• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Chertsey Town. FA Cup.

What was so refreshing about yesterday was that, unusually, I woke up with a feeling of a little optimism. For once it felt as though it could be a new dawn, with the involvement of SVC giving some much - needed transparency to what was going on behind the scenes. And although at 0-1 after a few minutes it did seem to be a false dawn, ultimately it was not a case of match day ruined by the match. And now we can await the FA CUP first round draw today and the announcement of the new manager this week. Time to pull together and get behind the team.

Some proper odd comments on here.

Firstly we’ll done JD avoiding a proper banana skin, let’s be honest after the last few years, would we be that surprised if we didn’t win??

Scoring 4 goals is a good achievement at any level and sharing the goals around helps confidence.

Very much a makeshift defence with Howard making his first start of the season & Dunne playing his first match in that position.

Stan coming down to talk to the players was a good touch, shows that others want to help. This was a one off for JD so can’t see the issue at all.

Onwards and upwards.

Well back to the game and the ratings:

Seadon 6 - very little to do but kicking was a bit iffy from back passes
Howard 7 - grew in to the game as he got used to a back 3 - definite competition for JD
Ralph 9 - just oozes class at this level, hope we can keep him in January
Dunne 6 - did ok, was always encouraging and a good on pitch captain, but distribution needs to be better - but hats off to him in an unfamiliar role
Ferguson 7 - might not have been PB's cup of tea, but he is mine
Atkinson 6 - shadow of former self, had at least two opportunities to shoot but didn't - lack of confidence
Phillips 6 - that is a blend of 5 in the 1st half and 7 in the second half when he played really well and made Walsh's goal and could have had one himself
Egbri 8 - best I have seen him play, no help from the clueless referee as he was continually fouled
Bridge 8 - most good things came through Bridge but would like to see him a bit more central
Murphy 7 - neat finish and works really hard
Dalby 6 - there's a good player here but he wasn't really at it today

Subs
Walsh 7 - very nice finish which will give him a confidence boost
Others not on long enough

Collymore 10 - for energising and uniting the fan base, but a 1 for getting on the touch line and undermining JD by coming on the pitch for an impromptu team talk.
did i not read J D said stan is like a breath of fresh air at the club .And he seemed to say he was pleased in help him out .every little helped on the day .

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.
Games are played over 90 minutes not 9.

Even Leicester had to come back from conceding an early goal to win 4-2.

Well I enjoyed that. East stand terrible. My bum was in extreme pain. A bit too boney these days. Needed a cushion. The crowd around me OK. A few moans when Kargbo came on. Pathetic losers. In the long term Demi and Coulson might make a decent managers. Cool, calm collected. I'm still a bit confused about the tiers. I thought we were tier 5 now. Wikipedia says Chertsey's league is tier 7 and Essex Senior League is tier 8. Is this right?

Didn't see Ron there today - is that 2 games in a row that he's missed?

I thought JD looked a bit lost today and was not nearly as vocal as he is when playing - it took an intervention from Stan to come down to gee up the team and rather than get involved and speak to any of the players, JD and Coulson just turn their backs and let him get on with it (can't imagine Phil Brown being so timid!). Thanks for your passion Stan, although I'm sure more experienced managers wouldn't thank you for it during a game - today it was necessary due to the inexperience of those in charge.

Also noticed that Stan has an incredibly loud whistle, which he used to try to attract the attention of players during the game in the same way as Phil Brown did.

I thought Ralph, Bridge and Ferguson were the stand out players today and gives an incoming manager something to work with, along with the 2 strikers who were a bit out of sorts. Rob Howard had a decent debut. Wasn't impressed with Phillips or Atko in the middle and Egbri, although willing, seems to have no end product. Seaden still doesn't look ready for 1st team action to me.

