• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

Just amazing….players…staff and fans as one, a truly special football club.

My youngest son was the mascot today, what a game to be a mascot!

Felt like a monumental match that could go down in our history potentially and hopefully when the tide starts to turn for good.

Just happy tonight, no need to do ratings, everyone was awesome. Legendary management team

Love the new national league rules…time wasting will be a thing of the past, great news.

Just amazing….players…staff and fans as one, a truly special football club.

My youngest son was the mascot today, what a game to be a mascot!

Felt like a monumental match that could go down in our history potentially and hopefully when the tide starts to turn for good.

Just happy tonight, no need to do ratings, everyone was awesome. Legendary management team

Love the new national league rules…time wasting will be a thing of the past, great news.
Ron won't like the news rules .... may have to put the floodlights on before the game ends in August.

Although I will need to put more in the meter for parking…and the game against Borehamwood will last for 5 hours….

Having come down a bit from the earlier emotion, I am always a devil in the detail kind of guy and my one disappointment today, was the yellow card Kensdale took.

With the squad being as small as it is, for as long as we are at that number we cannot afford suspensions. So keeping he yellow card count down is a vital part of this period and getting a needless yellow like he did was the ONLY down side to today's game, especially as the ref had it in hand, a rarity at this level granted.

Defenders are obviously likely to get a card or two, so we don't need ones for the handbags at four paces, anyone chucking the ball away and not retreating from a free kick will be cardinal sin.

Just hope Kens has that pointed out to him, but not in a manner that takes any of hte edge off today.

downer over, my glass is empty so I am off to the fridge,

What a fantastic day still and the Non League paper to look forward to. I bet it's out late this week lol.

UTB

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

In my 54 years of supporting, this is without question the very, very best opening day.

It will also go down as one of those "Games to Remember" and we were saying afterwards, it is a long, long time since we've left the Hall feeling like that. I had quite forgotten how football can make you feel at the upper end of the emotional ladder.

Given all the preceding circumstances including almost an entire pre-season that has been condensed into about a fortnight, that in my opinion has to rank as one of the best EVER Southend performances.

As @Yorkshire Blue says, that was for the fans who cleaned up, the staff who stayed loyal, the players, everyone. If any prospective buyer/investor was watching, that is what you are going to get with this club. Incredible spirit, fantastic fan base. It was a huge 2 fingered salute at Ron Martin and showed what we could do despite him.

Everyone connected with the club needed that. Our troubles have been well documented in the media, even if not everyone has fully got to grips with the problem. But only on Monday evening did we get the news we could continue and in a bizarre way, that may have helped. There was no expectation; the team had nothing to lose., It was a free hit.

If Oldham had won by that margin we would have been disappointed, yes, but we would have been deriding Ron Martin, probably some of the players, saying things like "What did we expect?" and looking anxiously at the teams in the NLS.

This was so unexpected... but one swallow doesn't make a summer. A few years ago we beat Blackburn 2-1 and then got thumped 5-0 at Rotherham, so we are only as good as our next result.

However, there is huge cause for optimism, especially if at some point we can strengthen the squad, which would usually be an appropriate time to usually talk about the embargo but I'm not going to do that and as far as I'm concerned, the season has started, the team needs my support and they will get it 100%.

The Oldham fans were noisy and my initial thought was "I hope we can shut them up". I think it took about a minute. We started very much the brighter and had a chance to go one up before Kensdale was caught in possession, his blushes being spared by the first of three brilliant tackles by Nathan Ralph.

We could have already been two up (plus a strong penalty appeal) before Powell's 8th minute opener and we just kept turning the screw. Oldham looked disjointed, slow, uninterested and we were looking to make them pay. There were 3 clearances off the line and they were on the ropes. However, their new marquee signing James Norwood - huge at this level (in every sense of the word) - started to get involved and directed a decent header straight at Collin. They started to come into it, had forced a couple of corners and I think the general consensus was that we would do well to hang on to our lead until the break. We duly obliged and hoped the missed chances would not come back to bite us.

