• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Boston United

Really enjoyed that tonight, I thought the movement off the ball was first class. Thought Waldron was okay but he is a member of a team that seems to be close knit. Maybe he will not be first choice striker but he is an important member of the squad.

Thought 1-11 all over the pitch we were better, even the ref put in a couple of passes better than some of the Boston players did.

Very very comfortable tonight. Played some really lively football at times and kept the ball really well. Yes, Boston were poor but you can only beat what’s in front of you and we did just that.

Bridge looked fitter and more up for it tonight than first game of season. Linked nicely with Ralph at times and looks like he’s going to form a really nice partnership with Moncur already.

Solid as anything at the back with no slip ups of note. Played the ball out from defence so well all night.

Cards was great again. Really does put in the effort and lead from the front. I’m very much not with those who are knocking Waldron. I thought he chased everything tonight, made some great runs in the channels and got involved. The goals will come.

Moncur. Looked bloody brilliant. So calm and seemed to give himself so much time on the ball whenever he got it. Really excited to see how he goes over the next few games. Think we’ve got a vital piece of the jigsaw there.

Finally, great to see Husin back in the starting line up. Thought he had a really tidy game….. apart from that second half shot from edge of the box 🤣😂🤣😂

Positive vibes tonight.

Thought we just looked "Match Fitter" tonight.
Knocked it around well but perhaps the first look is backwards but that seems to be the way all teams play now; all about possession.
Kev has a few selection headaches but nice to have that issue; bench full of able players and I would just think one more striker or give Wood more pitch time and we are there!

Just nice to be focussing on Football and not what Cr*p Ron is pulling down this week!

COTB!!!

Os fan (and closet Shrimper due to family) here in peace. Moncur is a class act but don't wait for him to be fit, he's never been fit. He was top player here in E10 but only for half a game and not the guy you need when you have to scrap. I hope he can provide what you need but don't wish for too much too often. I understand we're still paying a huge chunk of his massive wages.

Really pleased with the lads tonight. A very professional performance. They weren't a very good side, but how often have you seen us sit on a 1-0 and throw it away at the end. I was impressed with the way we kept the ball and worked our socks off to get it back, when we gave it away. Moncur looks a great addition. Onwards and upwards !

Interesting - Saturday night having picked up 2 points in 2 very tricky games, whilst we were still right off the pace, and we were relegation fodder. Then tonight we comfortably beat a very poor Boston side 2-0 and barely made it out of second gear, and suddenly we are top notch its all okay...

That was a decent game tonight. Lovely to get the first goal early on, and we looked confident and its looking like things are coming together nicely.

For those moaning about Waldron, just give the lad time. He looks fitter than last season, and he has clearly been working on strength and stamina. Its a bit step up, and no doubt a big learning curve still, and he did not look out of place at all. I still think he is an upgrade on Powell, and will keep Walker on his toes..

Noor did well, Bridge was far more effective tonight, the defence is looking solid, barring on or two minor hiccups, and we missed a few chances that were probably easier to score!

And Moncur. Wow, easily the classiest player I have seen at this level. Thank you Leyton Orient! I think we have our playmaker!

Edited to add - my Dad was halfway through telling me that he thought we were fannying about too much, just as Gus got the second. I had to laugh, he just put his head in his hands... 🤣

Very comfortable against probably the poorest side we will face all season. Don’t think Collin had a save to make?

Only gripe is it should have been far more than 2. Still lacking that killer instinct in the box. Get Adarkwa or Kabongo in and we are in business.

Moncur you can see has a brain far beyond any other in this team. Give him a few games to get warmed up and we have a class player on our hands for this level.
this.

Hard to choose between Cards and Taylor for MOTM for me.

Agree with others that at times we played it back to Collin too much when there was a forward pass available, but hey ho can’t moan too much.

Moncur - what a signing. You can easily see he’s played at a higher level, his close control and touch were superb.

As for not being fit or tracking back (Jonny Stokes) he certainly got back quick enough to our box to break up Bostons attack near the end.

