• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Eastleigh

So who should we play?

Don't think we can play both........

I like the look of Morton and looks less likely (I know he got a Yellow tonight) to be sent off!

Seems to have a better range of passing and looks like he wants to have a pop at goal!
Morton against lesser teams and at home when we want to attack, miley away and against teams when we need to keep things tight, sub each when appropriate.

Got to hand it to the amigos thats depth/plan b.

Im really pleased mortons coming into his own, i had doubts and happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
That was a proper top draw performance tonight. Great football and solid in defence. Never gave a poor Eastleigh a sniff but then did we make them look poor. Only criticism was that we should have scored more. But some of the interchanging play in midfield between Noor, Morton and Moncur was sharp with Bridge playing well in a free role. Up top Pepple worked really hard and gave their defence no rest. Taylor was immense and both Crowther and Gubbins also played their part. Gubbins in particular put in some cracking crosses. Gus and Ralph both could have scored but Ralph deserved his goal.

Thought Morton had his best game and apart from giving the ball away and an ambitious shot from distance was excellent in keeping the ball moving.

Bonne looked lively when he came on and was unlucky not to be on the score sheet but looked fit and ready. Keenan also looked very good, so quick and showed some nice touches.

Considering we are missing Waldron, Walker, Coker and Miley the squad is building nicely. We’ve had a tough start with Hartlepool, Barnet and Oldham away and then Eastleigh at home. One defeat in seven is a fine start. Now Sutton at home and Fylde away are more than winnable

Colin 6- kicking not great but good handling
GSM 7- usual all action could have scored
Ralph 8- deserved his goal
Crowther 7- solid and won so many headers
Taylor 7.5- wins so many tackles and just doesn’t get beaten
Gubbins 7- best game in a Southend shirt
Husin 8- oozes class
Moncur 8- ball just sticks to his foot and rarely waste a pass
Morton 8.5 - best game for the club and always looks to keep the ball moving and forward thinking
Pepple 7- worked really hard and gave the defence no rest
Bridge 7- still looks a bit lost at times in the midfield roll but worked hard and created the first goal with a pin point cross. Great penalty

Bonne 7- looked liveky and fit. Unlucky not to score but can see he is a class above
Keenan 7- looked very quick and decent touches. A real asset
Wood 6- not much time but ran around and kept the defence busy

So all in all a very good performance. If this is the sign of things to come and the squad building and gelling then teams won’t want to play us and especially at RH. 6300 in attendance with barley any from Eastleigh and on a **** night weather wise and England on the telly. Roll on Saturday

Last edited:
A great performance last night and apart from the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half we looked in complete control and didn't sit back on our lead.

I thought Pepple looked a bit lost and unimpressive, maybe like most of our signings not match fit but when Bonne and Appiah-Forson came on we looked threatening and settled which is great for the future 😊

UTB 💙

Really enjoyable performance. Took a friend along tonight as Hank sr is on holiday. He was genuinely shocked at the quality of football we were able to produce. Helped that we delivered our best performance of the season.

Moncur raises everyone’s game. Even the little things he does make a difference - specifically today when the midfield are operating in neat little passing triangles, he consistantly holds the ball that little bit longer to draw in the opposition before releasing it to his teammates. That bit of extra space continually gave his teammates the space to raise their own games.

Bonne was desperately unlucky not to score. Looks like a talent. And he’s got a lot of strength to him too.

Some excellent moments from Collin, not the spectacular saves but certainly a couple of important punches.

Gus - weird but I don’t want him to score for a while (so long as someone else does!). He’s in the box so often these days. I just don’t want someone coming in and stealing him. Fast becoming one of my favourite players ever.

Midfield looked as good as we’ve seen with Morton, Husin, Moncur and Bridge moving the ball about with pace and precision.

Pepple - need to see more but he seems quick and strong.

Ralph a worthy MOTM.

I didn’t realize that Eastleigh were so high in the table. Our dominance in the first half was something to behold. Second half was just more professional as we kept them under control. Could easily have been a bigger score line.
Taking an innocent non-Shrimper to a match at the risk of getting him hooked is like a sick form of grooming. Disgusting behaviour.

