• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Chertsey Town. FA Cup.

I should have added that, Chertsey, being Isthmian League south central would be level 8. So, yesterday's game was level 5 v level 8
I'm still not wholly convinced but this seems about right..
yes I think you're right. They confuse me by using Steps as well. It seems Essex Senior League is Tier 9 so whoever said it was like playing them was wrong. We desperately need to get back to Tier 2 which for me was always the impossible dream. It will happen believe me. I think I will be pushing up daisies before then but it will happen.

Getting confused again. What is step 4 opposition. From what I can read we are Tier 5. Tier 4 is League 2. This is the third post so far when there seems to be confusion about the tier system. Sure someone can explain.
The non-league pyramid, known as the National League System (NLS, not to be confused with the National League) is split into individual ‘steps’, starting at Step 1 (National League) down to Step 7 (what used to be known as ‘Intermediate’ football and is the top division of the Essex Olympian League and Essex & Suffolk Border League).

In our area the steps of the NLS are:
Step 1: National League
Step 2: National League South (Billericay Town, Chelmsford City, Concord Rangers)
Step 3: Isthmian Premier (Bowers & Pitsea, Hornchurch)
Step 4: Isthmian North (Aveley, Basildon United, Grays Athletic, Great Wakering Rovers, Hashtag United, Hullbridge Sports)
Step 5: Essex Senior League & Eastern Counties Prem (Southend Manor, White Ensign)
Step 6: Eastern Counties South (Benfleet, Burnham Ramblers)
Step 7: Essex Olympian League & Essex & Suffolk Border League (Catholic United, Leigh Ramblers)

We are at Step 1 of the NLS and Chertsey are at Step 4 (Isthmian South Central).

If you add in the Premier League and EFL, we’re in the fifth tier of English football and Chertsey are in the eighth tier.

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.

Sorry but that's rubbish. The underdogs often score first in matches such as this but end up on the end of a hefty defeat. I remember San Marino going one up against England
The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.

Sorry WSP, but that's rubbish. The underdogs often score first in matches such as this but end up heavily defeated. I remember San Marino scoring against England after eight seconds! They eventually lost 7-1.

Sorry but that's rubbish. The underdogs often score first in matches such as this but end up on the end of a hefty defeat. I remember San Marino going one up against England

Sorry WSP, but that's rubbish. The underdogs often score first in matches such as this but end up heavily defeated. I remember San Marino scoring against England after eight seconds! They eventually lost 7-1.
Fastest goal in International history?

Just seen the highlights. Siad yesterday that Ralph leaps like a Salmon but my god I don't think I've ever seen a plaqer jump that high. He jumps, seems to hang in the air forever then is able to direct his header into the net befoew lowering back to the ground. Insane
Maybe so, and he can type! :D

• Haha
Reactions: RHB
We conceded the type of goal you concede when you have no centre-halves available.

What would be embarrassing was if we then folded but we kept going and got back on level terms shortly afterwards.

Just seen the highlights. Said yesterday that Ralph leaps like a Salmon but my god I don't think I've ever seen a player jump that high. He jumps, seems to hang in the air forever then is able to direct his header into the net before lowering back to the ground. Insane
Also interesting to note that Ralph won a majority of the headers from the long throws they launched into our box!

Dead chuffed for all concerned yesterday. Patched up defence, go behind, but come back. Got to be a confidence boost for everyone at the club and a little show of the positive influence Stan can bring to the club.

Well done to the whole team and caretaker management team too!

Upwards from here UTB!

I think like most I would have settled for this result at 5pm last week, and, even at 305 yesterday afternoon.
I was always hopeful but also very much fearful of the potential result so to win and score four goals will do for me.
I am beyond asking for too much!

Smashing header from ralph, and very good 4th goal too. Hopefully they can take this forward.

Must say it was good to see stan go down and have a word, wonder if his remit will include being in the dugout on a matchday. Or if maybe he can be the guy in the stands with the earpiece. I still reckon you get a much better overall perspective of off the ball movement and whats working and what isnt from sitting in the stands.

Enjoyable game, and great to finally see my first live win since the final League 1 game pre covid. Chertsey were probably technically one of the poorest sides we’ve ever played competitively, but to bounce back from 1 down to win convincingly was a refreshing change. Hopefully the result will help to rebuild some of the shattered confidence within the squad.

Seadon 5 - I’ll admit I’d be worried if he starts next week. Looks hesitant and two terrible kicks could have been pounced on by better opposition. On the plus side he’s got a great accurate long throw, he needs to utilise this more often.
Howard 6 - Solid if unspectacular, as he’s a right back playing slightly out of position in a back 3, I don’t think he’s done his chances of playing more regularly any harm.
Dunne 5 - Thrown in the deep end at CB with our current injuries, some of his passing early on with time on the ball was shocking. Settled down and improved thankfully.
Ralph 9 - Fantastic, showed his class and read the game superbly. What a leap for the goal too!
Egbri 7 - Showed some great dribbling skills and close control, still picks the wrong option sometimes, but his crossing, especially in the first half, was better. I hope he brings that positive attacking intent into the next game.
Phillips 7 - Okay first half, the highlight was the assist for Ferguson’s goal. Seemed to grow in confidence after the break and got another assist. It bemuses me why Brown ostracised him for one poor performance…
Atkinson 5 - Looked better with more time on the ball but still disappointing overall. Two decent chances to shoot late on spurned summed up his match.
Bridge 8 - Very impressive and looked a real threat every time he ran with the ball. Great run to give Murphy a tap in.
Dalby 5 - Had an off day, touch seemed heavy and not much came off.
Murphy 7 - Hit and miss, but kept working hard trying to make things happen and in the right place to grab a goal.

Subs
Walsh 7 - Took his goal well after recovering from a dodgy first touch.
Rush & Kargbo - Not enough time to rate.

Edit - I missed Ferguson! I’ll give him a 7, decent enough and a nice finish for the equaliser. Like Phillips, another who was unfairly singled out by Brown IMO.

Last edited:
It was good to be back with a buzz at the ground. Despite going one goal down I didn’t feel for a second we wouldn’t come back. Pretty much agree with everyone else on here. Ralph was excellent and seemed to hang in the air for 5 minutes to get his goal. When Bridge was given the ball we looked dangerous and Fergie was far more athletic today. Thought Walsh for Egbri should have happened earlier and would have preferred to see Davis instead of Atkinson and played a 442.

Minutes silence was impeccable and the guy who looked like a Hillbilly who had lost his trailer shouting at Kargbo was a disgrace.

@StanleyVictorCollymore has got a massive task this week as part of the selection committee but I wonder if he could also call in a favour or two to loan a couple of decent prem u23 centre half’s as I think the daggers will pose a different threat and don’t think Dunne is up to that role especially if they have a bit of height.

Back