🦐💙

Os fan (and closet Shrimper due to family) here in peace. Moncur is a class act but don't wait for him to be fit, he's never been fit. He was top player here in E10 but only for half a game and not the guy you need when you have to scrap. I hope he can provide what you need but don't wish for too much too often. I understand we're still paying a huge chunk of his massive wages.
I think he'll fit in well, here. He'll relish being a big fish in a small pond and our youngsters will learn a lot from him.

After about 15 minutes I started getting flashbacks to Dorking away last season. That was our third game of the season and like tonight on short rest against a team who’d come up from the division below (albeit a year earlier) and would go onto get relegated and we’d absolutely dominated for the first 20 minutes until giving away a goal passing it around at the back.

Fortunately we didn’t concede and instead strolled to the most comfortable victory I can remember in years. The scoreline doesn’t reflect the gulf between the sides. That however likely says more about our opponents that it does about ourselves. I’m struggling to recall a side that offers so little. They weren’t so much chasing shadows as sitting back admiring penumbras. They had nothing in attack, were porous in defence, missing in midfield. They had no pace, no physicality, they showed no ability on the ball. For 80 minutes I can’t recall ever seeing a team offer so little and I’ve seen us lose 5-0 at Carlisle. I felt pity for whoever had to compile their highlights, their highlight was quite possibly a Dan Mooney run when he showed a surprising turn of pace - but that was him running down the tunnel after being substituted. They admittedly picked up in the final 10 minutes but had we shown more composure we would have run up a rugby score.

My man of the match was Nathan Ralph who was immense at the back and so much more a threat going forward from left centre-half but all three centre-halves twigged that this was a game where they didn’t need to defend and could take turns to saunter forward. Taylor in particular was a real threat underlapping our top scorer Gus, if only Harry had some more quality in possession. Collin also had a very impressive game with a lot of one touch distribution and when called up was alert (although it was offside anyway).

The man who made us tick though was Noor. We look a different team with him in. His ability to beat a man and his movement open angles up for his teammates, whilst Bridge and Gus stretch the opposition. Alongside Noor and with passing options open Coker had his best game this season. By the time Moncur had come on for a surprisingly sprite Noor, the game was over. Moncur looks like being able to turn with ease and possesses the confidence to drive things forward. That directness is needed as we are prone to overplay at times, with too few having the confidence to play the final ball. That will hopefully come with time and a few more wins under their belts. Moncur’s best moment though was when he tracked back to win the ball and had the composure to play a delightful ball to Bridge to set up a counter attack. Like most of Boston’s attacks it ended with us looking more likely to score than they had.

Cardwell took the opening goal well and that should similarly do him the world of good. He was skinning his man for pace. Walker must be absolutely kicking himself to have missed this one. In his absence Waldron was willing if not able.

Finally spare a thought for poor Adam Crowther, yet to appear this season, who couldn’t even get on when Maher brought three subs on at the end.

Onto Barnet, who surely have to provide a tougher test, with a spring in our step.

Much better performance than the York game.Thought Noor was immense throughout.Whilst Waldron looked sharp in the first half he was much quieter in the second.My worries are we are still missing a natural goalscorer

Loved the over the top reaction to Every Moncur pass in blocks W and V 🤣🤣
Overall good stuff from the lads, clear from the off that there was an emphasis to get down the channels a bit more, Coker and Noor very willing runners on the underlap often.
Could have been 5 or 6, two will do.

I forgot to put my MoM in my earlier post. For me it was Cav.

Despite another early yellow, he dominated the deep midfield role, was always available and reigned in the challenges once he was on a yellow.

I think he is a Rolls Royce of a player, purrs his way through a game , does the mundane clearing up well and sometimes unseen, but still drives forward. (His booking was for a reckless challenge on the edge of their box).

My wish for him is we can get promoted when he is still in our team, so he can get to play in the EFL.

Well played tonight Cav - masterful display!

Back