• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

1-0 up and seemingly in control when a mix up (these things can happen) led to them equalising out of the blue just before the break.

Need to see the replay to be sure but what was at best a lack of concentration, or, at worst, unforgivable casualness led to gifting them a second goal early in the second half.

After that we were always chasing the game and never looked likely,

KAP caught the eye with a wholehearted effort after he came on. I think we might have a player there.

After we conceded the second goal there seemed to me to be much more urgency about Collin's clearing kicks/distribution. Long may it continue.

We should not be losing at home. It is a long season and bad things can and will happen. Hopefully this was one of those games, and, in hindsight, today will be seen as a wake up call.

P***ed off in Perth but no doubt will get over it.

UTB

Weird game. We bossed the first half without really getting out of second gear. Fantastic take by GSM, likely adding another £50k to his current value

Thought we moved the ball well, but should have taken one of those umpteen chances. Of course, when you don’t take your chances, we know what can happen. What we absolutely do not need was a horrendous mistake from ourselves to gift them a chance.

Second half, Sutton started brighter but we still looked comfortable. Need to see it back, but at the time I felt we were the masters of our own downfall once again. Colin - love the guy - but he’s ****ing me off. Every single game, it’s a miss-kick, a sideways pass, a sliced clearance.

We still had chances to get back into it & Bonne alone will look back on the chances he had and wonder what happened.

Third goal, on the counter attack, game over.

Oh, and not sure who Sutton’s first scorer was. Quite an odd character. The personification of a keyboard warrior. Don’t remember his name. I wonder if his parents know it? Anyway, we’ll probably never hear from him again, so It’s understandable why he got excited during his 12 seconds of fame.

Ref was a card nonce.

What an amazing contrast from Tuesday to today, brilliant to absolutely shocking. As soon as we gifted them the first goal we completely fell apart and looked so poor.

When are we going to address Colin's appalling decision making? I like the guy and his shot stopping is excellent but doesn't anyone train him on distribution or is it down to this ridiculous style of playing out from the back which we are hopeless at?

Keep playing like that and we will all be discussing relegation. Hopefully just a very very poor day at the office and we move on. 💙
Asked this last week...although have to say his kicks out in Tuesday's second half were more deft than previous bombs sailing into touch or down the oppo keeper's throat.
He does need to work on that aspect though.

Nope. Got his subs wrong?
I don’t think he did, as I said earlier he took Morton off when 2-1 down and left Bridge, Husin and Moncur on … the reason being is although I agree the 3 were awful today they are more likely to pop up with a bit of quality to get us back into the game

I don’t think he did, as I said earlier he took Morton off when 2-1 down and left Bridge, Husin and Moncur on … the reason being is although I agree the 3 were awful today they are more likely to pop up with a bit of quality to get us back into the game

I get what you’re saying but Husin was particularly poor, I actually think he could have put KAF in that position keeping Morton to pull strings. End of the day we’ve caused our own downfall.

Reality check after the euphoria on Tuesday. We had no answer to Sutton's aggressive man for man marking whereas Eastleigh let us play our passing game. Some awful individual errors as well. Crowther and Gubbins seem to have communication problems and Collin's distribution is terrible.

Disastrous performance today at the back, whoever came up with the “play out from the back” strategy should be shot as national league teams don’t have the skill. Sutton beat us because they play football suited to national league standard, whereas we tried to pretend we’re something we’re not. Our players are better man for man, but if they can score 2 goals just by putting pressure on our donkeys at the back, then why do they need more skilled players?

Didn’t think the ref was all that bad, he let the play flow as much as he could and blew up for clear fouls. Lost control a little in the second half and allowed to be conned a bit, but on the whole, we can’t blame him for todays loss.

We lacked leadership a lot of the time on the pitch and there were moments, especially in the second half, where we stood around like statues in the attacking third not really knowing where to play the ball and who wanted it.

Pepple did ok, but should have scored his chances . GSM was class, but what influence can he have as a right back, we need more from the players in influential positions. Moncur seems like a bit of a luxury player and drifts in and out of the game, clearly possesses a lot of skill.

We lacked leadership all over the pitch in my opinion and while it’s not “Maher Out” time, I do worry that we may keep him way beyond his expiry on account of the loyalty he showed us, and maybe rightly so… I’m on the fence; as his win ratio is not setting the world alight at 40%, but it’s not terrible either compared to a number of his predecessors who have had more resources to work with. He does need to show more dimensions to his tactics though and learn how to win ugly and dirty.

Back