• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Chertsey Town. FA Cup.

Well back to the game and the ratings:

Seadon 6 - very little to do but kicking was a bit iffy from back passes
Howard 7 - grew in to the game as he got used to a back 3 - definite competition for JD
Ralph 9 - just oozes class at this level, hope we can keep him in January
Dunne 6 - did ok, was always encouraging and a good on pitch captain, but distribution needs to be better - but hats off to him in an unfamiliar role
Ferguson 7 - might not have been PB's cup of tea, but he is mine
Atkinson 6 - shadow of former self, had at least two opportunities to shoot but didn't - lack of confidence
Phillips 6 - that is a blend of 5 in the 1st half and 7 in the second half when he played really well and made Walsh's goal and could have had one himself
Egbri 8 - best I have seen him play, no help from the clueless referee as he was continually fouled
Bridge 8 - most good things came through Bridge but would like to see him a bit more central
Murphy 7 - neat finish and works really hard
Dalby 6 - there's a good player here but he wasn't really at it today

Subs
Walsh 7 - very nice finish which will give him a confidence boost
Others not on long enough

Collymore 10 - for energising and uniting the fan base, but a 1 for getting on the touch line and undermining JD by coming on the pitch for an impromptu team talk.

Without Ralph we would have been potentially there for the taking today. He is so far above this level that come January league clubs will come calling.
But when you remember he has more relegations than possibly any other player in our club's history, you maybe realise "hmm maybe this is his level and he's just very good at looking so".

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.
Could be worse Could be aldershot fan tonight.

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.
You ARE kidding arent you? Please say you are.

Enjoyed that, aside from the first five minutes. Sat quite near the director's box in the greens and was great to see Stan so vocal and animated in support of the team.

Plenty of people saying 'it's only Chertsey', I'm not sure who else they were expecting us to beat today. You can't control the fixture list. Personally I was just glad to see a home win and four goals to cheer.

That said the first goal was a shocker and it looked like we were about to hit a new low - Seaden looked unsighted and it caught us cold. We dealt with those long throws well afterwards, clearly lessons were learned.

The back three took a while to get into the game and I can't say I ever felt comfortable with Dunne or Seaden in possession, but Ralph was excellent and Howard grew into the game well.

Chertsey tired in the second half as you would expect, and it exposed our lack of confidence. We must have had five or six opportunities to shoot when well placed and we took an extra touch or two which is a classic sign of no confidence.

That said I thought Demetriou and Coulson showed a calming presence and there were even a few smiles when the players came over to take drinks, something we haven't seen too often. It's not going to turn round overnight, but that is a start.

The fan who was abusing Kargbo before he'd even come onto the pitch was a disgrace. The kid heard it too, make no mistake. What exactly did he hope to achieve by this? Kargbo is 19 years old. If this is a regular thing in the East Stand, I am starting to see what Rigsby means by clubs being reluctant to lend us their young players because of the abuse from the stand.

Hopefully the South Stand will be open again for the next round if we draw a home tie. Sitting in a packed East Stand was a timely reminder of how much we need to move from Roots Hall, it simply cannot cope with a crowd and the facilities are embarrassing. If a fire broke out there, we'd all be toast. I don't know how people can sit there through choice - that said being next to the director's box was interesting. I didn't see any prospective managers in there though.

I agree but please tell me how he was obviously told by Ron?
I didn't see Ron in the director's box today, maybe he was out of my field of vision, but prior to his intervention, Stan was sitting with Tom Lawrence and not Ron.

Back