• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Eastleigh

A quick word on the Eastleigh support. I have nothing but admiration for the 49 that made the journey to watch their team, real supporters, but with your team 2nd in the table I would have expected a few more to travel. I also had a quick peak at the supporters board and there was/is precious little in the way of comments about the game (2 posts). It just goes to show the huge disparity between clubs in this division.

Well, that had me purring!

Thought we were superb.

First half especially impressive. We were on the front foot, moving the ball at pace through the lines, and pressing like mad men. Some of the football we played was just a joy to watch, and the build-up for the second goal was brilliant.

Eastleigh tried to come at us a bit more in the first 20 mins of the second half, but only really because we switched down a gear. Apart from McCallum's header and the long range pot shot, I don't think Collin had much to do, and we always looked in control.

Especially pleasing to see such a performance after the recent upheaval, and with new players still really bedding in. Shows how sound the recruitment is, both in terms of quality and character, and shows how Maher would like them playing more often. The team looks as together as ever to me, and I think that will prove to have been a really good win.

Interesting to read opinions on Cav vs. Morton. I said to my old man "they're the same, but different". Didn't know how else to describe it! When it's only one of them on the pitch, they play in the same spot and take up the same positions, but they're different with and without the ball. Out of possession, Miley anticipates well and gets a foot in, whereas Morton I think probably gets carried a little more defensively by his teammates. In possession, Cav plays more simple sideways and backwards passes (a modern Kev?), whereas Morton has a better and quicker passing range and can pick them better. A tough conundrum to have, but I agree that it might be difficult to have them both on the pitch at the same time, as they are both conductors. So maybe they can be used interchangeably to suit the opposition or whether we're playing at home or away.

Collin 7 - a couple of good saves and a strong swat away from a cross, but some wayward kicking and a silly mistake almost gifted a goal to Eastleigh first half.
Taylor 8 - absolute mustard. Anticipation and positioning was excellent, as was his timing of the tackle. Broke out from defence with ball well too.
Crowther 8 - marshalled McCallum, who is handful, really well and seemed to get his head or a foot to everything. A couple of wayward passes very nearly got us into trouble a few times, but I think he'll grow into that Kensdale role.
Gubbins 8 - strong, composed and benefitted from having Ralph close-by. Put in some excellent crosses, as a wide centre back in our system should occasionally.
Scott-Morriss 7 - typical Gussy performance, got up and down the line well. Put in a couple of decent crosses, almost scored again with a header, and just never stops running.
Ralph 9 (MOM) - didn't put a foot wrong. Always in the right place, defensively sound with some cracking tackles made second half, and did brilliantly to ghost in at the far post to score a rare goal.
Morton 7 - would have been 8 had the count stopped at half time. Absolutely bossed the midfield in the first 45, he was everywhere, and played some superb passes to get us moving forward. Lost that control a bit in the second half and got a bit sloppy, and rightly got berated for his decision-making with the long shot when he should have played in Bonne.
Moncur 8 - class act. Moves into pockets of space and looks to get on the half turn, always wants the ball, and times his offloads to perfection. Really important to the pace and movement of our game. He's getting better, his teammates are finding him more often, and he's improving everybody around him. Clearly enjoying his football.
Bridge 8 - first time he's put in a decent performance in the middle, imo. Floated around, always wanted the ball, caused them problems when he ran with it, and really benefitted from our quicker tempo. Excellent assist for Ralph, and typically assured penalty.
Pepple 7 - still getting there on match fitness, but ran his nuts off and led the line well. Caused some real problems with his strength and running, and will become more effective as he picks up our pressing patterns. Just need to get a finish in him.

Subs:

Bonne 7 - it's super early days and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but something feels right with him. In the short time he was on, you could see he's a proper striker, and you could see he's technically a cut above this level. His movement, positioning and awareness looks superb, and I've a feeling he'll bag a fair few if he can continue like that.
Appiah-Forson 6 - another one who is showing signs of being a very good player for us. Great option to have on the bench, but no reason why he can't push for a starting place. Offers something completely different to our other options in the middle.
Wood 6 - made a nuisance of himself in the short time he had on the pitch.

Last edited:
Same starting 11 as v Oldham. But completely different performance. So was it Eastleigh that allowed us to play like that? We seemed to have so much more space to play in.

Interesting to see any views of the stattos that can show what the difference was.
Sometimes it can be as simple as the difference between a home performance and an away performance. If we can play and get results like last night in the majority of home games, and pick up hard-fought points away at tough places like Oldham, then we'll be in the mix and we'll all be happy (I'd like to think).

A quick word on the Eastleigh support. I have nothing but admiration for the 49 that made the journey to watch their team, real supporters, but with your team 2nd in the table I would have expected a few more to travel. I also had a quick peak at the supporters board and there was/is precious little in the way of comments about the game (2 posts). It just goes to show the huge disparity between clubs in this division.
A thoroughly nasty night, England on the telly, work tomorrow (today), the match on NLTV, and a cost of living crisis. Well done to the Eastleigh fans who made the journey.
Have been there and its a decent club with an impressive stadium.

Looking at the next seven games and with Fylde as our game in hand.
I forecast we will be fourth in the league by mid November.
So pleased to see that all new signings have been the right choice.
Looking forward to every game.

