• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Maher's got to hold his hands up here (if he can take his hands out of his pockets for long enough)

No game management. Taking Gubbins off was a massive mistake.

As much as this is a new era, we are pinning our hopes on George Moncur who, as soon as you saw how hot it was today, you knew he wouldn't contribute much. Feels like a Ron Martin signing the more I see him play.

That Bonne miss. Jesus. A cushioned pass into the hands of Arnold. Awful.

When did Noor last have a good game?

Gsm. Top scorer. Should probably keep his mouth shut a bit more. You don't have to moan at every decision.

I said it last week, Collin isn't ready to be a number one.

More than this, I found myself looking over at Maher in the 2nd half. Either hands in his pockets or arms crossed. Hardly inspiring. He looks beaten.

I understand you can't win every game, but I'm not having getting beaten by teams like that after going in front.

This league is wide open this season and we are looking terrible. Similar vibe to the daggers game where I feel that equaliser papered over the cracks.

Bless Pebble. Works his socks off but is not the answer here when the requirement is being up top on your own.

Maher's on the radio now saying we should have been full of beans. Perhaps he should take his own advice and take his hands out of his pockets and start changing his style on the sideline.

We aren't under an embargo any more. I'm not seeing players improve. And that is a worry.

Who else do you suggest he puts on?
The problem was less who he put on and more who he took off.

What an amazing contrast from Tuesday to today, brilliant to absolutely shocking. As soon as we gifted them the first goal we completely fell apart and looked so poor.

When are we going to address Colin's appalling decision making? I like the guy and his shot stopping is excellent but doesn't anyone train him on distribution or is it down to this ridiculous style of playing out from the back which we are hopeless at?

Keep playing like that and we will all be discussing relegation. Hopefully just a very very poor day at the office and we move on. 💙

The issue with Collin is that we’re not giving him options. Too often we’re playing passes to somebody who has no option but to play it back to Collin who has to boot it long. We need to be better at beating the press. This is where we miss Kensdale but we also need to be better at creating angles and not continually cutting back (Noor I’m looking at you). KAF looks promising in this regard. He constantly took the ball on the half turn and looked for add rather than turning back to goal.

Oh, and not sure who Sutton’s first scorer was. Quite an odd character. The personification of a keyboard warrior. Don’t remember his name. I wonder if his parents know it? Anyway, we’ll probably never hear from him again, so It’s understandable why he got excited during his 12 seconds of fame.

Ref was a card nonce.
He doesn’t know his father so unlikely

Disastrous performance today at the back, whoever came up with the “play out from the back” strategy should be shot as national league teams don’t have the skill. Sutton beat us because they play football suited to national league standard, whereas we tried to pretend we’re something we’re not. Our players are better man for man, but if they can score 2 goals just by putting pressure on our donkeys at the back, then why do they need more skilled players?

Didn’t think the ref was all that bad, he let the play flow as much as he could and blew up for clear fouls. Lost control a little in the second half and allowed to be conned a bit, but on the whole, we can’t blame him for todays loss.

We lacked leadership a lot of the time on the pitch and there were moments, especially in the second half, where we stood around like statues in the attacking third not really knowing where to play the ball and who wanted it.

Pepple did ok, but should have scored his chances . GSM was class, but what influence can he have as a right back, we need more from the players in influential positions. Moncur seems like a bit of a luxury player and drifts in and out of the game, clearly possesses a lot of skill.

We lacked leadership all over the pitch in my opinion and while it’s not “Maher Out” time, I do worry that we may keep him way beyond his expiry on account of the loyalty he showed us, and maybe rightly so… I’m on the fence; as his win ratio is not setting the world alight at 40%, but it’s not terrible either compared to a number of his predecessors who have had more resources to work with. He does need to show more dimensions to his tactics though and learn how to win ugly and dirty.
We're you at the game and are ypu actually a Southend Supporter?
To start talking about getting rid of Kev....you should be working for Trump and the Ref was OK....he was shocking!!

T’was more than that. Bonne, Pepple & KAF all had shots saved.

Bonne had a backpass saved.

Disastrous performance today at the back, whoever came up with the “play out from the back” strategy should be shot as national league teams don’t have the skill. Sutton beat us because they play football suited to national league standard, whereas we tried to pretend we’re something we’re not. Our players are better man for man, but if they can score 2 goals just by putting pressure on our donkeys at the back, then why do they need more skilled players?

Didn’t think the ref was all that bad, he let the play flow as much as he could and blew up for clear fouls. Lost control a little in the second half and allowed to be conned a bit, but on the whole, we can’t blame him for todays loss.

We lacked leadership a lot of the time on the pitch and there were moments, especially in the second half, where we stood around like statues in the attacking third not really knowing where to play the ball and who wanted it.

Pepple did ok, but should have scored his chances . GSM was class, but what influence can he have as a right back, we need more from the players in influential positions. Moncur seems like a bit of a luxury player and drifts in and out of the game, clearly possesses a lot of skill.

We lacked leadership all over the pitch in my opinion and while it’s not “Maher Out” time, I do worry that we may keep him way beyond his expiry on account of the loyalty he showed us, and maybe rightly so… I’m on the fence; as his win ratio is not setting the world alight at 40%, but it’s not terrible either compared to a number of his predecessors who have had more resources to work with. He does need to show more dimensions to his tactics though and learn how to win ugly and dirty.
Most of the NL play the way we do - just not as successfully. Borehamwood were one of the few to play the way Sutton play and they were relegated.

As for Maher he’s lost the spine of our team. It’ll take time to rebuild that.