Not today they didn't, although I began to wonder when we weren't given an absolute nailed on penalty in the first couple of minutes of the second half for handball. The linesman was over the other side and wouldn't have had the best view; if he had been in front of the East Blacks, he would have surely awarded it.

Just shy of the hour mark in an otherwise fairly even opening to the second half, a very poor challenge on Ralph resulted in a straight red for Sutton and in truth, their captain Hogan - who had already been booked - should have been booked again as he ran 30 yards to get involved and confronted the ref. But he wasn't and IMHO that was one of the few poor decisions made by a generally otherwise decent ref.

Against 10 men we were starting to struggle a bit, they were coming in to the game and we started mucking around at the back with it, nearly causing our own downfall. We were starting to look leggy and Mooney replaced an obviously disappointed Powell to give us some fresh legs. Fonguck had become almost anonymous after a decent first half. and after 82 mins he made way for Oli Coker. The 10 men of Oldham were still in touching distance and at only 1-0, anything can happen.

Coker had other ideas and with 2 minutes of being on the pitch, he hit one from around 25 yards that nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Cue some Oldham fans to leave, but they would have missed a goal of the season contender from Dan "I'm not playing here again" Mooney. It ended in the same net position as Cokers, but was from about 5 yards further out.

3-0 and we are all delighted, but we weren't done. Cardwell took his turn at long range shooting, his effort being batted away by the keeper, but netted a 4th with a proper header and the story was complete.

Our strongest XI is decent but a few injuries will hammer us so it's imperative that we come out of the embargo asap.

RATINGS

Ndi - 7 - Very good handling, kicking ok, two or three dodgy decisions that we were nearly caught with
Scott-Morris - 8 - Very good, long throws caused a bit of a problem for them.
Kensdale - 7 - Got caught in possession once but otherwise a decent performance
Taylor - 9 - Excellent performance, almost faultless
Ralph - 9.5 - MOM - Kept us in it 3 times with great precise tackles. One of his best performances for us.
Bridge - 7 - Unusually quiet for him
Husin - 8 - Really drove the midfield
Miley - 9 - Excellent performance, broke up their play as well
Fonguck - 7 - Excellent first half but faded after the break
Powell - 8 - An opening goal, great workrate.
Cardwell - 9 - Everywhere and got a deserved goal at the end.

Subs -

Mooney - 8 - Before he scored his performance was very Mooney-esque, but what a goal!
Coker - 9 - Showed the others how to shoot with a cracker within 2 minutes of coming on and also set up the 4th.
Demitriou - 7 - On late, not much to do.

Ref - 7- Not bad. Got most decisions right but missed a couple of penalties and also bottled giving their skipper a second yellow.

SOUTHEND United head coach Kevin Maher believes Oli Coker’s fine substitute showing against Oldham Athletic is a sign of things to come.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
The picture of Dan Mooney alongside Oli Coker after the latter had just scored, and the scenes of his celebration after his goal do not seem to indicate a man who wants out... perhaps he had more licence to play his natural game today and that will make a difference to how he feels about staying... he is a talent, no doubt about that, and last season, in the matches I saw, he did not really fire on all cylinders. Let's hope that the thrill of playing in front of the Roots Hall fans (and on away trips with that fantastic backing) will persuade him that SUFC could still be good for him!!

Last edited:
Wow.

That was for the fans who got the ground ready, for the players who stuck by us, the fans working in the club (because if they continue to work without being paid they are most probably doing so for the love of the club), for King Kev and the legend that is Benno and all the rest of the coaching staff. Heroes the lot of you 😍

A couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t sure I’d still have a club. Even as recently as last week I wasn’t sure this game would go ahead. The players have been on strike, they haven’t had running water, they haven’t had a pre-season, wages have been late and yet they produce a result like that.

