• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Gateshead, Saturday 28th September, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Results

• Total voters
I did suggest a flat back 4. So left wing
Ha ha so who is right wing?
Just put your team down in full.

Knowing how they play, we have done really well with them previously by playing the aggressive press - something that we have not done for a while I feel.

with that in mind, if we don't sign emergency cover then I'd go with:

Collin

Gus

 Morton
Crowther
Gubbins

Bridge

Husin

KAF
Moncur

Bonne
Pepple

I would be willing to play Morton at the back purely as a possession keeper with a licence to travel l. Gateshead arrive with runners into the box and are brilliant at attacking with speed.

It's going to be interesting to see how we play full stop.

William Best is the SUEPA guest on Saturday. He may well never come again, so do please give him a huge welcome. He'll also do a HT Q&A. We will be presenting him with a framed print.
View attachment 34105
Absolutely fabulous tribute. Indisputably the best player I've ever watched in 60 years of coming to Roots Hall. So looking forward to seeing him again when we come up from Sussex for the game.

I'd loved to be proved wrong but I can't see anything other than defeat in this one.

The fact that they concede 7 against daggers proves they are vulnerable defensively. We need to really go at them but will likely go sideways and backwards a
If players don't run beyond the ball and find space then the ball is more likely to be passed. Personally I would much rather watch that happen than see aimless balls played long. Even Cardwell wouldn't have thrived on that sort of service.

I think we underplay how challenging it is for someone who has only ever played wing back or full back, and never at CB, to just slot in there. Easy on the keyboard tough in reality.

If Wind or Gus had to go RCB then I would go Gus as he is also good in the air (in a way a bit like Ralph who has made a similar move very successfully). I wouldn’t go back four- everything we do over many months has been built about 352. Even worse Gateshead would be the perfect storm in terms of taking advantage and over running our resulting two man CM.

I think we underplay how challenging it is for someone who has only ever played wing back or full back, and never at CB, to just slot in there. Easy on the keyboard tough in reality.

If Wind or Gus had to go RCB then I would go Gus as he is also good in the air (in a way a bit like Ralph who has made a similar move very successfully). I wouldn’t go back four- everything we do over many months has been built about 352. Even worse Gateshead would be the perfect storm in terms of taking advantage and over running our resulting two man CM.

very true - and if you have to make the switch it's probably easier to do that in a back three when you're stationed closer to your 'natural' defensive position at full back. I'd go for Wind there, but that's more to do with wanting to keep one of our most impactful players in his best position.

We are struggling big time due too many reasons but once injured players are back and we can bring in more players our consistency will improve.
Thing is, there will always be players out. Just as Walker is coming back, we lose Taylor to injury and Ralph to a suspension. Our squad size is going to continue being an issue until more depth is added.

Back