• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Gateshead, Saturday 28th September, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Results

• Total voters
Lots of people suggesting about Wind at left back, Gus at centre back, etc, but it's not conclusive both Ralph and Taylor are out for Saturday.

As I understand, Ralph's suspension only kicks in after 7 days of the 5th booking (see rules below), so he would be possibly available. Taylor, I believe is 50/50 at this point.

View attachment 34112
Chris Phillips doesn’t seem to be aware

Lots of people suggesting about Wind at left back, Gus at centre back, etc, but it's not conclusive both Ralph and Taylor are out for Saturday.

As I understand, Ralph's suspension only kicks in after 7 days of the 5th booking (see rules below), so he would be possibly available. Taylor, I believe is 50/50 at this point.

View attachment 34112
Not sure where you’ve sourced that, but The FA’s Disciplinary regulations state as follows:
IMG_5723.jpeg

The National League, together with the Premier League and EFL, is in Category 1, so a suspension for the accumulation of cautions or a red card commences immediately.

Suspensions in National League North/South and below, right the way down to grassroots, commence seven days after the date of the offence.

Nathan Ralph’s suspension is confirmed on The FA website here: https://www.thefa.com/football-rule...ubdiscipline?status=0&league=28&club=10607787

Not sure where you’ve sourced that, but The FA’s Disciplinary regulations state as follows:
View attachment 34115

The National League, together with the Premier League and EFL, is in Category 1, so a suspension for the accumulation of cautions or a red card commences immediately.

Suspensions in National League North/South and below, right the way down to grassroots, commence seven days after the date of the offence.

Nathan Ralph’s suspension is confirmed on The FA website here: https://www.thefa.com/football-rule...ubdiscipline?status=0&league=28&club=10607787
Regrettably so and is what gives rise to the notional of a frivolous appeal to delay, and the associated further penalty if unsuccessful

Dont think I would move Wind to left back , especially as he plays on the right and Kevs already said hes doing well ( ) behind Gus and i suspect thats going well in practice too, Hes looked pretty good to me so far and with good potential

"Full-back George Wind could provide another option if needed for the Shrimpers.

And Maher confirmed the summer signing was in contention for his first start.

“It's been difficult in terms of the minutes he's been able to get so far,” said Maher.

“Obviously Gus has been doing brilliantly but George has trained really well.

“He's someone who has to come into our thinking for Saturday."

Sport

GATESHEAD midfielder Regan Booty is striving for more happy memories of Southend this weekend.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
He's been so impressive when I've seen him play. They always seem to have a good CAM, it was Wearne before him. I'm sure it was stated on here that we were linked to Booty at one point. I still think we are missing that type of player. Keeping him quiet will be high on the agenda, a lot goes through him.

I'm waiting for Moncur to ignite in that role. As good as he's been, the final shot has been off. He had two great chances on Tuesday and leant back and had the wrong body shape. I'm just hoping once one goes in, the rhythm will stick.

Last edited:
Colin
Wind Crowther Gubbins GSM
Morton Husin
KAF Moncur Bridge
Bonne
I'm not sure we can do better than that given the suspension/injuries?

Colin
Wind Crowther Gubbins GSM
Morton Husin
KAF Moncur Bridge
Bonne
I'm not sure we can do better than that given the suspension/injuries?

i'd stick with a back three with Wind on the right of it and keep GSM in his natural position. Give either Moncur or Noor a rest and start with the two up front.

i'd stick with a back three with Wind on the right of it and keep GSM in his natural position. Give either Moncur or Noor a rest and start with the two up front.
Only concern is you're sticking a RWB who hasn't started a game at this level out of position at RCB. It's fine going forward, he'll go out to the RB position that Taylor covers GSM with, but defensively I think it will leave us weak.

Tough choices and for sure The Amigos will have been chewing on this since before Tuesday BUT the Taylor injury will have thrown those ideas into a new mix.
How about Noor playing as a sweeper in line with Gubbs and Crowther? He reads the game, not slow, and can make a tackle?
.................................Collin..........................
......Gubbs... Noor ......Crowther.....
GSM, KAF, Morts, Moncur, JB
Pep..........Bonne

I think it will depend on whether Wind has ever played at RCB before. We know Gus has so needs must if Taylor, as suspected, doesn’t make it.

My starting XI

Collin

GSM Crowther Gubbins

Wind Morton KAF Bridge

Moncur

Pepple Bonne

Subs - whoever’s left!​

Oh ye of little faith voting for Southend to lose!

The defence will clearly have a different makeup to usual, but keep the faith. Maybe Gus RCB, Crowther CCB and Gubbins LCB with Wind RWB? Yes it’s not ideal but in the circumstances…
Smacks of Chesterfield last year. The defence will be shored up for sure, but if they score 4, we'll score 5.

Back