Just a few comments after a really enjoyable game.
When a player gets a run in the team for whatever reason, invariably they're game raises. But Morton's taken the opportunity big time and looks better than I thought he could be. Much more forward thinking and more mobile than cav, though I think probably totally different styles that don't fit together.
Pepple reminds me of a National league version of Lukaku. Strong, direct, pacey, and I think will get lots better still.
at last some league experienced heads in the team which we've lacked of late. I noticed Moncur not only playing well but quite verbal on the pitch.
Too soon for me to have any thoughts on Bonne, but looks strong and must be keen to play football at the moment. Hopefully his obvious experience helps and he settles in as a team player with no diva aspirations.
Apart from a couple of very loose passes, we looked so solid at the back.
I believe crowther was at one time questioning his own decision to be at southend, but similarly to morton, circumstances have opened an opportunity and he's stamped his authority on the position. He provides a better goal threat than kensdale did and certainly showed he can cope with big forwards with reputations last night.
I'm beginning to wonder if unfortunate recent circumstances have offered us up an opportunity that wasn't really expected. We have walker and waldren to come back and Coker and miley, all who may provide a very strong bench. We have a decent cover in most positions. We have something different in KAF when it suits. We have fan numbers league 2 teams would love to have.
I doubt any team in this league now wants to face us or expects to beat us. Especially at home.
Lastly, I was a little surprised how well all the new players fitted into our way of playing and tactics. To be so cohesive and play such flowing football, you'd think they've had a while season together!

Last edited:
Best team performance I've seen in a long, long time. Apart from a loss of focus by Collin in the 1st half From which Eastleigh really should have made more of Eastleigh offered nothing, Their keeper also made a couple of top draw saves to help keep the score down, but this was such a huge improvement from our earlier home games it really made me feel like we can have a really good go at it this season, it's just a question of if we can keep that level going. No teams going to be looking forward to coming here on seeing that performance. Overall really pleased with the new additions. Things can only get better as the song goes. Well done you Blues.

Sometimes it can be as simple as the difference between a home performance and an away performance. If we can play and get results like last night in the majority of home games, and pick up hard-fought points away at tough places like Oldham, then we'll be in the mix and we'll all be happy (I'd like to think).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Oldham was a bad performance, it was good point gained away from home. Just a very different style of play. First half at Oldham the 2 teams seemed to cancel each other out. Just wondered if it was something Eastleigh did (formation/tactics) that allowed us to play that way

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Oldham was a bad performance, it was good point gained away from home. Just a very different style of play. First half at Oldham the 2 teams seemed to cancel each other out. Just wondered if it was something Eastleigh did (formation/tactics) that allowed us to play that way
They seemed a bit open to me, whereas Oldham were a bit more compact and well-organised.

That's where I hope people are patient. We won't always play like we did yesterday, and won't be because Kev and the players don't want to. Nobody has a right to play how they want to plat, and we will come up against teams who nullify our style and threat better than others. It's those games where we'll go sideways and backwards a little more to keep possession, and will have to be more probing and patient in our build up play.

First game of the season for me, bought a senior partner (MU Fan) and the IT Director (a Spammer) from work with me, we had a great evening, was a good game and I thought we were excellent especially in the 1st half when we moved the ball quickly and had Eastleigh really stretched at times, not sure if that was an off night for Eastleigh they certainly didn't look like a top of the table team or maybe they haven't had many tricky fixtures yet.

Collin - 8 although with the ball at his feet I'm sure he will cause my 2nd heart attack!
Ralph - 8 good finish for the goal and very solid at the back, best I've seen him at LWB
GSM - 8 usual stuff from the best all round player in the league
Gubbins - 8.5 very solid at the back and a few great balls into the box
Crowther - 8 had McWho in his pocket all night
Taylor - 8 Standard
Morton - 8.5 probably his best performance in a blue shirt
Husin - 8 linked play nicely, always seems available to take the ball
Bridge - 8.5 seemed to relish his free role, handbrake off and a top performance, usual calm self with the Jay Leno
Moncur - 8.5 makes this team tick, great signing by King Kev and co, looks like the player we have desperately needed in the middle of the park
Pepple - 7.5 worked the channels well and a big physical presence, could be a real rough diamond that gets polished with some football under his belt and some good coaching

KAW - 7.5 looks like another who could be a great find, nice to see someone in the middle happy to run with the ball, looks like he can pick a pass too
Bonne - 7.5 great movement, if he can get his confidence up he could score a lot of goals for us
Wood - 7 few nice touches

Same starting 11 as v Oldham. But completely different performance. So was it Eastleigh that allowed us to play like that? We seemed to have so much more space to play in.

Interesting to see any views of the stattos that can show what the difference was.

They had two completely different performances at Oldham as well. I know we led at ht there but we created nothing. We looked so much better there second half. Don’t know how much that was Oldham’s changing shape at the break.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Gubbins has been playing well, Ralph LWB is better for him as he can be a bit more attack minded and is much more confident than when he has Bridge there who is great going forward but leaves the LCB exposed for the entire game
Gubbins has only played with Ralph outside him though this season?

Moving towards a Bridge free team at this rate 😬😬😬
When Bonne and other strikers return bridge may be frozen out.
Gubbins looks settled now.
Ralph at LWB is bearing fruit, particularly given the defensive upgrade over Bridge.
I love Bridgey but looks to be heading for the bench.
Inconceivable to ponder this a short while ago.
He did set up a goal and score a goal. I think he’s proved he can play in a few positions, to give us good options, rather than bench him.

There must be something about playing under floodlights on wet Tuesday night that brings out the best. A thoroughly enjoyable performance, entertainng and skilful football without a weak link to be seen. Maybe the way Eastleigh played suited us and there will be different kinds of tests ahead, but for now it's an encouraging picture. The ownly downside was the trainee camera operator who needs a crash course pronto.

Back