• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Gateshead, Saturday 28th September, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Results

• Total voters
It’s a shame we’re missing a few players for this one, I think a fully fit team against Gateshead would have really given us a clear indication where we’re at as a team.. Gateshead look an incredible well drilled outfit who will no doubt play an envious direct attacking style of football.

This will be an interesting one.

Elvis. Portsmouth. Still have nightmares.

If the alternative were Gus at CB then still probably better than a back four where I would put Morton in there (at least he’s left footed). Neither Guss or Wind have ever played LB as far as I can tell. (Btw Morton’s never played LB either)

Trouble with Gus at CB is he’s also never played there (and he’s out top scorer in his natural position). No obvious solution if we don’t bring someone in. And what we do if Gubbins or Crowther get injured early on who knows. At least we’re not playing a side renowned for their attacking prowess…oh hold on…
Remember that match, like a 🦆 out of 🚿water. We all held our breath everytime the ball went his way !!

Just sign Calum butcher.! Everything was agreed but Kev isn’t sure. Obviously he won’t be match fit yet but no player is going to be match fit whoever we get in.

You want to sign a player that by your own admission the manager isn't sure about? Sounds a great recruitment strategy.

BTW - a loan player who had been playing regularly in someone's reserves will be more match-fit than someone who's been without a club.

Collin

Gus
Crowther
Morton
Gubbins
Bridge

KAF
Moncur
Husin

Pepple
Walker

Start with Morton in middle of back three and see how he goes. Could be inspired but could be a disaster! Walker in for Bonne as he does not look fully fit to me. May be more dangerous off the bench.

Another thought for Saturday, with Ralph out and Cav injured, who will be captain? I seem to recall Gus wore the armband a couple of times last season.

Easily the best footballing team I saw last season in this league, move the ball forward so well, their midfield 3 are brilliant.
Their games against us last season really exhibited just how good they are as a footballing side but I was particularly impressed when I went to Wembley for the non-league finals day (you must go if you've not been, great day) with how they played. Both them and Solihull played great football and the standard compared to Great Wakering and Romford was ridiculous.

I'm saying it now, because I know certain fans will moan if we lose to a team that 'only gets 1000 fans', that losing to this side doesn't mean Maher should be sacked! They are a quality team at this level that have integrated and immersed themselves into their style over a long period of time. That style can sometimes go against sides at this level, which is why they've lost a couple, one of which was a heavy one. But they have proved how good they can be. So please don't start the witch hunt if it doesn't go the way we want it to on Saturday. Beating them with our best 11 and with Cardwell, Kensdale and Miley all in place would be a great result, let alone trying to get one with our abysmally light squad.

I'm really hoping for some freshness to be injected into the side so we can get on the front foot with that dominant press, but I don't know where that will come from. I'm hoping playing at home, against a good playoff pushing side, will conjure up enough adrenaline to get that response. Pepple and Bonne will feel Walker waiting to take their shirt, so that will hopefully kick them into gear. Their style should play into our hands too. Utb!

Wind has looked good in both brief cameos. No problem at RCB with Gus at remaining at RWB. Wind looks promising to me and I think the two of them will do a good job and would pro0bably be reminded by Kev and Co of working their defensive responsibilities together, if not already practicing it

I tipped Pepple for a hat-trick vs Solihull and he scored 2, so I'm saying a brace for Bonne, who will finally show us why he was on fire that season or two at Orient. As far as the defence goes, I'd keep people in their 'usual' positions as much as possible, certainly wouldn't move Gus. I'd move Morton in alongside Crowther (RCB) and Gubbins (LCB) probably .. I can't see Kev doing anything too drastic or going to 4 at the back.

Collin
Gus - Crowther - Morton - Gubbins - Bridge
Husin - KAF
Moncur
Pepple - Bonne

Back