• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Boston United

Kick off was 2.45 am local time and I did watch the game on the National League stream. The last time I watched the Blues at such an anti social hour was a few years ago now, when we were away to Luton (a game comfortably lost) when Chris Powell was manager.

We did win last night but when the game ended I felt somewhat underwhelmed. Perhaps it was because it was nearly 5am or it may have been because I felt unable to work out if the opposition were just really poor, or, their dire performance was because of the way we imposed ourselves on them. As always perhaps a little bit of both. Until we see more opponents I am reluctant to label them as the worst team in the competition but I have a suspicion they might be.

A win is a win but I actually thought our second half on Saturday way more impressive than what I saw in this game as that was a real test of character against serious opposition.

Negatives for me: our set pieces where we failed to create hardly anything from multiple corners and free kicks. Also, considering the amount of possession we enjoyed we created remarkably few real chances.

But despite my nit picking this was three points achieved on the back of a wholehearted team effort and we remain unbeaten. Wins last night by both York City and Hartlepool make our recent draws against them look creditable results. I remain very optimistic about our seasonal prospects as I am sure there is a lot of improvement in this team.

One of the reasons I stayed up to watch the game was to see what Moncur offered. I liked what I saw. Even in the tightest of areas he always looked to have time which seemed to confirm he might be a class above National League level. He looks the sort of player that will win some games for us and delight us with his skills. It is usually impossible to secure unananimity from all those on SZ but I am going to try: can we all agree Moncur is a serious upgrade on Fonguck?

Well done to KM all involved in securing his services. In the context of the NL his signing is a coup.

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to wins on both Saturday and Monday!

BOSTON United boss Ian Culverhouse thought Southend United's strikers were the difference between the two teams at Roots Hall tonight.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

Well if he thinks our strikers were the only difference between the two sides he needs to think again. Boston play Tamworth on Saturday which really is a must win for them or they will sink without trace.

We face Barnet next and I suspect we will adopt similar tactics to those used v Hartlepool. Moncur may make all the difference this time.

We really should have buried Boston tonight,loads of possession and some excellent approach play but we were so profligate with our final ball in with little to get on the end of. Our defenders had an easy night apart from the last 10mins when their subs harried us for every ball making life a little less comfortable. As for Waldron , for all his undoubted effort I just don`t think he`s got it, he blew his chances against a very average side and I see nothing but a very willing runner, we need more. All in all a much improved performance but hope Moncur brings that desperately needed brain to midfield.
Yea again spot on about Waldron. Lots of people backing him tonight and saying what a willing runner and hard worker he is etc. that’s great but if we want to go up we need better than that. He’ll be a back up only now and even then if we can bring in someone better then hell be 4th choice.

The amount of times the ball bounced off him with a bad touch, or ran away from him, or he picked the wrong pass or made the wrong run etc.

I get players have bad games - hopefully it’s a factor - but as I said in my original post, that’s the worst team I’ve probably ever seen at roots hall and they were leaving us acres of space. He should have done better.

The one chance he did get - which he did very well to fashion himself btw - he fluffed Ultimately. Maybe he had too much time and too many other options to pass to and that happens… but going back to my first point here, if we want to challenge at the top, we will need better.

I expect Kev knows this as why we got Walker (and rumoured to be after Bongo or Adarkwa, both of who would be above Waldron in the pecking order)

I think a few of supporters are being harsh on Waldron tbh

Hist first start of the season and for me he showed alot of positives

His movement off the ball caused their defence problems allowed us to make chances

Last night was the best Cardwell has looked since last season and it's not always down to the opposition. I think Waldron had a hand in that and I personally think we let them cook until walker can come back and make a claim

Yea again spot on about Waldron. Lots of people backing him tonight and saying what a willing runner and hard worker he is etc. that’s great but if we want to go up we need better than that. He’ll be a back up only now and even then if we can bring in someone better then hell be 4th choice.

The amount of times the ball bounced off him with a bad touch, or ran away from him, or he picked the wrong pass or made the wrong run etc.

