• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Eastleigh

Same starting 11 as v Oldham. But completely different performance. So was it Eastleigh that allowed us to play like that? We seemed to have so much more space to play in.

Interesting to see any views of the stattos that can show what the difference was.

Same starting 11 as v Oldham. But completely different performance. So was it Eastleigh that allowed us to play like that? We seemed to have so much more space to play in.

Interesting to see any views of the stattos that can show what the difference was.

The difference is at Oldham they were almost a new team starting for the first time together. Pleased to see they have learnt fast

Goodness, seem to have watched a different game to some of you - I thought Morton was the weak link in the team and totally overshadowed by Moncur and Husin in the middle. Couple of really poor judgement calls too and caught in possession a few times.

First opportunity to see the three new boys and impressed by all 3, Forson is just Terrell Egbri on speed isn't he? :Hilarious:

Collin is missing Dave Martin's guidance, his kicking was poor at times - yes, you might blame the monsoon that swept the pitch perhaps, but it's not the first time this season this has been a criticism. More work needed there, please. Save wise though, first class.

Defensively as happy as I've seen them this season - no-one berating anyone else (no need) and all of them playing with confidence. Gubbins put in about 4 absolutely cracking crosses that I certainly didn't know he had in his locker - and all of them came forwards confidently with the ball. Nathan Ralph deservedly MOTM, he did a "Gus", was absolutely everywhere in the box at each end and put in a couple of really textbook tackles too.

Bridgey's best performance of the season too - freedom to roam and some great interplay with Moncur. Confident penalty as always. Moncur is an absolute Rolls Royce of a player, smooth and accomplished and Husin improved throughout the match.

Was more than happy with Pepple's contribution, though I did think he had a goal on a plate. Still early days for him though.

The subs all made good impressions, delighted to see Bonne involved so soon.

Collin - 8
Gus - 8
Taylor - 8.5
Crowther - 8
Gubbins - 8
Ralph - 9
Moncur - 8.5
Husin - 8
Morton - 7
Bridge - 8
Pepple - 8

Decent officials on the whole, though the West Stand lino seemed to be blind to an obvious foul on Bridgey in the 2nd half.
Best ref for a long time that aided a very good match👍

Final player to highlight is Moncur. Wow.

Reminds me of when we signed Marsh. Just clearly a level above everyone else and he’s making those around him better. What I liked tonight is his movement. Try to watch it next game, it’s unlike pretty much any NL player.

Before he gets it he’s already had a look around and on the half turn. He then gets it, plays it and this is the thing to watch, he immediately moves to a free space. It really is superb, he’s always on the move which opens up space for others. Most players at this level pass and don’t think to move.
You’ll notice as well he is always asking for the ball, regardless of position or where he is on the pitch. He’ll play a 5 yard pass then immediately ask for it back.

Just a joy to watch 😍

Best performance from us for a long long time. First time passes, rather than ponderous sideways passing.

Looking better without Kensdale who sometimes had the habit of slowing down the play?

Only criticisms I would have are that we only netted one goal and a slightly dubious penalty in an absolutely dominant display. Need to be more clinical! Also gave the ball away two or three times in very dangerous positions, which we were lucky didn’t cost us.

Other than that absolutely superb performance.

So who should we play?

Don't think we can play both........

I like the look of Morton and looks less likely (I know he got a Yellow tonight) to be sent off!

Seems to have a better range of passing and looks like he wants to have a pop at goal!
Well we have all known that Morton and Miley don't go together. However, early doors Kevin had little or no choice. Given last nights performance, Cav may have trouble getting his place back.

I've not seen anyone really mention it ... But

GUBBINS!

Ive been really impressed with him recently! Solid defensively especially after a shaky start, but the way he has been getting involved in the attack and providing an option on the overlap 👌🏻

I feel like he's going to become one of those unsung heroes
It is a carbon copy of his previous time with us. He started shaky then really grew into the role. His last two performances have really seen him excell. The pass he put through to Wood Vs Oldham was sublime, and last night, his crosses and cross field passes were top drawer.

We had the best defense in the league last season, but we looked even more solid last night. Taylor is just amazing and Crowther is really growing into the role too. We also looked more dangerous on set pieces last night too.

Morton was magnificent last night. He was constantly accused of being Mr Sideways previously, but he's been anything but that this season. I hope John Still has an inbox full of apologies this morning for having his expertise questioned.

Wonderful result and just the tonic we all needed after a really negative week last week. Another few signings and a win Saturday, it will be Cardwell who? Utb!

It is a carbon copy of his previous time with us. He started shaky then really grew into the role. His last two performances have really seen him excell. The pass he put through to Wood Vs Oldham was sublime, and last night, his crosses and cross field passes were top drawer.

We had the best defense in the league last season, but we looked even more solid last night. Taylor is just amazing and Crowther is really growing into the role too. We also looked more dangerous on set pieces last night too.

Morton was magnificent last night. He was constantly accused of being Mr Sideways previously, but he's been anything but that this season. I hope John Still has an inbox full of apologies this morning for having his expertise questioned.

Wonderful result and just the tonic we all needed after a really negative week last week. Another few signings and a win Saturday, it will be Cardwell who? Utb!

Our defence looks stronger without Kensdale's regular errors. Very impressed last night.

Forgot to say that I too though Pepple was a real handful for their defence, making himself very busy which opens up room for the others to thrive.
He looks a little lost when pressing but when running with the ball or fighting with a player for the ball he looks the real deal. His link up play is good too.

In the second half, he was fouled when he broke free with the ball because there was no other way of stopping him. Then not long before he was subbed, he had a race with a defender towards the box and he just totally out muscled the defender but his shot was more of a back pass. Maybe shooting is something he can work on but he is strong as an Ox

Yep Pepple was great last night. He's clearly bought into the requirements of running your nuts off for the team.There's no loan passengers from now on. Kev won't stand for it. A few little things didn't go his way, but his head never dropped, and he just tried his hardest again. He's going to be the type of striker that will get on the end of a low cross. Gubbins has settled down now. He was nervy the first few games, and it affected him. Now he's showing what a good player he is.

So who should we play?

Don't think we can play both........

I like the look of Morton and looks less likely (I know he got a Yellow tonight) to be sent off!

Seems to have a better range of passing and looks like he wants to have a pop at goal!
For the time being it's Morton as Miley is out but it's a good question. Someone else already came up with a viable answer that I agree with and I think Miley may be used sparingly when he is back from injury too

Last edited:
Back