• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

View attachment 28010

Interesting from the Oldham forums. Would explain why tickets were not sold on the day I guess
I think there is a lot of truth in that and it was the council's decision. It is also true the pitch has been narrowed by about a metre either side... There are works going on re the roofs in the West stand. Hopefully we will be back to normal soon.

Back to the post match thread topic now.

Made many a first game, but thanks to Bugfesters of Grandchildren still moping on the sofa a week on, , glad to confess runny eyes had nothing to do with the conjunctivitis !

Absolutely fantastic!

My first game was early 90s and that was up there with one of the best and most enjoyable performances I've seen, there probably have been better if I sit down and really think, but given at one stage I didn't think today would happen, and then when it did, I thought ah well as long as we don't get embarrassed, and to put in a completely faultless display was incredible. I know Taylor got MOM and him along with everyone was superb, but if I had to pick a stand out it was probably Ralph the guy Is the captain and leader of this team and he well and truly led by example

Great opening day result and agreed with everyone that Maher has worked miracles …..it was kind of written in the stars that after all the crap the players and staff have gone through they go and put on that performance .

Colin’s kicking looked better and he commanded his 6 yard box with 3 great claims to flaw their attacks

GSM - something about him I really like , he’s a lower league Neville for me , winds opposing players and crowd up and is busy in everything he does

Kensdale - composed and strong at the back , could do with a big lump next to him when it gets ugly

Taylor - shaky first half but grew into the game and made some crucial tackles

Midfield 3 were everywhere , near in what they did and played some lovely triangles whilst winning their duals

Front 2 worked their socks off and gave their back line the run around all afternoon

Bridge - fab first half but faded a bit in the second

Special mention for Coker who I thought was direct and positive in everything he done - scored one and made one with several runs that broke oldhams back line which was needed after Powell had given them a run around

Hobson - slow in most of what he done and although he defended well at times looked very average IMO - we can do better

I did ! I'm not sure why u thought this way? We finished 7th last season with basically the same squad,they know this league and we won all our pre season friendlys so not surprises one bit!
I was cautiously optimistic as well, had us for 2-0 in the PL. Absolutely gutted that I got called in to work, otherwise I'd have been there. What a great turn out for the first game of the season as well.

Thanks to finally succumbing to Covid, I had to listen today on the radio, but what a magnificent result and performance from players, management, staff and fans all pulling together in the circumstances.
My son and grandson were there, and tell me that the bond between the team and fans was something special.
To those boycotting, sorry, but that's just not the way to support your team. Just wish I could have been there today but a nice morale boost indeed

just back after a cheeky trip to KFC to celebrate- wow just wow. Never saw that coming at all. Even before the sending off thought we were in control.
Couple of shaky moments from Kensdale but not as bad as their defence- they could’ve scored 3 own goals easy.
My MOTM was Ralph - god knows what he’s on / taking but it must be good stuff!
Great goal from Mooney and chuffed for young Coker, and Cards who looked sharp.

Not sure how that could have gone much better and our starting eleven is still decent although with very little behind it albeit a couple of the subs did well today.

Not sure I have Ralph play that well before and he would have been my MOM although you could certainly make a case for several others although not Colin as he was largely unemployed this afternoon.

Some comments from the Oldham fans forum:

We started badly and finished abysmally. The bit in the middle wasn't great. Total lack of professionalism in that last ten minutes. Poor attitude. Compare with Southend. Got stuck in from start to finish. We got what we deserved.

Totally humiliated by a team and club fighting for a future.

Absolutely nothing against Southend who deserved the win and score, but that should never have been allowed to happen.

Results aside and purely performance there hasn’t been any dominant all round performances like Southend have just produced against us, where we have tons of shots and opponents next to none

Dear Frank, please can we sign every Southend player and their manager and get rid of the majority of ours.

Some of theirs are out of contract and others cheap buys. I'd said earlier in the summer Husin and Bridge looked decent at BP last year

Shrimpers Trust

ntpSodrsoeum23m9l5f1hgmli5m9m74c55t69f07850t8cc69hffi1a2gfm9 ·

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo
This Club
🤩

These Players
🤩

3 Amigos
🤩

Our loyal staff
🤩

These fans
🤩

Imagine what could happen if we had an owner who even cared just a little bit. Get out now!

#MartinOut

Ralph, stand out
Taylor, absolute beast.
Husin, machine.
Kensdale, Rolls Royce
Gus, made it look easy
Colin, ruler of Roots Hall boxes
Miley, poetry in motion
Mooney, that shot was rude
Coker, off the scale
Cardwell, battering ram
Powell, angry wasp
Fonguck, enforcer
Bridge, knot tier
Demi, evergreen
Maher, Benno and Currie , wizards
Fans, ecstatic
League table, don't lie
Oldham, frustrated

Ron, ..... who ??

Some comments from the Oldham fans forum:

We started badly and finished abysmally. The bit in the middle wasn't great. Total lack of professionalism in that last ten minutes. Poor attitude. Compare with Southend. Got stuck in from start to finish. We got what we deserved.

Totally humiliated by a team and club fighting for a future.

Absolutely nothing against Southend who deserved the win and score, but that should never have been allowed to happen.

Results aside and purely performance there hasn’t been any dominant all round performances like Southend have just produced against us, where we have tons of shots and opponents next to none

Dear Frank, please can we sign every Southend player and their manager and get rid of the majority of ours.

Some of theirs are out of contract and others cheap buys. I'd said earlier in the summer Husin and Bridge looked decent at BP last year
Can I grab the link ? Can’t seem to find it lol

Back