• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dagenham & Redbridge, Monday 26th August, 15:00k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question... do you mean Wind?

If so, I'm not sure I'd take one off our best players (and top scorer) so far this season to give an untried player, just acquired from the league below, a 30 min run out in what might be a combative match.
Thanks correcting my typo.
On balance your right.
But I see a good player for the future.

Is pikey a racist term? Last time we were at Millwall the chant of pikies was used more than once towards the home supporters.

Is pikey a racist term? Last time we were at Millwall the chant of pikies was used more than once towards the home supporters.
From a Parliamentary Committee paper on Bullying & Racism I believe:
[10] For the majority of Roma communities, use of the word ‘Gypsy‘ is considered offensive. English Romany Gypsies use this as an accepted term for themselves but when used against a Roma person, this is usually offensive.

[11] ‘Pikey’ is a racist slur referring to members of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities. The word is probably derived from the word ‘turnpike’ from the nineteenth century

Pikey is 100% racist. What I find amusing is how it’s Dagenham that chant that towards us. They clearly don’t live in the **** hole known as Dagenham. Also the whole pikey caravan thing stems firm Canvey island and not Southend but fior some reason the idiots from east London don’t seem to realise this

Southend United Football Club

rptdsSnoeo4722t8tmmc8c7m131u4l4c1gcg978i0t8mf2if89tm1mg767a3 ·

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#

🙌
We've passed 8,000 ticket sales!

Several blocks are sold out, with the best availability in the South Stand Lower.
Buy here
👉
https://tinyurl.com/mtzjx8b3
May be an image of text

Doesn’t offend me as you put it as I am not from that community. However it is considered to be a racist term.

I recommend you go into one of the traveller communities and see how far you get using that language. Then you’ll know.

Anyway I’ll say no more as this is a match thread and didn’t want to start a debate on this.

Doesn’t offend me as you put it as I am not from that community. However it is considered to be a racist term.

I recommend you go into one of the traveller communities and see how far you get using that language. Then you’ll know.

Anyway I’ll say no more as this is a match thread and didn’t want to start a debate on this.
wow - now turned if to a completely different kind of match related conversation .

That's not why she hasn't been to be fair, she's a Slimming World Consultant and is normally involved with groups.
Wondering how long it will be before some numpty asks if she's coming down to have a chat with Moncur.

(Disclaimer... I've defended him when some posters called him 'fat' and said he's carrying a fair bit of timber... so don't take this the wrong way).

Has long been considered a racist slur, and I remember it used to come up a lot on here in Freddy’s time when opposition fans would regular use it against him and us. I remember being at the spurs away quarter final game when one guy we were with was (wrongly) accused of shouting something antisemitic by stewards while at that very moment the spurs fans were singing something about pikeys. The steward didn’t see the contradiction
Hieirarchy of racism exists

Last edited:
The ''Pikey'' word for travelers originates from the word Pike that's is a fresh water shark .....

So best watch your backs if there are about ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back