This was right up there with the most unlikely results in our club’s 117 year history. Up there with Julian Hails’ hattrick at Leicester, scoring at Swansea with 8 men, that time Drewe Broughton apparently actually scored a league goal (in the right net @Jonny_Stokes ), Charlie Kelman scoring from the halfway line on his debut, that time we didn’t concede 3 under Kevin Bond. It might not have been beating Man U or Mildenhall’s save at Chelsea to get us a replay because with a bit of luck we could grab a 1-0 win or 1-1 draw against a team a division/two divisions above. To have half a pre-season, half a squad and to thrash the second favourites 4-0. Wow.

For the first half hour we were on top. The continuity from last season showed. The game was played in Oldham’s half and if a team deserved to be in front it was us. The goal came from a corner and the ball falling to Callum Powell who is at his best when he doesn’t have to think. Noor had earlier had a similar chance blocked by a desperate defender. At the other end the imperious Ralph, having his best game for the club, blocked a rare Oldham attack initiated by Kensdale dwelling on the ball. Cardwell then had a powerful effort saved and we seemed more likely to add a second than be pegged back level.

As the half came to a close energy levels dropped and the lack of pre-season showed. It suggested the second half might be a case of holding on and 6 minutes of injury time seemed excessive but something does need to be done about it (I imagine Borehamwood must still be playing their first half now).

The game however turned early second half on an absolutely horror tackle on Ralph. Late, reckless, dangerous on his planted leg: the sort that ends careers. Even a National League ref could get that one right. Something of a melee ensued and Kensdale was booked. Ralph was still down at this stage and the prospect of having only one available centre-half if Kensdale was sent off flashed across my mind but the ref wasn’t looking for excuses to even the numbers. With the extra man it evened up the fitness advantage Oldham had from having a proper pre-season. Even so legs began to tire and Oldham started to get more into things with their sub Fondop prominent. Mooney, who hadn’t featured in preseason surprisingly came on for Powell (who has yet to complete 90 minutes since September) but the killer sub was Oli Coker, long overlooked by fans in favour of Jon Benton. He replaced the excellent Fonguck who was blowing and Oli revelled in the extra space as Oldham tried to go more attacking for an equaliser. Coker found himself 25 yards out and took a touch and buried it past the keeper for a memorable first goal for the club .

Oldham’s heads then went. Mooney picked the ball up in oceans of space on the half way line and run through before curling into the same spot Coker had just done, from a similar range. At that point we could relax. The players didn’t and another Oli Coker run into space saw him picked out and cross in for Cardwell in the ten minutes(!) of injury time to nod in the goal his efforts deserved (for example his selfless sprint opened up the space for Mooney’s goal). Wow.

A brilliant day that I thought may never happen. We could hardly have written the script better: yet another clean sheet for Collin, a goal for each of our forwards, a confidence booster for Dan Mooney, a breakout game for the 16th man in the squad.
The Cardwell movement for Mooneys goal was superb.
One of the highlights of the day

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

In my 54 years of supporting, this is without question the very, very best opening day.

It will also go down as one of those "Games to Remember" and we were saying afterwards, it is a long, long time since we've left the Hall feeling like that. I had quite forgotten how football can make you feel at the upper end of the emotional ladder.

Given all the preceding circumstances including almost an entire pre-season that has been condensed into about a fortnight, that in my opinion has to rank as one of the best EVER Southend performances.

As @Yorkshire Blue says, that was for the fans who cleaned up, the staff who stayed loyal, the players, everyone. If any prospective buyer/investor was watching, that is what you are going to get with this club. Incredible spirit, fantastic fan base. It was a huge 2 fingered salute at Ron Martin and showed what we could do despite him.

Everyone connected with the club needed that. Our troubles have been well documented in the media, even if not everyone has fully got to grips with the problem. But only on Monday evening did we get the news we could continue and in a bizarre way, that may have helped. There was no expectation; the team had nothing to lose., It was a free hit.

If Oldham had won by that margin we would have been disappointed, yes, but we would have been deriding Ron Martin, probably some of the players, saying things like "What did we expect?" and looking anxiously at the teams in the NLS.

This was so unexpected... but one swallow doesn't make a summer. A few years ago we beat Blackburn 2-1 and then got thumped 5-0 at Rotherham, so we are only as good as our next result.

