• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

That was quite simply one of the most complete performances I have seen from a Southend team for years.
Yes Oldham were poor, but we made them look far inferior by the way we played. Controlled possession... incisive passing all afternoon. We were on a different planet today and I was so pleased that in the end we got the goals to match the performance.
Nathan Ralph....take a bow sir. That was your best performance in a Southend shirt. He was incredible and didn't put a foot wrong during the entire match.
Harry Taylor and Ollie Kensdale were at it all afternoon. Confidently stepping out with the ball and starting our attacks.
Husin and Miley were sublime all afternoon and controlled the midfield, never giving the ball away. Some of the interplay between Wes, Bridge and Ralph in that first half was just too much for Oldham to cope with.
Just as Wes began to tire, to my surprise up stepped Ollie Coker. I had assumed (wrongly) that Jack Wood would the first change, but wow....what an impression Coker made after coming on. Shooting on sight for his brilliant goal, before a delightfully floated ball with his left foot for Cardwell to power home with his head for our much deserved 4th goal. His play in that final 15 minutes was eye catching. He looked confident, has clearly been working on building up his physique over the summer and displayed some fantastic touches as we played our way both around, and through Oldham.

Also I was so pleased to see Powell get our opener. He gets a lot of stick, but today he was everywhere and deserved his brilliantly taken goal with a instinctive finish.

Dan Mooney....what a goal....picking the ball up 20 yards inside his own half before moving forward with purpose and curling the ball around the Oldham keeper's outstretched right hand. That's what he has in his locker and we need him to empty it more often.

Final word has to go to Kev.....we are so lucky to have him as our manager. He must have had a lump in his throat at full time. He, along with all our supporters will be rightly proud of our team tonight. That performance and atmosphere will live long in the memory.

Now that is how to start a season off.... it hasn't sunk in yet!

For those who missed it today, let me explain what that felt like…

I’d marry that game and father a bunch of mini-games with it.
Would you exchange the vintage Porsche for a Renault Espace for that game though? That’s the real question…

To say that we completely owned that game would be an understatement. We dominated across the pitch, our passing game was spot on and everybody wanted to do well. It was almost like everyone, players, coaches and crowd were banishing the woes of the summer for 90 minutes. The team were terrific, the crowd was terrific and I couldn't have asked for a better belated Birthday present. I suppose I should have described our goals, but quite honestly I'm too drained to do that at the moment. Suffice to say that every goal was a peach in it's own right.

It might have just been the emotion of the moment that sparked such a good result, but if Oldham are considered to be one of the promotion favourites then we won't be too far off if we keep the squad fit.

Christ, I'm so happy even with the huge amount of extra time in both halves. Big decision now go to Daggers or watch at home.

Superb performance from the players, fans and management.

Looks like we have found a decent CB in Taylor, didn't put a foot wrong
Coker came on and showed what he can do. Just before his goal, he played a sublime defence splitting ball that Mooney just didn't read well enough. Then Coker puts the ball right in the corner of the net to send the crowd wild
The Mooney I saw today isn't a player that looks like he wants to leave. He looked like the player we signed and took his goal really well.
Wes was unplayable at times. His first touch control taking a ball down is ridiculous
Cardwell looks like he's at full fitness and fully deserved his goal.
We need strength in depth to keep this up but for today... Just wow

Last edited:
Back