• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Chertsey Town. FA Cup.

I felt today was a no-win situation for us; playing a team three tiers below us at home meant we were expected to win, even without any recognised central defenders and with an interim manager in charge.

When we went 1-0 down early on, and then Chertsey wasted a golden chance to double their lead in the early stages, you feared that we might be capable of reaching a new low, but we reacted well. We didn’t panic, we continued to try to control possession and we grew into the game.

At the back, I think Seaden needs a really good game in the first team to give himself the belief he can be a goalkeeper at this (and a higher) level. He had very little to do today, but the goal we conceded was similar to one of Halifax’s earlier in the season when he was in goal, and I’m not sure if he (as well as others) could have done better. After that, he did what he needed to do.

Once the first 10-15 minutes were out of the way, the back three were good. Dunne organised Ralph and Howard either side of him, and Coulson had some encouragement from the stands as well. Ralph is a class apart, as others have said, but Howard made some crucial interventions on the ground and in the air in the second half, and did himself no harm in unfamiliar territory (he’s played at centre-back in a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 for the U23s, but not in a three, that I can remember).

Egbri and Bridge excelled out wide, but that might have been at least partially due to the opposition. They played as wingers, rather than wing-backs and had little defensive responsibility. Nice work from Bridge to set up Murphy’s goal, and an inviting corner delivery for Ralph’s header; Egbri terrorised Chertsey down the right in spells and did put some decent crosses into the box, although we didn’t get enough bodies forward.

Ferguson and Phillips in the middle probably stood out for me. Both at times dropped deeper to collect from the centre-backs and were also a presence further forward, Ferguson with his goal and Phillips with a couple of assists, the second a delightful through-ball for Walsh. He also put Murphy clear in the first half with a sumptuous pass. Atkinson was a disappointment; surrendered possession too easily in the first half and was ponderous - particularly in the penalty area - in the second. I do think Ferguson and Phillips do need a third body in the centre of the park, though.

I’m pleased for Murphy that he scored. He doesn’t lack confidence and had a number of attempts today. Dalby didn’t have the same influence on the game, but I’m really not concerned by our first-choice front two.

All-in-all, it’s job done and deservedly into the next round. Scoring goals and winning a game can only do good for the new manager coming in, but there’s no doubt there’s still much work to be done.

My observations. After a slow start we grew into the game and Chertsey tired/faded. Stand out players for me were Ralph (great goal) and Ferguson. They just look a class above some of the others. Howard I thought did great. I won’t add negatives (there were some, but doesn’t seem right today).

Well done to Demi for doing a good job from the sidelines.. especially after some of the negative posts on here. Great to see Stan getting involved, encouraging everyone and kicking every ball from the stand. I liked the fact we tried to play a bit more, tried to stick to a game plan and work the wings more with Egbri/Walsh and Bridge. I saw a willingness to take players on and get the ball into the box. So lots of positives, for me. These players will grow in confidence with the right manager and us - the fans - fully behind them.

Last word .. me and my son both agreed, the south is far superior ;)

My observations. After a slow start we grew into the game and Chertsey tired/faded. Stand out players for me were Ralph (great goal) and Ferguson. They just look a class above some of the others. Howard I thought did great. I won’t add negatives (there were some, but doesn’t seem right today).

Well done to Demi for doing a good job from the sidelines.. especially after some of the negative posts on here. Great to see Stan getting involved, encouraging everyone and kicking every ball from the stand. I liked the fact we tried to play a bit more, tried to stick to a game plan and work the wings more with Egbri/Walsh and Bridge. I saw a willingness to take players on and get the ball into the box. So lots of positives, for me. These players will grow in confidence with the right manager and us - the fans - fully behind them.

Last word .. me and my son both agreed, the south is far superior ;)
Have to agree. I sat front in the East, I'm short and it was tight for me. It was so tight it felt like the me and the lady I was sitting next to were in a relationship ?

I was right next to the dugout so all I saw second half were the backs of Coulson and Demi

Can't wait to get back to the South Upper

A magnificent win for the Mighty Blues against Chertsey Town, who incidentally are only 56 places lower than us.

A win is definitely a win though after the week we have had at the club and with half of the squad missing.

Has the Worm turned?

Well done Demi the players and of course Stan. On to the next round for another giant killing.

Over to you people.
Think it’s more than 56 places as it’s a pyramid system so is NL N and S beneath us, then Isthmian Prem, Southern League Prem and Southern League Central and then Northern League. Then beneath that lot is Chertsey.

Worryingly few of our players looked comfortable at this level. We seem to have 3 players: Bridge, Ralph and Ferguson and then assorted others making up the numbers. Fortunately Phillips and Egbri stepped up and showed that might have something more to offer. Egbri might offer no end product but he was willing and stretched Chertsey, tiring them out for Walsh to profit but we are so dependent on Bridge it’s unreal. God help us if he gets injured.
All in all a good confidence booster, helping clear the memory of the Brown nightmare but the new man has his work cut out. It’s clear Atkinson needs putting out of his misery. I’d suggest there are several young Shrimpers out on loan who could offer more. Dunne was out of position but that two year contract scares me. Good to see Rush get a cameo and Walsh too. Howard isn’t the answer long term and Seaden probably not short term but it’s hard to judge him on this opposition.

I haven't read through all posts but as bad a situation it is, what a chain of events this could be as an exercise in team building.

A growing list of injuries. No manager. A cup tie that encourages an upset. A back 3 who, to be fair are all playing out of position. BBC focused heavily on Ralph steering them through the game.

Your teammates are now your coaches, so they're all out of position too.

I hope the narrative was 'this is going to be a tough week but we can get through it if we pull together'. I missed JD's post match interview but I did hear 'they worked for it' from Paul Clark and that I found encouraging.

Last edited:
Think it’s more than 56 places as it’s a pyramid system so is NL N and S beneath us, then Isthmian Prem, Southern League Prem and Southern League Central and then Northern League. Then beneath that lot is Chertsey.

Worryingly few of our players looked comfortable at this level. We seem to have 3 players: Bridge, Ralph and Ferguson and then assorted others making up the numbers. Fortunately Phillips and Egbri stepped up and showed that might have something more to offer. Egbri might offer no end product but he was willing and stretched Chertsey, tiring them out for Walsh to profit but we are so dependent on Bridge it’s unreal. God help us if he gets injured.
All in all a good confidence booster, helping clear the memory of the Brown nightmare but the new man has his work cut out. It’s clear Atkinson needs putting out of his misery. I’d suggest there are several young Shrimpers out on loan who could offer more. Dunne was out of position but that two year contract scares me. Good to see Rush get a cameo and Walsh too. Howard isn’t the answer long term and Seaden probably not short term but it’s hard to judge him on this opposition.
I’m sorry. 2 year deal for Dunne? You are joking right?

Back