For a team with no recognised centre backs in it, we did OK and I'm just pleased to get another win and make the 1st round proper.
This is what some of our younger players need. I watch him yesterday go down to the pitch sitting so close to the dug out. Normally I can see sod all being in the West and with my eyesight not so good now.
A cool hand and reassuring pat on the back with encouragement can go a long way. Look at the way Stan reassures them and supports them and look at the body language he sends out.
I have said all along I had concerns around the players confidence

Well back to the game and the ratings:

Seadon 6 - very little to do but kicking was a bit iffy from back passes
Howard 7 - grew in to the game as he got used to a back 3 - definite competition for JD
Ralph 9 - just oozes class at this level, hope we can keep him in January
Dunne 6 - did ok, was always encouraging and a good on pitch captain, but distribution needs to be better - but hats off to him in an unfamiliar role
Ferguson 7 - might not have been PB's cup of tea, but he is mine
Atkinson 6 - shadow of former self, had at least two opportunities to shoot but didn't - lack of confidence
Phillips 6 - that is a blend of 5 in the 1st half and 7 in the second half when he played really well and made Walsh's goal and could have had one himself
Egbri 8 - best I have seen him play, no help from the clueless referee as he was continually fouled
Bridge 8 - most good things came through Bridge but would like to see him a bit more central
Murphy 7 - neat finish and works really hard
Dalby 6 - there's a good player here but he wasn't really at it today

Subs
Walsh 7 - very nice finish which will give him a confidence boost
Others not on long enough

Collymore 10 - for energising and uniting the fan base, but a 1 for getting on the touch line and undermining JD by coming on the pitch for an impromptu team talk.
agree with everything you've said. And you put it better than I could.
It's exactly what I saw at the game.

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.
Pathetic attempt at being controversial/funny……go away!

You're supporting the wrong team then if you're on a promise. I'd suggest supporting, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City. Though, it could be she likes you supporting Southend and we never win so she doesn't have to do the deed ;)
sounds like my wife, she married to some other poor ******* as well?

Last edited:
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the game (East Blacks seats apart, how uncomfortable are they?!!), and it's a long time since I've been able to say that.

Impeccably observed tribute to Sir David Amess at the start.

Good to see the team properly UNITED, with the coaching from the senior players, Demi on the touchline, often with Coulson alongside, and then Stan coming down to reassure and inspire with a few well chosen words and pats on the back.

It was a nervy start and quite predictable given our recent record, that we'd concede early on. You see it so often in Cup games with the under-dog taking an early advantage. Fortunately we were able to turn things around, with Ferguson's goal just a short while after and then a disallowed Dalby goal as Egbri's excellent cross was adjudged to have gone out (we didn't think it did, we were right on the end of the seats and it looked a perfectly judged cross), before a fantastic bit of work from Jack Bridge gave Rhys Murphy the relatively simple task of putting the ball in the net.

Second half, it was clear Chertsey were tiring and we just stepped it up a gear, while Chertsey took to fouling Egbri at every opportunity as they couldn't cope with him. Atkinson showed glimpses of his old self with some good runs and interplay but, unfortunately took a touch or two too many and failed to shoot when the opportunities arose. Two more goals did follow though, of course, from Ralph and Walsh.

Thought Louis Walsh was the obvious sub to make and he came on for a battered Egbri a bit later than I personally would have liked, but showed some real quality when he did. Rush and Kargbo followed for Murphy and Dalby.

I thought the three defenders worked very hard in their unfamiliar roles, Ralph is just quality wherever he is played, and I thought young Rob Howard did himself every favour with his performance. A word of praise though, for James Dunne, playing the central one of a three man defence, something I doubt he's played before. He was actually really good with defensive headers and did his best with the ball at his feet - you can't ask for more than that.

Phillips and Ferguson also did well in supporting the defence and getting forwards. All in all, it was a good day at the office, and they should all feel pleased with their contributions yesterday.

Seaden - 6, still need to be convinced about him, could have done better for the goal and some of his kicking was not good
Howard - 7.5, stepped up to the mark and showed that we have more than adequate cover for Demi
Dunne - 7, led by example, marshalled the other two well
Ralph - 8, just quality
Egbri - 7, kept at it and was a real thorn in their sides
Ferguson - 7.5, we're seeing much more often now the player that we thought was in there when he first came, growing in confidence and composure
Phillips - 7, a few mistakes early on but settled down and gave a solid performance
Atkinson - 6.5, probably the best we've seen of him since he returned, got in some good positions and played the ball nicely at times
Bridge - 8.5, MOTM - just pips it for me, quality on that left side and some excellent deliveries
Murphy - 7.5, Chertsey defence couldn't cope with him and resorted to some fouls, proper niggly performance making himself a nuisance
Dalby - 6.5, not at his best and not given any protection by the officials, continuously fouled

