• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

#TheClubthatrefusestodie - What an amazing way to start a season some of us weren't sure we would see. That game, as others have said, will rank right up there in our memories.

I said on Twitter that this was the difference between a team which knows each other and their strengths and weaknesses well and one that seemed to be a group of strangers. Felt sorry for Hobbo, who looked quite shell shocked at the end. I am sure that it will come good for Oldham after a few matches though.

Defensively I thought that was as strong as I've seen us for some time. Collin looked confident in every aspect of his game and we were still convinced that was an excellent save in the 2nd half although it was given as a goal kick. Harry Taylor impressed me when I saw the Canvey game, and I am pleased that he seems to have settled into that back three so well, him, Kensdale and Ralph were solid as a rock. Kensdale needs to get his passion under control, we don't need him picking up silly cards for getting in the ref's face. The red had already been issued, there was no need for him to get involved.

Some seem to be surprised at how good Nathan Ralph was - I wasn't. This is the Ralph we have seen at the start of several seasons before being subjected to the kind of injuries that have left him sidelined for much of them. I thought the red card incident was going to be another of those but, fortunately, he seems to be ok.

The two wing backs were our quietest outfield players - which was surprising, Bridge worked hard in the 1st half and played some delightful triangles with Wes and Husin, but was marked better in the 2nd half. Gus seemed a little late tracking back at times as the game went on.

In the midfield, it was good to see Wes Fonguck having such a great hour or so, he does seem to tire quickly though. Having said that, I thought Husin looked tired as the 2nd half went on and was surprised he lasted the full 106 minutes! Cav grew into the game, having been over shadowed by the other two earlier on and put in some delightfully timed interceptions.

Up top, well, Callum got a very well deserved first goal of the season to get himself and the Club off the mark, he was just like an annoying wasp, constantly in Oldham's faces and they couldn't cope with him. Cardwell worked hard throughout and also got a deserved goal at the end.

Couldn't have asked for more from the subs - Coker, what a young star this lad can be, scored an excellent one and made Cardwell's as well. Looked interested and up for it from the moment he came on. And I was delighted for Dan Mooney too, I hope he just needs to fall back in love with Southend United Football Club and that yesterday will have helped. As others have said, he didn't look like a player who wanted to leave, so let's hope!

Collin - 8
Gus - 8
Taylor - 9 (joint MOTM)
Kensdale - 8
Ralph - 9 (joint MOTM)
Bridge - 8
Miley - 8
Husin - 8
Fonguck - 8
Powell - 8
Cardwell - 8

Subs:
Coker - 8
Mooney - 8
Demi - n/a

And yet the “Frank Walton” clock glides gracefully on never missing a beat…analogue 1 digital 0
It's not worked for years! Permanently at 2.30 now!

Just amazing….players…staff and fans as one, a truly special football club.

My youngest son was the mascot today, what a game to be a mascot!

Felt like a monumental match that could go down in our history potentially and hopefully when the tide starts to turn for good.

Just happy tonight, no need to do ratings, everyone was awesome. Legendary management team

Love the new national league rules…time wasting will be a thing of the past, great news.
Can your son be a mascot every match?

May be an image of 8 people, people playing American football, people playing football and text

The mighty warriors.

Absolutely, outstanding in all departments. Can’t remember the last time I saw us play like that. Lots of emotional people too. What ever Kev has been feeding them make sure we keep doing it. We are top of the league ha ha 👏

Some great write ups and analysis on here so not much more for me to add. A couple of things I thought worth mentioning.

That Oldham team were decent. Sure they have some average players but make no mistake they have some very good ones for this level. I watched Hobson closely and he was far and away their best player yesterday. Hardly missed a tackle, 2 clearances off the line, walked away from the scrap after the red and will be hugely missed by us.

Norwood as well. Sure he didn’t cause us any trouble but that’s because we marshalled him really well. Could see he will be a real danger in and around the box so Taylor and Kensdale both did exceptionally well to control him.

Think others have mentioned it but we have a brilliant starting 11. The main issue we will have over the course of the season with a small squad is fatigue. I’d love to think it possible but these boys will fade quick unless we can get more players through the doors and soon.

Final point. Kevin Maher, absolute legend.

Ralph is one of the best defenders in this league when fully fit ! I said it before when someone on here was saying we had to get rid … I suspect that tunes changed after yesterday

Wasn’t at the game today - but this sounds so promising. We know Colin is a “shot stopper” but sounds like other parts of his game are moving forward (someone else mentioned his kicking was composed). He could be a huge asset for us. Where did we find him?
Steve Tilson recommended him. I think Collin was playing got him at college?

That is a very, very good point.

Forget their outstanding loyalty, forget your opinion of them as football players or management, as people they are fantastic. A genuine team of likeable people.

They are great ambassadors for this great Club of ours and long may that continue.

We’ve had enough arseholes play for this Club, enough people stealing a living, enough people who couldn’t give a toss about Southend. That is an accusation you can throw at any of them.
Hi BW2, hope you're well buddy, especially after yesterday! But don't you mean "can't" in your last sentence?

To every one of the squad and management: you are the embodiment of what a Shrimper dreams about when they look for qualities in people who wear the Clubs crest on their chest. A truly special group and you will all live long in the memory and be rightly celebrated.
Thankyou for your loyalty, hard work and talent.
Thankyou for, frankly, the best performance I've seen a Southend side put in for just shy of twenty years.
An outrageous show of unity in the face of unacceptable conditions.

...I wonder if Kev left the messages from the supporters on the whiteboard and that's what drove the lads on ? Whatever he and the team did, they deserve massive congratulations.

We must never forget the power of mentality, team spirit, togetherness, and belief.

Negative circumstances have a tendency to create an unbreakable bond in a particular group of people, and that group is us, the management team and the players all in one.

Football is an intriguing and unpredictable game.

Not everything is done on paper, in transfers, in money spent.

SUFC

...I wonder if Kev left the messages from the supporters on the whiteboard and that's what drove the lads on ? Whatever he and the team did, they deserve massive congratulations.
I wondered if Ninia Benjamin did the pre-match talk as was discussed at the comedy evening on Thursday! 😂

I didn't mention the amigos in my summary - superb strategy!

Back