However, there is huge cause for optimism, especially if at some point we can strengthen the squad, which would usually be an appropriate time to usually talk about the embargo but I'm not going to do that and as far as I'm concerned, the season has started, the team needs my support and they will get it 100%.

The Oldham fans were noisy and my initial thought was "I hope we can shut them up". I think it took about a minute. We started very much the brighter and had a chance to go one up before Kensdale was caught in possession, his blushes being spared by the first of three brilliant tackles by Nathan Ralph.

We could have already been two up (plus a strong penalty appeal) before Powell's 8th minute opener and we just kept turning the screw. Oldham looked disjointed, slow, uninterested and we were looking to make them pay. There were 3 clearances off the line and they were on the ropes. However, their new marquee signing James Norwood - huge at this level (in every sense of the word) - started to get involved and directed a decent header straight at Collin. They started to come into it, had forced a couple of corners and I think the general consensus was that we would do well to hang on to our lead until the break. We duly obliged and hoped the missed chances would not come back to bite us.

Not today they didn't, although I began to wonder when we weren't given an absolute nailed on penalty in the first couple of minutes of the second half for handball. The linesman was over the other side and wouldn't have had the best view; if he had been in front of the East Blacks, he would have surely awarded it.

Just shy of the hour mark in an otherwise fairly even opening to the second half, a very poor challenge on Ralph resulted in a straight red for Sutton and in truth, their captain Hogan - who had already been booked - should have been booked again as he ran 30 yards to get involved and confronted the ref. But he wasn't and IMHO that was one of the few poor decisions made by a generally otherwise decent ref.

Against 10 men we were starting to struggle a bit, they were coming in to the game and we started mucking around at the back with it, nearly causing our own downfall. We were starting to look leggy and Mooney replaced an obviously disappointed Powell to give us some fresh legs. Fonguck had become almost anonymous after a decent first half. and after 82 mins he made way for Oli Coker. The 10 men of Oldham were still in touching distance and at only 1-0, anything can happen.

Coker had other ideas and with 2 minutes of being on the pitch, he hit one from around 25 yards that nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Cue some Oldham fans to leave, but they would have missed a goal of the season contender from Dan "I'm not playing here again" Mooney. It ended in the same net position as Cokers, but was from about 5 yards further out.

3-0 and we are all delighted, but we weren't done. Cardwell took his turn at long range shooting, his effort being batted away by the keeper, but netted a 4th with a proper header and the story was complete.

Our strongest XI is decent but a few injuries will hammer us so it's imperative that we come out of the embargo asap.

RATINGS

Ndi - 7 - Very good handling, kicking ok, two or three dodgy decisions that we were nearly caught with
Scott-Morris - 8 - Very good, long throws caused a bit of a problem for them.
Kensdale - 7 - Got caught in possession once but otherwise a decent performance
Taylor - 9 - Excellent performance, almost faultless
Ralph - 9.5 - MOM - Kept us in it 3 times with great precise tackles. One of his best performances for us.
Bridge - 7 - Unusually quiet for him
Husin - 8 - Really drove the midfield
Miley - 9 - Excellent performance, broke up their play as well
Fonguck - 7 - Excellent first half but faded after the break
Powell - 8 - An opening goal, great workrate.
Cardwell - 9 - Everywhere and got a deserved goal at the end.

Subs -

Mooney - 8 - Before he scored his performance was very Mooney-esque, but what a goal!
Coker - 9 - Showed the others how to shoot with a cracker within 2 minutes of coming on and also set up the 4th.
Demitriou - 7 - On late, not much to do.

Ref - 7- Not bad. Got most decisions right but missed a couple of penalties and also bottled giving their skipper a second yellow.
Agree that we were starting to struggle against the 10 men. Have to say fantastic subs (with what we had) at that time from Kev.

