• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Maher's got to hold his hands up here (if he can take his hands out of his pockets for long enough)

No game management. Taking Gubbins off was a massive mistake.

As much as this is a new era, we are pinning our hopes on George Moncur who, as soon as you saw how hot it was today, you knew he wouldn't contribute much. Feels like a Ron Martin signing the more I see him play.

That Bonne miss. Jesus. A cushioned pass into the hands of Arnold. Awful.

When did Noor last have a good game?

Gsm. Top scorer. Should probably keep his mouth shut a bit more. You don't have to moan at every decision.

I said it last week, Collin isn't ready to be a number one.

More than this, I found myself looking over at Maher in the 2nd half. Either hands in his pockets or arms crossed. Hardly inspiring. He looks beaten.

I understand you can't win every game, but I'm not having getting beaten by teams like that after going in front.

This league is wide open this season and we are looking terrible. Similar vibe to the daggers game where I feel that equaliser papered over the cracks.

Bless Pebble. Works his socks off but is not the answer here when the requirement is being up top on your own.

Maher's on the radio now saying we should have been full of beans. Perhaps he should take his own advice and take his hands out of his pockets and start changing his style on the sideline.

We aren't under an embargo any more. I'm not seeing players improve. And that is a worry.
Seems a massive massive over reaction to me.learn from football never get to down on defeats never get to up when we win.

Was a bad performance today I actually thought the subs were spot on. Was saying to the people round me one of the first times I’ve seen km take off a holding mid for a striker and go for it. Yes it didn’t work but more of Tuesday less of today we will be ok it’s a project.

Keep the faith

Ps km is one of the most animated managers I have ever seen in the sideline

I didn’t say he should go, I just said that were overly in debt to him after his loyalty, which could be to our detriment if he fails to guide us out of the NL for several seasons. This is what, our third/fourth year in the NL? What looks different this season on the pitch to the last few years? I’m not seeing much
He still hasn’t had a summer no embargo ridiculous comment

I cannot help but think that the Titanic scale ****-up in the 45 +5th minute impacted us for the rest of the game. That and the fact that we bossed the first half but STILL cannot score a second goal. It all seemed to be going so well when GSM majestically and calmly stroked the ball away for his goal of the season so far. However, Colin needs to be taken aside and told to sort out his numerous unnecessarily poor or risky clearances if he wants to remain first choice keeper. He clearly lost confidence in the second half. Bem worked hard and was fighting the ref all game. Bonne should have had at least one goal today and now needs to score soon or he will start to lose the fans. Pretty much any performance score for players in the first half could be halved for the second. A very very frustrating match, the like of which I hope we do not see again. 1-3........I ask you, FFS!!!!🤬🤬
PS my grandson was a flag waver today and he put in the sort of enthusiastic flawless performance we needed.❤️

Last edited:
Always maintained this is the real test for Maher. But indeed he needs a full season with no summer embargo. This season and next season should give us a better insight on what type of stuff we can expect from KM

Got to be said, we need a proper goalkeeper, he is getting more of a liability every week. Makes the defenders a bag of nerves with his distribution and overall he is a 3.5/5 shot stopper and 1/5 distributor.
That makes a 4.5/10 goal keeper, sure there is better out there?
Rest had an off day but roll on Tuesday to rectify it!

Seems a massive massive over reaction to me.learn from football never get to down on defeats never get to up when we win.

Was a bad performance today I actually thought the subs were spot on. Was saying to the people round me one of the first times I’ve seen km take off a holding mid for a striker and go for it. Yes it didn’t work but more of Tuesday less of today we will be ok it’s a project.

Keep the faith

Ps km is one of the most animated managers I have ever seen in the sideline

Cool we'll agree to disagree. I can't imagine a world where I'll be delighted with 17th in non league following the takeover.

More power to you if you're happy with that.

It was the wrong midfielder and the wrong defender. If you can't see that, then I don't know where to begin.

The worst part of that game was making us watch an additional 6 minutes at the end of both halves. I'm not sure we can criticise Kev's substitution decisions, any one of them could have been taken off today. We were a real mess at the back and he had to change something, which he did, taking off a defender and defensive midfielder, bringing on a striker and attacking midfielder and pushing Bridge on the left, where he is most effective. Sadly wasn't enough. The thing that most stood out today is our lack of squad depth. Tuesday we were excellent the way we pressed, today a total opposite. What's changed in 4 days? Again, squad depth....

Losing Cardwell and Kensdale is showing to be a big loss. I said previously we need another centre back and I haven't changed my opinion. We need another, and certainly we lack leadership out there. Far to easy to walk through our back line today. Walker should be back next week and I'd like to see him alongside Bonne, who I'll give benefit of the doubt of needing match sharpness, after that woeful back pass of a shot. Hope we don't see another performance like that for a long time from this team. Painful watch!

The loss today had nothing to do with systems. Was about individual errors , as a manager there’s nothing you can do. Errors will automatically knock the teams confidence during a game. I’m 100% certain this team will dust themselves down and put a good performance in on Tuesday
100%. Think the youth of some showed. Could see how well Arnold reacted after his mistake for the goal. Some of ours never really got over it. Tough pill to swallow

Really disappointing after the win on Tuesday. The defence was shocking today, I’m unconvinced that Crowther’s anywhere near as good as Kensdale, Gubbins has been poor more often than not, and even the usually reliable Taylor had a mare. When did we last concede 3 at home? Defence has been our strength, if we lose that then I’m worried as we don’t score anywhere near enough to compensate.

As others have said, Collin’s kicking and distribution is becoming a real problem. He’d improved this area hugely last season but seems to have regressed. Maybe he’s missing Dave Martin’s influence, but it needs to improve quickly or we should be looking at alternatives IMO.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Moncur should have been subbed for KAF rather than Morton. We lost our shape after the sub with all 3 midfielders pushing up at once, one needed to sit. Moncur had little influence in the second half and I thought we should have focused on getting more energy on to the pitch.

Hopefully we can bounce back on Tuesday, I don’t want to be overly negative as we did play some good football at times and created chances. We do however need to stamp out those defensive errors quickly, and get back to being hard to beat. It felt like we beat ourselves today.

Back