Subs:
Walsh for Egbri - 7, wasn't on for very long so can't really score higher, but showed some lovely touches and scored
Rush for Murphy - N/A, barely touched the ball
Kargbo for Dalby - N/A, can't really mark him but good to see him confident enough to try a long distance shot

You can only beat what’s in front of you and at 1~0 down alarm bells were ringing. However 4-1 Ft was the least we deserved. We had a makeshift side especially in defence and I’m happy we got past this potential banana skin. In truth we should have scored more and we still seem to lack that ruthless streak but that comes from confidence and who knows how important this win will prove.

great to see Stan here and passing on his views on the touch line, possibly the kick up the arse they needed. Long may it continue.

Season- should have done better with the goal, otherwise looked ok although kicking suspect
Howard- showed what he could do and was solid and got forward when able
Dunne- makeshift CB and did ok apart from giving the ball away numerous times
Ralph-Mom, Class and deserved his goal
Bridge - close second to a Ralph as mom and a constant thorn in the Chertsey side
Egbri- found his level today, don’t get the standing ovation when he went off. A one trick pony who spends more time falling over than doing anything creative
Atkinson- tried hard, but legs have gone, should have shot twice when he had the chance rather than try to walk it in
Ferguson- played well and deserved his goal
Phillips- also played Well, no idea why PB dropped him
Murphy- battled hard and also deserved his goal
Dalby- a tad disapointed with him today. Again worked hard but nothing really happened for him

Walsh- excellent cameo, took his goal well, should start ahead of egbri
Garbo- don’t. Think he. Did much at all
Rush- some nice touches but again didn’t do much
Regards Egbri. Ok he’s got some work to do but he took players on, got crosses in, also tried to cut inside and drive into the box. What you want wide players doing. He’s attack minded, even if it doesn’t always result in an end product and he gets shoved off the ball - a lot.

I agree Walsh should start ahead of him (like Ferguson and Ralph he just looks to have something about him). I’ll be interested to see how Egbri fares under a good, attack minded coaching team and of course with Stan encouraging from the sidelines.

Didn't realise I said anything that could be taken in jest. That goal and and the subsequent attack that should have seen us go 0-2 down was seriously the most embarrassed I've felt as a Shrimper. More so than the 1-0 to Dover. Up the team, sod off Jason.
England went 1-0 down to San Marino once as well... Good job they don't blow the final whistle after 5 minutes, eh?

I must admit after 9 minutes when we were nearly 2-0 down I was dreading the outcome but put it down to the fact that we were playing without any central defenders and it just took them some time to settle. We won 4-1 and to be honest it could have been 6 or 7.

Bit of an overreaction there.

Didn't realise I said anything that could be taken in jest. That goal and and the subsequent attack that should have seen us go 0-2 down was seriously the most embarrassed I've felt as a Shrimper. More so than the 1-0 to Dover. Up the team, sod off Jason.
‘Should have seen us go 0-2 down’... but didn’t.

What if’s eh?

Try adding some sugar to that bitter tasting half empty cuppa this morning....

Regards Egbri. Ok he’s got some work to do but he took players on, got crosses in, also tried to cut inside and drive into the box. What you want wide players doing. He’s attack minded, even if it doesn’t always result in an end product and he gets shoved off the ball - a lot.

I agree Walsh should start ahead of him (like Ferguson and Ralph he just looks to have something about him). I’ll be interested to see how Egbri fares under a good, attack minded coaching team and of course with Stan encouraging from the sidelines.
I actually thought Terrell had plenty of end product yesterday and it looks like he's been working on his crossing. Several dangerous crosses went across that penalty box yesterday and he had his full back completely beaten almost every time.

Yes he needs to step it up against step 5 opposition, but if he can even replicate half yesterday's performance against a NL side then he's an asset to the team.

Last edited:
Getting confused again. What is step 4 opposition. From what I can read we are Tier 5. Tier 4 is League 2. This is the third post so far when there seems to be confusion about the tier system. Sure someone can explain.

Getting confused again. What is step 4 opposition. From what I can read we are Tier 5. Tier 4 is League 2. This is the third post so far when there seems to be confusion about the tier system. Sure someone can explain.
You are not alone, I was also getting confused, but have now found this:

Which seems to confirm that we are level 5.

Back