Can’t add too much to fbm’s report, superb summary.
Ralph was class, Scott-Morris was really fired up. Powell and Cardwell proved to be total pests up top, even the pitch was in good nick. We bosses the first half. At the break we all predicted that we would tire (no pre-season) and would take a draw. The feeder Ed red card

Well done the Shrimpers, you gave us a lesson in desire, organisation and passion for your club whereas our shambles of a team did what they usually do under our clown of a Manager Unsworth and played as if they couldn’t be bothered…we were stupid enough to think things would change from last season with a few signings but alas it is worse than ever 😞

I did mention on another thread that we had a powder puff midfield and no right back and you took full advantage.

Just one word of caution, I see a few saying you’ll be up there because you just thrashed promotion hopefuls…honestly, you just thrashed a lower mid table team so you should judge your progress after you’ve played a decent team 🤣

Anyway, thanks for the footballing lesson and, seriously, best of luck in getting proper ownership
Thanks for your kind words although the result and performance today was very much in our favour I wouldn’t get too despondent yet. It’s a long season and you’ve had multiple player changes whereas our actual starting 11 is actually pretty much as last season with the added knowledge of playing together hence the cohesion in our play as opposed to yours. I wish Oldham well and if you finish second to us and we both get promoted that would be a great outcome 🤣🤣

….sorry tired (and emotional) eyes playing up there. Should have red the deserved red card obviously helped as fatigue set in. Fonguck was noticeably grimacing all second half (groin issue). A special word for young Coker, aggressive when he needed to be, also composed, with a hint of guile. One great goal (you could see Husin urge him to shoot after he teed him up) and an assist. We will see a lot more of him. Time for another glass of red

Thanks for your kind words although the result and performance today was very much in our favour I wouldn’t get too despondent yet. It’s a long season and you’ve had multiple player changes whereas our actual starting 11 is actually pretty much as last season with the added knowledge of playing together hence the cohesion in our play as opposed to yours. I wish Oldham well and if you finish second to us and we both get promoted that would be a great outcome 🤣🤣
It’s not how you start it’s how you finish 😊
This is one of the toughest leagues to get out of, this is our 2nd season, patience is key regardless of some big signings
But you are right cohesion is the key word 😉

I'll predicate this by saying this ranks up there with beating Man U in terms of a team performance and man management. A squeaky bum 1-0 win would have been quite amazing but this result was outstanding.

The cynic in me however says a big win like this may take some of the pressure off of Ron, and papers over the much larger cracks, also gives gravitas to him saying we only need 16 in the squad, playing in a stadium that the fans fixed up for free. I heard from a friend in the West that the RM out chants didn't kick in until late in the 2nd half?

The only surprise for me was that we attacked and went for the game. Must say thought Maher would setup for a 0-0. Perhaps lessons learnt?

Not too surprised at the outcome. All of the team were first teamers from last year. They know each other, tight knit team culture. It's already been commented on with the small squad value and previous promotion seasons.

I like Taylor and Ralph in that back 3 because they spread and become fullbacks to allow bridge and Gus attack as wingers. Having central defenders playing those roles might not suit as much. Lomas for example would be a direct replacement for kensdale (that said small squads will require to play anywhere).

I like Mooney in what I will always refer to as the Benji role. I'd love to see whether he could play instead of Gus. Attacking wingers on both sides could really open up the game but we would lose some defensive support and capability in our mid and deep defense transition ( bridge is not a wing back). The issue is his defensive game. Remember tilson always playing a more defensive winger in a 442 as an opposite to an attacking winger which enabled us to balance defence without the ball.

I also think Mooney is a better option than Powell in the box midfield alongside fonguck. Powell always an odd one - never a striker - perhaps another option to bridge ? We bought both Mooney and Powell to play wide forward in a 343 but seeing as we changed to a more fluid 352 they are probably both more valuable in the 2 up front.

I like husin and Miley protecting the defence and moving the ball forward. Miley perhaps operating as another central defender at times that's stepped forward. Good to see all 3 of our midfield play - husin, Miley and fonguck. 343 never allowed us to do that.

Love cardwell. Only going to get better with games.

I think this is a strong nucleus and good setup. I'd love to see us more attacking in games even though we've just scored 4. Looks like we've also learned to take shots. Mooney and coker prime examples.

Well done blues. Dagenham up next week. Tough game.

Back