• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Chertsey Town. FA Cup.

Didn't see Ron there today - is that 2 games in a row that he's missed?

I thought JD looked a bit lost today and was not nearly as vocal as he is when playing - it took an intervention from Stan to come down to gee up the team and rather than get involved and speak to any of the players, JD and Coulson just turn their backs and let him get on with it (can't imagine Phil Brown being so timid!). Thanks for your passion Stan, although I'm sure more experienced managers wouldn't thank you for it during a game - today it was necessary due to the inexperience of those in charge.

Also noticed that Stan has an incredibly loud whistle, which he used to try to attract the attention of players during the game in the same way as Phil Brown did.

I thought Ralph, Bridge and Ferguson were the stand out players today and gives an incoming manager something to work with, along with the 2 strikers who were a bit out of sorts. Rob Howard had a decent debut. Wasn't impressed with Phillips or Atko in the middle and Egbri, although willing, seems to have no end product. Seaden still doesn't look ready for 1st team action to me.

For a team with no recognised centre backs in it, we did OK and I'm just pleased to get another win and make the 1st round proper.

Well back to the game and the ratings:

Seadon 6 - very little to do but kicking was a bit iffy from back passes
Howard 7 - grew in to the game as he got used to a back 3 - definite competition for JD
Ralph 9 - just oozes class at this level, hope we can keep him in January
Dunne 6 - did ok, was always encouraging and a good on pitch captain, but distribution needs to be better - but hats off to him in an unfamiliar role
Ferguson 7 - might not have been PB's cup of tea, but he is mine
Atkinson 6 - shadow of former self, had at least two opportunities to shoot but didn't - lack of confidence
Phillips 6 - that is a blend of 5 in the 1st half and 7 in the second half when he played really well and made Walsh's goal and could have had one himself
Egbri 8 - best I have seen him play, no help from the clueless referee as he was continually fouled
Bridge 8 - most good things came through Bridge but would like to see him a bit more central
Murphy 7 - neat finish and works really hard
Dalby 6 - there's a good player here but he wasn't really at it today

Subs
Walsh 7 - very nice finish which will give him a confidence boost
Others not on long enough

Collymore 10 - for energising and uniting the fan base, but a 1 for getting on the touch line and undermining JD by coming on the pitch for an impromptu team talk.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to Stan's intervention than meets the eye. Think change is in the wind, and not before time.

The most embarrassed I've felt as a Southend fan was when Demetriou took us 0-1 down. 0-1 down to a sodding tier eight side. I don't care how it ultimately finished, Jason Demetriou prepared and lead a team that ended up 0-1 down to a tier eight side. Never again. Get him out of our club. At least the rest of the side was competent enough to pick up from the shambles he left us in. Never again, Demetriou.
You know he only had one recognised first team defender available and no recognised CB. We won 4-1 and that's all that matters.

I can just Imagine Man Utd fans wanting Alex Ferguson to sod off out of the club when they won the Champions League 2-1. Alex Ferguson prepared and led a team that at one point were 1-0 down. What an idiot Alex Ferguson is right?

Don't mistake my loyalty to Southend for judgement of Demetriou that I think he is not above. He wants to take charge, he can accept the flak when he doesn't do things right.
Clearly a troll! To be honest today would have been a tough game for the club mentally. Not only having the pressure of knowing that if we didn’t win the atmosphere would have got extremely toxic but to go 1-0 down and fight back is actually a credit to the players. Yes they may be a number of leagues below us but for them this game was huge and these are often banana skins. Wrexham for example only just rescued a reply right at the end against Marine and Aldershot lost to bowers to name a few just from today.

Against a tier eight pub team who ran out of legs after 50 minutes.
Third biggest win of the round, and probably best not to mention "pub sides" to the likes of Wrexham and Aldershot today.

Demetriou had a couple of days to prepare and managers can only do so much from the sidelines, their goal was a shocker I will give you that but that's down to the makeshift defenders and the young goalkeeper rather than the man standing 50 yards away in the dugout.

