roach

Bit harsh on David Lee - I think he got 10 goals in his first ever season for us including a delightful lob against Brighton on his debut. Personally I really liked him and I think we lost him up a level at the time to Hull so he cant have bee that bad.

Useless X1 i have seen play for us:

Southall - Past it by the time he came to us. Shame as was great years before.

Mark Beard
David Morley - The worst player ever to play 50 games + for SUFC.
Mvoto
Martin Booty

Adrian Clarke
Russell Williamson - was that his name, the dwarf, long ish hair?
Tommy Black

Neil Campbell - two goals v orient (a) nothing else of note i can remember
Daniel Webb
Trevor Fitzpatrick

Manager: A.Martin

Sada n'Daiye. Or Sad 'n' Dire.

The only wonder was that he got more than one game!

Milkey

Oh God, I'd forgotten about him. Cheers for the reminder.

Anyone choosing Alvin Martin as manager has clearly forgotten about Steve Wignall.

Rubbish.

Steve Wignall put together much of the double promotion winning squad, including Marky Gower. Things didn't work out for us on the pitch with him in charge - mainly because he insisted on playing that donkey Drewe - but he cleared out a lot of dead wood and left us in a much better shape than he inherited or than Alvin Martin did. Under Alvin Martin we got progressively worse each year and whilst I think Gower was Wignall's only cash signing, Martin actually paid transfer fees for the likes of Neville Roach, Neil Campbell, Barry Conlon and Dave Morley who have all been mentioned on this thread.

Oh God, I'd forgotten about him. Cheers for the reminder.

Rubbish.

Steve Wignall put together much of the double promotion winning squad, including Marky Gower. Things didn't work out for us on the pitch with him in charge - mainly because he insisted on playing that donkey Drewe

Tilly played Drewe quite a lot as well - indeed he scored the goal that took us to Cardiff under Tilly.

That miss is also burnt into my mind to this day, however I remember it being in front of the North Bank, the South Bank was an open terrace back in the day, and it clearing the stand and ending up in the Eastern National bus garage car park, (aka Prospects' car park). But whichever it proves how bad a miss it was that there's three of us in whose minds it is still seared into to this day. :stunned:
I was also standing on the North bank that day, I can remember Gary sitting in the net laughing along with the crowd. It really was an increadible miss

Who was that player that Tilson tried to sign (from Charlton?), was then found to have a heart condition, we then went on to sign him some months later (at quite a cost), he was given plenty of chances - and showed the odd glimpse of talent, scored a cracker at Orient, took an appalling penalty at home that any member of the crowd could have saved, got injured on the first day of the season (? against Huddersfield) ...... but in truth he never really put anything like a credible 9 minute (let alone 90 minutes) performance together and eventually off he went to Gillingham (?) and has never been heard of since ............ has he?

He was so disappointing I have even forgotten his name ...........

Absolutely - I'm not sure he would make it in to the worst XI ........ but Walker might be a contender for the most disappointing XI (given the hype, support, cost and chances given) .......... :sad:

Ah now you've REALLY started something

Paul Byrne DEFINATELY eats (and drinks) his way into any most disappointing XI .. so much ability and so little appetite for the game

Ah now you've REALLY started something

Paul Byrne DEFINATELY eats (and drinks) his way into any most disappointing XI .. so much ability and so little appetite for the game

Lots of appetite for the drink though.

No doubting he had talent, his beaut of a goal in an Old Firm game is still fondly remembered by Celtic fans.

Tilly played Drewe quite a lot as well

Yeah and it got Lincoln relegated.

Had he persisted with it, it would have got us relegated as well. Fortunately he didn't.

and Mark Warren, who I liked, but you chose as one of your side. Just saying.

I make no comment about your fondness for men with tattoos.

Every manager makes mistakes and Mark Warren was a mistake. I think the person who gave him his medical was probably more to blame because Warren was shot. He was a centre-back who couldn't run and couldn't jump.

I'm not saying Wignall was a great manager, I'm saying he wasn't the worst. I can pick redeeming features out of his short tenure, whereas Alvin Martin's regime was pretty much an unmitigated disaster. Martin inherited a talented team who couldn't be arsed and turned it into a talentless team who couldn't be arsed and more so achieved this turn around be freely spending transfer fees. Broughton and Warren were two bad, bad signings, but they were free transfers picked up when no-one else wanted them (for good reason). Alvin Martin paid good money for Neville Roach!

Back