I thought we were by far the better side in the first half! We looked very comfortable and was impressed with the teams shape and possession. Sutton pressed high and are very physical which we handled well. This was up to the gift of a goal we conceded.

Second half was a disaster! Colin's distribution has been a massive concern this season and he was at fault for the second goal We then chased the game, subs didn't work, lost our shape and apart from Bone's effort at the end, never looked like scoring.

Ref was a complete bell end!

Sutton's players celebration after the first goal was a disgrace.

We're you at the game and are ypu actually a Southend Supporter?
To start talking about getting rid of Kev....you should be working for Trump and the Ref was OK....he was shocking!!
Clearly you weren’t…. The ref let a lot of challenges go on both sides, as I said, maybe lost it in the second half…. But point being that we didn’t lose the game on account of the ref, or would you disagree??

Kevs tactics when the chips are down are a concern. The player calibre is improving, the results aren’t.

A few comments about us not having a plan B.
Wasn't our plan B making an attacking change by bringing on Appiah-Forson and Bonne for Gubbins and Morton?
Yes, we got caught on the counter attack, but it happens from time to time. We just need to suck it up and move on.

Plan C. Would have been to go more direct.....and then watch the Sutton defenders clearing their lines with ease?

In terms of how we play, we have an identity now and as supporters we should be proud of that and relish seeing our players trying to play the intricate, attractive football that Kev drills into them all week on the training ground.

You don't see Man City or Liverpool playing any differently when on the rare occasion they're chasing a game. It's about patience and maintaining the believe that by continuing to play the style of football that you're accustomed to will eventually get you back into the game.
Today, it didnt quite happen, but I saw more than enough to make me believe we'll be in the top 7 come the end of the season.

We have some decent attacking options in midfield now with both Moncur and Appiah-Forson having the ability to carry the ball forward at pace forcing the opposition onto the back foot. That's what we've been crying out for and that's what we've now got.

Of course, there's still a bit of work for Kev to do on the training ground. There's some new partnerships that need a bit more time to gel. I'm sure we'll see a couple more come in to strengthen the squad which will make us a real force.

Let's keep backing these players as I'm sure that over the course of 46 games, they will ultimately reward us.

Of course there is a massive over reaction to what got us is a regulation home defeat to a physical aggressive hard running team that don’t play any creative football but harried us into making mistakes - yeh a lot like Bromley and Boreham Wood. Added to that a weak hopeless ref who seemed to have no affinity with game and was happy to wield cards for technicalities like nudging the ball away and a bit of dissent but not for the rugby tackles . All the extremely blatant time wasting after they got in front he just turned his back on. And then we have the endless anti football stoppages for a never ending stream of second half substitutions and goal scoring celebrations. He could have easily added 12 minutes on in the second half.

Why poor young Collin is getting all the stick again I don’ t know - they were all giving the ball away. The first three goals in the game were from stupid mistakes.

When Sutton got the ball they were stronger and quicker but hardly passed a ball to a team mate all game. We are a bit light weight and have no one to mix it up and give back what we get.

Three games in 8 days was probably a bit too much for one or two of them today.

Don’t forget you only have to finish 7th as the inform team to get promoted.

Clearly you weren’t…. The ref let a lot of challenges go on both sides, as I said, maybe lost it in the second half…. But point being that we didn’t lose the game on account of the ref, or would you disagree??

Kevs tactics when the chips are down are a concern. The player calibre is improving, the results aren’t.
I was there - he was shocking!!!
If we get rid of Kev who you gonna bring in.....I have some names, Kevin Bond, Phil Brown, Sol Campbell all far superior Managers to Kev!!!

Well it almost defies belief that the same team can play so poorly after the impressive performance on Tuesday night.

Very difficult to think of one player who played well with so many defensive errors and I am now a bit concerned with Colin who’s kicking is far too erratic.

Unfortunate to have two forwards injured and with Harry moving on that leaves us with two who have not played much lately although I was impressed with Pepples work rate and bravery.

Of course there is a massive over reaction to what got us is a regulation home defeat to a physical aggressive hard running team that don’t play any creative football but harried us into making mistakes - yeh a lot like Bromley and Boreham Wood. Added to that a weak hopeless ref who seemed to have no affinity with game and was happy to wield cards for technicalities like nudging the ball away and a bit of dissent but not for the rugby tackles . All the extremely blatant time wasting after they got in front he just turned his back on. And then we have the endless anti football stoppages for a never ending stream of second half substitutions and goal scoring celebrations. He could have easily added 12 minutes on in the second half.

Why poor young Collin is getting all the stick again I don’ t know - they were all giving the ball away. The first three goals in the game were from stupid mistakes.

When Sutton got the ball they were stronger and quicker but hardly passed a ball to a team mate all game. We are a bit light weight and have no one to mix it up and give back what we get.

Three games in 8 days was probably a bit too much for one or two of them today.

Don’t forget you only have to finish 7th as the inform team to get promoted.
At last a voice of sense! We are in a 2-3 year re-
build programme

At last a voice if sense! We are in a 2-3 year r-build programme
Im sorry I'm surprised if many people accept we are in a "building phase" we have lost two (yes key) players. We should have enough in the building to replace them. Last year we would have wiped the floor with Sutton. Comfortably. So far apart from maybe 1/2 games we have been unacceptable with supposedly a stronger team

Something is wrong how many times this season have we been leading and failed to win the game not good enough
Because we are not very good ? Have we ever tried to look at the cold hard facts ??? The arrogance on our fans today ‘**** the national league’ and singing about the ref losing us the game … lol I can think of about 10-20 reasons why we lost today and it ain’t the league or the ref

Back