A great result. Sadly I did not stay up to watch the game.

Last night's performance confirmed my belief that there is much to come from most of the players in the squad. As this happens the team is also bound to improve.

We still have a number of players to return from injury and I doubt if we are done with new signings. At full strength a play off place looks well within the capabilities of this group. If we make the post season we will be very high on the list of teams no one wants to meet.

It feels good to be a shrimpers supporter right now. I feel I have to thank the football 'brains trust' at Orient for gifting us GM and their club for subsidising during his stay with us. It also good that following Saturday's visit to Oldham KM obviously read this message board and fully bought into Wiggy's game plan. No crabs on the menu last night!

I wonder if at any stage last night HC paused to reflect on the difference between playing for half an hour in front how ever few pitched up to watch FGR last night and a full ninety minute stint in front of the rabid RH faithful. Which leads me to my final point which is the benefit of our players being able to play in front of healthy crowds offering their full support. Am I the only one on here who suspects that last night's penalty might not have been given away from home (or in front of a crowd of 1200)? No criticism of the refereee meant or implied but merely an observation on human nature.

Onwards and upwards...time foir a ten to fifteen game unbeaten run.

UTB.

Goodness, seem to have watched a different game to some of you - I thought Morton was the weak link in the team and totally overshadowed by Moncur and Husin in the middle. Couple of really poor judgement calls too and caught in possession a few times.

First opportunity to see the three new boys and impressed by all 3, Forson is just Terrell Egbri on speed isn't he? :Hilarious:

Collin is missing Dave Martin's guidance, his kicking was poor at times - yes, you might blame the monsoon that swept the pitch perhaps, but it's not the first time this season this has been a criticism. More work needed there, please. Save wise though, first class.

Defensively as happy as I've seen them this season - no-one berating anyone else (no need) and all of them playing with confidence. Gubbins put in about 4 absolutely cracking crosses that I certainly didn't know he had in his locker - and all of them came forwards confidently with the ball. Nathan Ralph deservedly MOTM, he did a "Gus", was absolutely everywhere in the box at each end and put in a couple of really textbook tackles too.

Bridgey's best performance of the season too - freedom to roam and some great interplay with Moncur. Confident penalty as always. Moncur is an absolute Rolls Royce of a player, smooth and accomplished and Husin improved throughout the match.

Was more than happy with Pepple's contribution, though I did think he had a goal on a plate. Still early days for him though.

The subs all made good impressions, delighted to see Bonne involved so soon.

Collin - 8
Gus - 8
Taylor - 8.5
Crowther - 8
Gubbins - 8
Ralph - 9
Moncur - 8.5
Husin - 8
Morton - 7
Bridge - 8
Pepple - 8

Decent officials on the whole, though the West Stand lino seemed to be blind to an obvious foul on Bridgey in the 2nd half.

Excellent performance, really was.

Either having a few games to settle down or just Kev giving them confidence, but Morton, Crowther and gubbins looked very much at home now.

I don’t think Miley and Morton can play in the same side as Morton absolutely bossed that midfield in a way he isn’t allowed to when Miley is in there taking up central positions. Nice problem to have, but if Morton keeps this up, he owns the shirt.

Gubbins looked like he gets our system and what we want from our cbs now. Finding himself especially in the first half in some excellent positions in the final third. Massive credit to Maher for how he has cultured that tactic.

Final player to highlight is Moncur. Wow.

Reminds me of when we signed Marsh. Just clearly a level above everyone else and he’s making those around him better. What I liked tonight is his movement. Try to watch it next game, it’s unlike pretty much any NL player.

Before he gets it he’s already had a look around and on the half turn. He then gets it, plays it and this is the thing to watch, he immediately moves to a free space. It really is superb, he’s always on the move which opens up space for others. Most players at this level pass and don’t think to move.

Oh and how about GSM coming in on those those back post crosses?! Amazing energy.

Liking this side alot right now. Suspect Kev is looking to play a more traditional 352 if the rumours of another forward (effiong?) coming in today are true, which I suspect does for Bridge as a starter - but again, these are the problems you want in a very good squad.