I get players have bad games - hopefully it’s a factor - but as I said in my original post, that’s the worst team I’ve probably ever seen at roots hall and they were leaving us acres of space. He should have done better.

The one chance he did get - which he did very well to fashion himself btw - he fluffed Ultimately. Maybe he had too much time and too many other options to pass to and that happens… but going back to my first point here, if we want to challenge at the top, we will need better.

I expect Kev knows this as why we got Walker (and rumoured to be after Bongo or Adarkwa, both of who would be above Waldron in the pecking order)
'if we want to go up we need better than that'
Is not the question: can we afford better than that?

I didn't think Boston were as bad as some clearly do. They played some neat stuff at times but seemed to suffer from the same problem we had when Mooney was with us of being unable to convert in the final third (Collin's save apart). Which begs the question, is it a Mooney problem?

Anyway, on to us, and we should really have been more clinical and finished with more goals. Gutted for Waldron who I thought started very well, he really needs a goal and I thought he should have had one. Works better with Cardwell than Walker at the moment though. Cards was fab, his strength and speed was obviously hard for them to deal with.

A big surprise to see Noor start, but fantastic to see him back and looking sharp and being exactly the player we've missed. Him and Cav and Coker were terrific together. Throw in Moncur for longer periods and that's a really impressive midfield.

Defensively very strong. Bridge looked much more comfortable, and good to see all three of the CDs getting forward, Taylor was probably my MOTM, seemed to be re-living his CM days as I'm sure he was forward more than he was defending. Gus still gets overlooked far too often for my liking - in acres of space, wide open on the wing and looking for a quick ball out. Only happened a couple of times, both of which were over hit. Work on that a bit more and we have that electric turn of pace to cause problems for opponents.

Ralph and Kensdale also very good in defence and Collin barely had a thing to do all night but did make an incredible point blank instinct save which was offside.

We've not had a box to box creative midfielder since Anthony Wordsworth left, and it is something we have really missed. George Moncur showed he can fill that hole if he stays fit and motivated. What a player! Great defensive tracking back and recovery. Smooth as you like, confident and skilful. Seemed reluctant to have a shot though, was happy to ping the ball about in front of the opponents' box instead. Hopefully that confidence will grow and he'll start shooting.

Collin - 7
Gus - 8
Taylor - 8.5 MOTM
Kensdale - 8
Ralph - 8
Bridge - 7
Coker - 7.5
Miley - 7.5
Husin - 8
Cardwell - 8
Waldron - 7.5

Subs:
Moncur - 8
Others not on long enough.

Officials - Okay, did think the ref let a couple of things go that he shouldn't.

Credit to the Boston fans who kept the singing going throughout.

A most enjoyable evening at Roots Hall - did the floodlights seem a bit dim to some? We thought they weren't as bright as normal!

Yeah tbh am in two minds about Waldron. He made some good runs, got in good positions and I really felt for him when through on goal as he’d set himself up well but ultimately couldn’t bury it which would’ve done wonders for his confidence. Last night was a big chance for him against a poor defence. He did look sharper than in pre season and the run out would’ve done him good but he needs to take these opportunities. Seems like a decent lad so hope he can succeed here.

Last edited:
I did feel a bit sorry for Boston last night. Based on that performance it will be straight back down for them. As for us, there were signs of the old Southend, high press, quick breaks etc, but only in part. Score early, foot of the gas! We danced through the first half, seldom getting out of second gear, and on to the second half. Another early goal and the result was beyond doubt. Enter Mr Moncur, and we all started dribbling with anticipation and excitement (well I did, anyway), and all of a sudden some were talking world beaters. Last night's performance was considerably better than York or Hartlepool and we scored two goals from open play (see, we do, and can, do that), but our overall improvement was slow burn. Let's hope that Barnet will see us giving it large for the full 90 minutes. I'm not getting why Danny Waldron appears to be this season's Marmite. He hasn't had the minutes pre season, but there is definitely a good player in there and I will reserve judgement until he has had a few more games. A shame that Josh Walker is injured, but that is Danny's opportunity to prove he was right to give up a day job and give his playing soul to Southend.

