• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

I was there - he was shocking!!!
If we get rid of Kev who you gonna bring in.....I have some names, Kevin Bond, Phil Brown, Sol Campbell all far superior Managers to Kev!!!
I didn’t say he should go, I just said that were overly in debt to him after his loyalty, which could be to our detriment if he fails to guide us out of the NL for several seasons. This is what, our third/fourth year in the NL? What looks different this season on the pitch to the last few years? I’m not seeing much

I thought the 2 substitutions were right at the time and positive from Maher.
An attacking midfielder for a defensive one and going 3 at the back for the extra forward.
I think Maher probably expected Sutton to just sit back and defend, but credit to them, they got players forward and attacked when they could. This resulted in their third goal.

I only wish we could learn to play on the break and not lose momentum with a backwards or sideways pass.

A few comments about us not having a plan B.
Wasn't our plan B making an attacking change by bringing on Appiah-Forson and Bonne for Gubbins and Morton?
Yes, we got caught on the counter attack, but it happens from time to time. We just need to suck it up and move on.

Plan C. Would have been to go more direct.....and then watch the Sutton defenders clearing their lines with ease?

In terms of how we play, we have an identity now and as supporters we should be proud of that and relish seeing our players trying to play the intricate, attractive football that Kev drills into them all week on the training ground.

You don't see Man City or Liverpool playing any differently when on the rare occasion they're chasing a game. It's about patience and maintaining the believe that by continuing to play the style of football that you're accustomed to will eventually get you back into the game.
Today, it didnt quite happen, but I saw more than enough to make me believe we'll be in the top 7 come the end of the season.

We have some decent attacking options in midfield now with both Moncur and Appiah-Forson having the ability to carry the ball forward at pace forcing the opposition onto the back foot. That's what we've been crying out for and that's what we've now got.

Of course, there's still a bit of work for Kev to do on the training ground. There's some new partnerships that need a bit more time to gel. I'm sure we'll see a couple more come in to strengthen the squad which will make us a real force.

Let's keep backing these players as I'm sure that over the course of 46 games, they will ultimately reward us.
Well said Lincolnshrimp.A good and balanced post

The squad is still incredibly weak. We’re asking Moncur to play 90 minutes twice a week, when it’s clear from about 30 minutes in he can’t muster the energy for a shot.

Bonne has come in and looks okay but also obviously way off the pace. Noor was injured for all of pre-season, we say “we need to protect him” and then make him play 90 minutes for multiple matches in a row.

Our bench still has no quality to bring on in occasions like today, I’m sorry but Wood, Faulkner and Macdonald shouldn’t be anywhere near a National League team sheet.

Collin is a way off being a number one for me. Yes he’s good for his age but without a solid defence in front of him, he’s going to struggle (and is).

Tactics are woeful and really don’t ever improve. Maher’s negative demeanour plays out on the pitch every week. Least week Eastleigh made us look way better than we actually are unfortunately.

Desperately need some investment in the squad, and stop the “we’re waiting for the EFL window to close”… window closes… “we can’t find the quality we need in the market”. Unless we’re giving up on the playing side to be “sustainable” which is impossible in this league, things need to change fast.

Looking forward to people saying fans are overreacting - but there needs to be serious improvement soon. Yes there are positives, but these glaring negatives need rectifying quickly.

I'll be honest, I've thought for a while that Maher wasnt really good enough to be that guy to take us out this league. But today, was not his fault. I still maintain its the way he sets us up being a key factor as to why we cant kill off teams, i think the ethos of playing the extra pass, playing out from the back, is killing us and makes us so so so easy to set up against. Sutton had absolutely nothing in the first half.

Now, I adore Kev as most do, I think the subs came at the right time, and were the right choices to make. Our biggest issue today was headloss. Not the same excuse of "stretched squad" or any other bull**** that affected us last season, today was simply the players couldnt hack it. Crowther as a ball playing central defender is simply not good enough imo, and as silly as the mistake was, top pro's recover and neither Taylor or Crowther did. Colins passing has been woeful all season and i think if we want to keep playing this way, he HAS to go.

Carrying on regarding Kev, we only have one style of play. 3-5-2 with agressive wing backs that attack the back post. Now with that im a little on the fence as to drastically change our system requires squad depth (which we do not have) so I think its fair to say we cant exactly go and change our system. But my main issue is were such a first half team. We could've had 3 in the first half (4/5 against Eastleigh) but we simply cant. Sutton coped and got a goal from nothing and no player on the pitch wanted to take accountability or responsibility and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

No one is immune to critisism and today the lads were poor with dealing with that mistake. I still believe there is of course a long way to go, but so far this season bar Eastleigh, we have failed often enough with the very basics which does have me frustrated.

Why poor young Collin is getting all the stick again I don’ t know -

Because it’s every single game. I have watched 6 of our 8 games this season, and Colin has had at least one wobble in every one of them.

Every. Single. One.

It’s not his fault we lost today, don’t get me wrong. He’s a decent young keeper and will almost certainly play at a much higher level.

But we mustn’t pretend that these things aren’t happening. They are. I know they are, because I see them every game

What a horrible game that was, Sutton were a nasty niggly side who often left a foot in after a tackle and got away with it among other dark arts, Pepple on the end of most.

It just didn’t click today, we flattered to deceive 1st half but we’re in no danger until the Crowther / Taylor mishap. I’m not sure what the issue was with their scorer giving it to the crowd in a massive way..odd behaviour which deserved a yellow card.

2nd half is best forgotten, we just ran out of steam, ideas and effort. There was little to no movement off the ball and lost all shape. I’m not sure why Morton was taken off ..he holds the base of midfield and moves us forward, that went with his substitution…Noor wasn’t great today (nor Moncur) I would have taken one of them off and perhaps Bridge for Bonne.

I’m hoping that it’s just 3 games in a week that has led to this type of performance…mind not much rest before the next game.

Just a word on Pepple, he worked hard and held the ball well whilst being roughed up by their Nr 3. I think once he gets his 1st goal and the confidence it brings he will be a useful addition

Back