• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Eastleigh

You won’t see many better national league performances than tonight , total dominance , we looked a class above them and marshalled a dangerous CF with Crowther , Taylor and Ralph having him in their pockets all night

The middle 3 moved the ball quickly and with purpose , Moncur ran the show , slowed the game down when needed and then bursts to life , the positions he takes up are now being found by our boys as we get used to how he operates

Bridge had a strong first half and drifted out of the game a little in the second half , but it was a joy to watch tonight and we could of made a real statement by putting 4 past this mob without complaint
Apart from Colin’s poor pass in the first half I don’t recall us hardly giving the ball away

Well done to everyone , 10s across the board with Taylor and Moncur my stand outs

Really enjoyable performance. Took a friend along tonight as Hank sr is on holiday. He was genuinely shocked at the quality of football we were able to produce. Helped that we delivered our best performance of the season.

Moncur raises everyone’s game. Even the little things he does make a difference - specifically today when the midfield are operating in neat little passing triangles, he consistantly holds the ball that little bit longer to draw in the opposition before releasing it to his teammates. That bit of extra space continually gave his teammates the space to raise their own games.

Bonne was desperately unlucky not to score. Looks like a talent. And he’s got a lot of strength to him too.

Some excellent moments from Collin, not the spectacular saves but certainly a couple of important punches.

Gus - weird but I don’t want him to score for a while (so long as someone else does!). He’s in the box so often these days. I just don’t want someone coming in and stealing him. Fast becoming one of my favourite players ever.

Midfield looked as good as we’ve seen with Morton, Husin, Moncur and Bridge moving the ball about with pace and precision.

Pepple - need to see more but he seems quick and strong.

Ralph a worthy MOTM.

I didn’t realize that Eastleigh were so high in the table. Our dominance in the first half was something to behold. Second half was just more professional as we kept them under control. Could easily have been a bigger score line.

Not much else to say, but a really enjoyable game. Kev has got some very intelligent players who make things happen. Our passing created huge spaces and opened up Eastleigh over & over. Best game I have seen Morton play, Crowther did a job on McCallum, Bridge excellent from the spot.
Moncur & Bonne could be valuable - we need to bed them in over the next few weeks.

That was a great game tonight. So many good performances. My highlights were:

Morton - played a great game. Seems to be really settling into the team, bossed the midfield and great to see his confidence up with a couple of strikes from distance. Probably his best performance in a Southend shirt. Can see him cementing his position with Miley out for a few weeks.

Bridge - Left, right, middle. Some runs into the channels, tracking back, tackling. A really great athletic performance. Ran himself into the ground and his legs were jelly when he came off. Really impressive and is clearly enjoying playing a slightly different role.

Moncur - unplayable at times. Makes the game look easy and seems to create time on the ball that others can’t. Rolls Royce of a player at this level. I think there is more to come too.

Pepple- led the line well. Little wasteful at times, but he’s a young lad who hasn’t played much at this level and I can see him being coached into a quality player. Got a nice standing ovation when subbed by the east.

Great to see a full bench with quality ready to come on and make a difference. I never bought into the negative mood which seemed to be swirling, but watching tonight I really do feel we’re going places. Let’s get a run going now and keep playing with swagger. Great to see.

Two Tuesday night games two 2-0 wins as we continue to match last seasons’ results.

This though was probably our best performance of the season so far as we made an ordinary Eastleigh side look even more ordinary. The suspicion before the game was that Eastleigh were in a false position on the league through a soft fixture list to start but we put in a much more confident and fluent display after grinding out a point at Oldham.

My man of the match was the coaching staff as they have quickly built a new team after having their previous spine dissembled. This was a team effort. Moncur and Morton may have have had their best games in a Southend shirt (I think I said that Saturday as well about Morton - he continues to step up). Noor cut back a bit too often for my liking but was full of running. His versatility is invaluable to Maher as he can play any role in midfield.

Bridge had his best game outside of wingback and looked full of running (the luxury of knowing he had players on the bench who could relieve him?) - another assist for him and his first goal of the season. Collin, one pass aside, had a very good game: good hands in slippery conditions, and that calamity aside good distribution. Ralph had another very solid display capped by a goal. Gubbins put some terrific balls into the area that on another day may have led to two or three goals.

Up front Pepple had a thankless task that he stuck to well. Eastleigh really tired second half and he had a big hand in tiring them out. Bonne came on and could have had a hattrick so ragged were Eastleigh. His movement looks good so hopefully with a bit of match sharpness he can take those chances.

A playing performance Pountney would have been proud of. A spelling performance Poutney would detest.

Repeat after me

COLLIN

COLLIN

COLLIN

Following a first-half masterclass we became a little sloppy at the start of the second. That over with, we then got back into control mode, absorbed what they threw at us and could, ourselves, have added one or two more to the score. Happy that this place will be moan free...............at least until next Saturday!

That was as comfortable as we could hope for against a side at the top (very much doubt Eastleigh will finish top half though). Completely dominant and superior in all areas. If we’d won 5-1 it wouldn’t have flattered us. McCullum might be earning a good wage but he won’t achieve anything with that rabble.

I thought Pepple was excellent and did lots of great work up top. Gus was unplayable for the first thirty and then so many good performances throughout the whole team. Even the ref was good.

Sutton next. Come on boys

Bridge in the centre opens up against teams who clearly prepare for him on the left. Great to watch.

Moncur and Husin operate the midfield that we need to drive into the opponents.

Morton > Miley.

People looks decent, should have scored. Bonne looks like he can really get going once the confidence flows.

A very complete performance. Home corner over bets seem to be the golden ticket at the moment too.

Back