3 more points, unbeaten after 3 games and 10th in the table, that will do for now.

Haven’t seen much mention of Noor’s sublime cross for Gus’s goal nor Gus’s header which he made look so easy. Unbelievable to think GSM hadn’t played even at NL level before us, he’s class. Shows what can be done once you step up. Also showed the importance of good early deliveries into the box which don’t happen enough sadly .. nor do good set pieces (still). Couple of corners from Bridge which were shocking (sorry Jack) so still work to do on that front. Once it all clicks .. watch out!

Couple of corners from Bridge which were shocking (sorry Jack) so still work to do on that front. Once it all clicks .. watch out!
Good point, I meant to mention the corners. Both Coker and Bridge have been poor with their corners so far this season. Out best corner taker is, unfortunately, being used as last man cover. Our 2nd best was on the pitch last night but didn't take any (Noor).

Harry Taylor man of the match for me. Lots of contenders though.
We look difficult to beat which bodes well, and indeed we are. Only one defeat in 18 competitive games now. If there’s no standout side in NL this season then four points every six is probably enough
Taylor is always MOM lol, you just know he is going to make the tackle.

I didn't think Boston were as bad as some clearly do. They played some neat stuff at times but seemed to suffer from the same problem we had when Mooney was with us of being unable to convert in the final third (Collin's save apart). Which begs the question, is it a Mooney problem?

Anyway, on to us, and we should really have been more clinical and finished with more goals. Gutted for Waldron who I thought started very well, he really needs a goal and I thought he should have had one. Works better with Cardwell than Walker at the moment though. Cards was fab, his strength and speed was obviously hard for them to deal with.

A big surprise to see Noor start, but fantastic to see him back and looking sharp and being exactly the player we've missed. Him and Cav and Coker were terrific together. Throw in Moncur for longer periods and that's a really impressive midfield.

Defensively very strong. Bridge looked much more comfortable, and good to see all three of the CDs getting forward, Taylor was probably my MOTM, seemed to be re-living his CM days as I'm sure he was forward more than he was defending. Gus still gets overlooked far too often for my liking - in acres of space, wide open on the wing and looking for a quick ball out. Only happened a couple of times, both of which were over hit. Work on that a bit more and we have that electric turn of pace to cause problems for opponents.

Ralph and Kensdale also very good in defence and Collin barely had a thing to do all night but did make an incredible point blank instinct save which was offside.

We've not had a box to box creative midfielder since Anthony Wordsworth left, and it is something we have really missed. George Moncur showed he can fill that hole if he stays fit and motivated. What a player! Great defensive tracking back and recovery. Smooth as you like, confident and skilful. Seemed reluctant to have a shot though, was happy to ping the ball about in front of the opponents' box instead. Hopefully that confidence will grow and he'll start shooting.

Collin - 7
Gus - 8
Taylor - 8.5 MOTM
Kensdale - 8
Ralph - 8
Bridge - 7
Coker - 7.5
Miley - 7.5
Husin - 8
Cardwell - 8
Waldron - 7.5

Subs:
Moncur - 8
Others not on long enough.

Officials - Okay, did think the ref let a couple of things go that he shouldn't.

Credit to the Boston fans who kept the singing going throughout.

A most enjoyable evening at Roots Hall - did the floodlights seem a bit dim to some? We thought they weren't as bright as normal!
I'll second those stats. Taylor MOTM for me, aswell. Whenever we lost possession Taylor tidied up at the back, and even drove forward on occasions.

On Mooney looked annoyed at the Boston manager as he was subbed and went straight down the tunnel. The other substitute who came off (Wood) at the same time was directed by someone in the directors box to go and get Mooney to come back to the bench.

Difficult to gauge this performance in view of how poor Boston were. We should have scored more than two and maybe try to keep in on the deck more with through balls to the front runners instead of too many hit and hope crosses. The high point was seeing what a proper attacking midfielder looks like at last. Moncur was a class above and so encouraging to see him make an instant impact. Sterner tests to come but plenty to take heart from.

Back