Decent performance after a shaky start

Seadon 5

Howard 6
Ralph 8
Dunne 5

Egbri 6
Bridge 8

Ferguson 7
Atko 6
Phillips 6

murphy 6
Dalby 6

Key notes
Dunne can’t pass even when given time and space

Egbri was brilliant on the ball, but too keen to do tricks to get past people. He was 3 times as fast as the left back but rarely tried to get past him on the outside. He went inside, got into a muscle battle and fell over. Bridge on the other side looked dangerous every time. Louis Walsh came on and scored, Egbri give the same chance wouldn’t have got a goal.

Pet hate of mine here. Most of our chants at the end were having a go at chertsy for being ******* ****. Why? Personally, 3 weeks ago I’d never heard of the place, so what were people expecting and why does it matter? Applaud them for turning up and support our team. Ohh Stanley Stanley…; Ooh Andy Ansah; Wiggle it just a little bit; Create some chants for our players. Cheer them on.

Third biggest win of the round, and probably best not to mention "pub sides" to the likes of Wrexham and Aldershot today.

Demetriou had a couple of days to prepare and managers can only do so much from the sidelines, their goal was a shocker I will give you that but that's down to the makeshift defenders and the young goalkeeper rather than the man standing 50 yards away in the dugout.
Aye it's not whatsoever the organisation of and what the backline and the keeper do that's at least partly the responsibility of the manager. Come on, Jai, I normally agree with what you say, but you're better than that.

JD can claim whatever influence (lest Stan's ?) that he thinks he has for Ferguson's equaliser, Bridge's ingenious running for the second, Ralph's positioning for the third or Walsh ease of run and finish for the fourth, but the pit of being a Blues fan has to be in the first twenty minutes when our race felt run against a tier eight team. Thanks Jason, but no thanks.

Aye it's not whatsoever the organisation of and what the backline and the keeper do that's at least partly the responsibility of the manager. Come on, Jai, I normally agree with what you say, but you're better than that.

JD can claim whatever influence (lest Stan's ?) that he thinks he has for Ferguson's equaliser, Bridge's ingenious running for the second, Ralph's positioning for the third or Walsh ease of run and finish for the fourth, but the pit of being a Blues has to be in the first twenty minutes when our race felt run against a tier eight team. Thanks Jason, but no thanks.
You can do all the work you like on the training field but if you have a makeshift back line like that, playing together for the first time, these things can happen - some would say it is the beauty of football. Managers can do all the preparation in the world but it's the players that cross the white line and from then on, they are mainly responsible.

Regardless, I would prefer to judge JD's managerial bow on the positives, such as the improved energy and performance of the players, the first time we've scored four in a home match for three and a half years, and some of his positive words after the match.

Don't worry, he won't be in charge again.

You can only beat what’s in front of you and at 1~0 down alarm bells were ringing. However 4-1 Ft was the least we deserved. We had a makeshift side especially in defence and I’m happy we got past this potential banana skin. In truth we should have scored more and we still seem to lack that ruthless streak but that comes from confidence and who knows how important this win will prove.

great to see Stan here and passing on his views on the touch line, possibly the kick up the arse they needed. Long may it continue.

Season- should have done better with the goal, otherwise looked ok although kicking suspect
Howard- showed what he could do and was solid and got forward when able
Dunne- makeshift CB and did ok apart from giving the ball away numerous times
Ralph-Mom, Class and deserved his goal
Bridge - close second to a Ralph as mom and a constant thorn in the Chertsey side
Egbri- found his level today, don’t get the standing ovation when he went off. A one trick pony who spends more time falling over than doing anything creative
Atkinson- tried hard, but legs have gone, should have shot twice when he had the chance rather than try to walk it in
Ferguson- played well and deserved his goal
Phillips- also played Well, no idea why PB dropped him
Murphy- battled hard and also deserved his goal
Dalby- a tad disapointed with him today. Again worked hard but nothing really happened for him

Walsh- excellent cameo, took his goal well, should start ahead of egbri
Garbo- don’t. Think he. Did much at all
Rush- some nice touches but again didn’t do much

Back