Excellent performance from the boys last night and to be honest 2-0 (my prediction beforehand :)) flattered Eastleigh who were 2nd in every department.

Moncur has been most creative player of late and if we keep him fit and 2 of our strikers hit double figures we will be in the play offs by Christmas.

We have got Barnet, Oldham and Hartlepool away all out of the way too which won't do us ant harm.

Good times ahead.

With all the nonsense around the club in the club over the last 2 weeks the importance of last nights game seemed to forgotten by most of us. Those of us who prefer RH under lights instead of England on the sofa were thoroughly entertaining evening.

Top work rate, control, possession and some lovely football to watch. Both keepers saved certain goals and were kept busy. It certainly wasn't a 2-0 first half, fizzle out to not a lot second. All that mattered after H/T is to make sure you don't concede before 60 mins. We achieved that nicely then pushed on and as so many have said if it had ended up 4-0 that could not have complained.

First shout goes to Pepple on his home debut. Tough gig on your own up top and after Saturday I was concerned he might not have the nous to use he weight and strength enough. Credit to lad as he made sure the defenders didn't have a cosy little evening. Even created his own chance by good work in the second half but didn't quite strike his shot properly.

Following on from Saturday, Morton looks like the man in the centre. Amazing what the apprentice can achieve when the master carpenter has day off. Ahead and free to do what he does best was Moncur. Any team needs leaders and he leads by example. Good players always have that half a second and with eyes in the back of his head he really is the Boss on the ball.

Now I'll let you into a secrete. I never really liked Kensdale. Not strong enough in the air and would turn his back and make himself smaller when blocking shot. also I can forgive the odd mistake but not letting a keepers kick bounce in front of you when your a CB.

People would say to me but he is really good bring the ball out from the back. So what, your job is to defend and make sure their number 9 has a bad day at the office......Ladies and gentleman, I give you Adam Crowther.

Anyway who needs any 20 a season strikers when you have Brazilian wing backs. Lovely move and numbers in the box for the first goal. From where was I couldn't see the hand ball but it did come from the best corner we took that half and great time to make it 2-0.

Well done to all those that showed up. The lads will be buzzing this week and all looking forward to Saturday. So should ever Shrimper. Make sure your at the Hall.

Last edited:
With all the nonsense around the club in the club over the last 2 weeks the importance of last nights game seemed to forgotten by most of us. Those of us who prefer RH under lights instead of England on the sofa were thoroughly entertaining evening.

Top work rate, control, possession and some lovely football to watch. Both keepers saved certain goals and were kept busy. It certainly wasn't a 2-0 first half, fizzle out to not a lot second. All that mattered after H/T is to make sure you don't concede before 60 mins. We achieved that nicely then pushed on and as so many have said if it had ended up 4-0 that could not have complained.

First shout goes to Pepple on his home debut. Tough gig on your own up top and after Saturday I was concerned he might not have the nous to use he weight and strength enough. Credit to lad as he made sure the defenders didn't have a cosy little evening. Even created his own chance by good work in the second half but didn't quite strike his shot properly.

Following on from Saturday, Morton look like the man in the centre. Amazing what the apprentice can achieve when the master carpenter has away off. Ahead of free to do what he does best was Moncur. Any team needs leaders and he leads by example. Good players always have that half second and with eyes in the back of his head he really is the Boss on the ball.

Now I let you into a secrete. I never really liked Kensdale. Not strong enough in the air and would turn his back and make himself smaller when blocking shot. also I can forgive the odd mistake but not letting a keepers kick bounce in front of you when your a CB.

People would say to me but he is really good bring the ball out from the back. So what, your job is to defend and make sure their number 9 has a bad day at the office......Ladies and gentleman, I give you Adam Crowther.

Anyway who needs a season strikers when you have Brazilian wing backs. Lovely move and numbers in the box for the first goal. From where was I couldn't see the hand ball but it did come from the best corner we took that half and great time to make it 2-0.

Well done to all those that showed up. The lads will be buzzing this week and all looking forward to Saturday. So should ever Shrimper. Make sure your at the Hall.
Forgot to say that I too though Pepple was a real handful for their defence, making himself very busy which opens up room for the others to thrive.

Back