• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

That was quite simply one of the most complete performances I have seen from a Southend team for years.
Yes Oldham were poor, but we made them look far inferior by the way we played. Controlled possession... incisive passing all afternoon. We were on a different planet today and I was so pleased that in the end we got the goals to match the performance.
Nathan Ralph....take a bow sir. That was your best performance in a Southend shirt. He was incredible and didn't put a foot wrong during the entire match.
Harry Taylor and Ollie Kensdale were at it all afternoon. Confidently stepping out with the ball and starting our attacks.
Husin and Miley were sublime all afternoon and controlled the midfield, never giving the ball away. Some of the interplay between Wes, Bridge and Ralph in that first half was just too much for Oldham to cope with.
Just as Wes began to tire, to my surprise up stepped Ollie Coker. I had assumed (wrongly) that Jack Wood would the first change, but wow....what an impression Coker made after coming on. Shooting on sight for his brilliant goal, before a delightfully floated ball with his left foot for Cardwell to power home with his head for our much deserved 4th goal. His play in that final 15 minutes was eye catching. He looked confident, has clearly been working on building up his physique over the summer and displayed some fantastic touches as we played our way both around, and through Oldham.

Also I was so pleased to see Powell get our opener. He gets a lot of stick, but today he was everywhere and deserved his brilliantly taken goal with a instinctive finish.

Dan Mooney....what a goal....picking the ball up 20 yards inside his own half before moving forward with purpose and curling the ball around the Oldham keeper's outstretched right hand. That's what he has in his locker and we need him to empty it more often.

Final word has to go to Kev.....we are so lucky to have him as our manager. He must have had a lump in his throat at full time. He, along with all our supporters will be rightly proud of our team tonight. That performance and atmosphere will live long in the memory.

The Mooney I saw today isn't a player that looks like he wants to leave. He looked like the player we signed and took his goal really well....
Could be another to add to the s**t rumour pile from "ITKs" in the summer.

Highly doubt if Mooney had "handed in his notice and was waiting for a tribunal" he'd be playing for us.... surely?

MAHER'S REACTION TO SUPERB OLDHAM WIN​

Kevin Maher spoke of the huge confidence boost today’s 4-0 win over highly-fancied Oldham Athletic will give his players.

Callum Powell, Oli Coker, Dan Mooney and Harry Cardwell were all on the scoresheet, earning Blues a quite magnificent win over the Latics.

The result made a mockery of many pre-season predictions, and on that, Maher said: “I don’t think anyone turning up today expected that. It’s thanks to the fans who came here last week that we had a game on. It’s testament to the players and how they go about their business.

“They’re quite calm in the dressing room to be fair and there’s a few tired bodies. We won’t get too ahead of ourselves but it was just an outpouring of relief from everyone at the football club.”

Blues came out of the blocks firing and could’ve gone ahead even earlier than they did. Our Head Coach was really pleased with the start, and also the way Blues added to their tally in the second half.

“I thought we started ever so well, having one or two off the line and having an appeal for a penalty. It was nice to get that first goal when we were on top.

“A few times last season we were ahead and didn’t put games to bed, like against Oldham last year. To get the extra goals we did was very pleasing. It was a bit emotional at the end because of everything we’ve been through.”

Coker’s first Blues goal was a superb strike from range, and Mooney matched it just moments later, the duo both having come off the bench.

On their finishes, Maher added: “We know Cokes has got great quality and hopefully he’ll have a good career with us and do well this year. It’s a hell of a finish from Moons – we know he’s got that in his locker. We need to keep getting him in the right areas and that’s up to me.

“We probably didn’t score enough goals last year so it’s great to have Cards off the mark as well. I thought he was exceptional leading the line – a goal was the least he deserved. We haven’t got too many strikers in the building so I’m delighted for Cards and Powelly.”

The result was even more special against one of the favourites for promotion. Maher concluded: “There’s no doubt that Oldham will be around it. As I’ve said before I think the strength of the football club is its fans and the staff who’ve stayed loyal to the football club.

“That one was for them and they can all go home and enjoy it. I’ll enjoy it tonight but the madness starts again on Monday!”

That's true. He must also have wondered what he was coming into. Not the start from his teammates that he would have anticipated. £8,000 per week according to the Oldham Fans Forum; sounds unlikely it's that high but Unsworth must have wondered if he has spent his money wisely....
He's unsworth it.

That's true. He must also have wondered what he was coming into. Not the start from his teammates that he would have anticipated. £8,000 per week according to the Oldham Fans Forum; sounds unlikely it's that high but Unsworth must have wondered if he has spent his money wisely....
Oldham could be us under Brown. Completely misjudging what is required in the NL.

That was quite simply one of the most complete performances I have seen from a Southend team for years.
Yes Oldham were poor, but we made them look far inferior by the way we played. Controlled possession... incisive passing all afternoon. We were on a different planet today and I was so pleased that in the end we got the goals to match the performance.
Nathan Ralph....take a bow sir. That was your best performance in a Southend shirt. He was incredible and didn't put a foot wrong during the entire match.
Harry Taylor and Ollie Kensdale were at it all afternoon. Confidently stepping out with the ball and starting our attacks.
Husin and Miley were sublime all afternoon and controlled the midfield, never giving the ball away. Some of the interplay between Wes, Bridge and Ralph in that first half was just too much for Oldham to cope with.
Just as Wes began to tire, to my surprise up stepped Ollie Coker. I had assumed (wrongly) that Jack Wood would the first change, but wow....what an impression Coker made after coming on. Shooting on sight for his brilliant goal, before a delightfully floated ball with his left foot for Cardwell to power home with his head for our much deserved 4th goal. His play in that final 15 minutes was eye catching. He looked confident, has clearly been working on building up his physique over the summer and displayed some fantastic touches as we played our way both around, and through Oldham.

Also I was so pleased to see Powell get our opener. He gets a lot of stick, but today he was everywhere and deserved his brilliantly taken goal with a instinctive finish.

Dan Mooney....what a goal....picking the ball up 20 yards inside his own half before moving forward with purpose and curling the ball around the Oldham keeper's outstretched right hand. That's what he has in his locker and we need him to empty it more often.

Final word has to go to Kev.....we are so lucky to have him as our manager. He must have had a lump in his throat at full time. He, along with all our supporters will be rightly proud of our team tonight. That performance and atmosphere will live long in the memory.

From which Jack Bridge could learn a thing or two.

I wasn't expecting to talk much football today. Thought we'd get smashed and limp along some more.
However this group of players just took my breath away today.

Colin 7....one dodgy kick aside solid in everything asked to do.
GSM 7...looked tired towards the end but put in such a shift and was so up for it today.
Bridge 7....usual dynamism in spells.
Ralph MOM 9.....just wow from him today....wow.
Kensdale 8....sometimes he's so good you just wonder how the hell he's still here, so composed.
Taylor 8....excellent all round, just a couple of moments where you just saw that he isn't a CB naturally, however some brilliant tackles and good on the ball.
Miley 8....straddled the middle of the park like a titan. Imperiously silky.
Noor 7.5 I love him. .5 reduction for that shot lol.
Fonguck 6.5 composed at times faded quickly.
Cardwell 8...led the line well worked his socks well and deserved his goal.
Powell 7....lovely finish to open the scoring, stretched Oldham nicely.

Coker 8.....wow. fantastic goal, composure coming out of the wazoo
Mooney 7 for all the down tools talk etc, what a goal

Spoke to Oldham fan on train on way to game - he reckoned £4k a week was the rumour - which is crazy money - £8k would be ridiculous

Back