• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Boston United

That was more like the Southend we have grown to love. Much more on the front foot with Husin breaking the lines well. Thought we got the ball forward much quicker at times and both Waldron and Cardwell had pace to burn. Cardwell used his perfectly to score the opening goal and really felt for Waldron who did all the hard work and drew a good safe from the keeper although he really should have scored. We dominated the game and my only real criticism was we could and should have scored more. But you can only beat what’s in front of you and that’s what we did. We actually played some lovely football and look at our best when we move the ball quickly.

Colin- a spectator for most the game and made one save first half but the lad was offside. Kicking was good and much improved over the last year or so

Gus- just excellent and such a threat in the air, top scorer at present
Bridge- looked so much better in his preferred position and defo is crossing the ball earlier
Kensdale- did what he had to do
Taylor- excellent again and times his tackles so well and got forward a fair bit today
Ralph- when fit he is a class act, fitness is the key

Miley- back to his old self. Standard yellow card but thereafter very disciplined
Coker- works so hard and has a lovely right foot although set pieces werent his best today
Husin- my MOM, thought he was terrific tonight as he was Saturday and we look so much better with him in the side

Cardwell- looked at his best today, worked his socks off and got the early goal we needed
Waldron- I’m desperate for him to come good. Thought he worked really hard and linked up well with Cards. Would have loved him to score that goal first half after setting himself up. Thought he looked much fitter from the start and didn’t lack effort

Moncur- if this is a glimpse of what to expect then happy days. Oozed class and certainly any rumours about his match sharpness and fitness not being there were put to bed tonight.

Morton, Gubbins, Wind- little time to impress although Wind showed some nice touches

Not sure why we didn’t use all 5 subs and thought Wood for 20-25 mins would be a good option

Nearly 7000 in attendance, nit too shabby for. Tuesday summer holidays game

Onto Barnet and with confidence. A sold out away end will be making plenty of noise. No reason to fear them and as Paul Clarke said this is Barnet not Real Madrid. This game will be a test but no reason we can’t get a result there. I’d take 4 pts from them and Daggers. This will leave us in a good position table wise

Good game. Could have been more clinical.

Noor looked great and Moncur was class.

Gus Mom for me.

Hoowfully a full away support away at barnet and 8k for the daggers game.

Looks like reading the treads we have a lot of difference of opinion on MOM, which to my way of thinking is good, makes for a more even team effort, not one man dominating makes us a better team Saturday versus Barnet will be a big step for us a win or draw there and yes i believe we then will be in the mix, Reading the treads it seems Boston didnt offer much maybe thats because we didnt allow them too or they just poor ,hope it was my first suggestion . Anyway on to Saturday match of the day to my way of thinking in the NL.

Harry Taylor man of the match for me. Lots of contenders though.
We look difficult to beat which bodes well, and indeed we are. Only one defeat in 18 competitive games now. If there’s no standout side in NL this season then four points every six is probably enough

Only complaint is Waldron had a GOLDEN chance to go out and stake a claim and we may have found out this isnt his level. Touch was poor, had no confidence he was going to score when 1 on 1 and just didnt do anything to excel in what was probably the easiest game we're going to get in terms of opposition and the space they gave us.

Boston only just scraped their way through the playoffs, lost their key players and haven’t replaced them. Waldron proved last season he is capable of bagging against sides like Boston, but hard for him to get into a real rhythm here for whatever reason. I do have concerns about his goal-scoring at this level but there’s no denying the guy will run all day (and night). Put in a real shift. A good option to have within the squad that’s for sure. Some lethal firepower needed and then we will be set 👍🦐

My man of the match was Nathan Ralph who was immense at the back and so much more a threat going forward from left centre-half but all three centre-halves twigged that this was a game where they didn’t need to defend and could take turns to saunter forward. Taylor in particular was a real threat underlapping
[...]

The man who made us tick though was Noor.
Spot on with the comments on Ralph and Taylor at the top, I see Chris Wilder as maybe being the single biggest influence on Maher tactically and Ralph really exemplifies this role that Wilder pioneered.

I was critical for a lot of last season towards Husin and his ability to click with the rest of the midfield but was happy to see him take a more pivotal role today.

Btw comment from Boston forum: "Was like we'd won a raffle to play there. Or an fa cup tie where theres 3 or 4 leagues difference"

Last edited:
Boston only just scraped their way through the playoffs, lost their key players and haven’t replaced them. Waldron proved last season he is capable of bagging against sides like Boston, but hard for him to get into a real rhythm here for whatever reason. I do have concerns about his goal-scoring at this level but there’s no denying the guy will run all day (and night). Put in a real shift. A good option to have within the squad that’s for sure. Some lethal firepower needed and then we will be set 👍🦐
I think Waldron is a very capable striker and will add goals if he can get a run of games in the first team.

We really should have buried Boston tonight,loads of possession and some excellent approach play but we were so profligate with our final ball in with little to get on the end of. Our defenders had an easy night apart from the last 10mins when their subs harried us for every ball making life a little less comfortable. As for Waldron , for all his undoubted effort I just don`t think he`s got it, he blew his chances against a very average side and I see nothing but a very willing runner, we need more. All in all a much improved performance but hope Moncur brings that desperately needed brain to midfield.

Back