• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

I don't usually get to post in here being an exile but here are my thoughts having been to my first match since Altrincham away last season:

Bit of an anti-climax after all the build-up and having started the game pretty well. We were hanging on towards the end of the first half and then that just continued into the second half. York played good football but lacked quality in the final third until they made the substitutions in the final third. John-Lewis gave them more of a presence up front and their number 19 (Chadwick I think) looked a decent player too. They do lack height though, as someone else mentioned, so might struggle against the more physical teams in the league.

No one really stood out or played particularly badly. Thought some of Collin's kicking was very good particularly given the wind. There were a number of times when Cardwell knocked it down in the air as he was up against a fairly short centre-back, but then no one capitalised on it. He and Walker definitely have the potential to become a useful partnership over time. Miley made some good challenges in the middle but other than that, York won the midfield. The subs were a bit confusing - bringing on a midfielder for a defender and then a striker for a midfielder, then a defender for a striker...

We definitely need a couple more bodies. An attacking/creative midfielder for one, and I also think we could do with a more experienced player in there as we have quite a young side. A Gary Deegan type.

Anyway, was nice to be back at a busy Roots Hall and be focusing on football. Still haven't seen us win since Boxing Day 2015 but at least we didn't lose :Blush:

Seem to be struggling to sign players better than what we have. Did we really need another right wing back to sit on the bench? Need at least 3 attacking players, 2 to start and one on the bench.
I agree with you.
Their mid field were what we need.
No point in playing 3 across the park.
York had three in front of each other. Inter passing in triangles.
They were 30/40 yards up field before we got near them.
Their diagonal passing was to wingers who kept Taylor and Ralph with to much to do.

Having listened to Kev's post match interview yesterday, his comment about being a couple of weeks behind where he'd like us to be was (in his mind) more to do with the lack of bodies than anything fitness related. Kev declared himself happy with our fitness levels. Crowther and Waldron ( both carrying knocks) clearly wouldn't normally have been on the bench if he had the luxury of 3/4 extra bodies.

I have to disagree and thought we looked generally knackered after 60 minutes and were completely overrun in midfield. York looked fitter and quicker than us right across the pitch.

Whilst now understanding why Waldron wasn't bought on earlier, I did find it frustrating that Jack Wood was only given a few minutes on the pitch, especially as Bridge had been so ineffective and the fact that we were running ln empty. Clearly Kev doesn't rate Wood enough to make a difference so I can only assume he will be out on loan as soon as we have made 3/4 further signings.

York looked very well drilled with a clear game plan. The long diagonal in the first half almost saw us caught out on 3/4 occasions. They always looked to get bodies forward and attacked well as a team. The exact opposite to us.

Hopefully we can see some different patterns of play once we have some more pace and creativity in midfield as currently we look very one dimensional and one paced

As Kev has said a few times, we are a bit behind everyone else in terms of prep and it showed massively yesterday.

Started reasonably ok, although I didn’t think Bridge in a more central position really worked. We lost that crossing threat from the wide left as Ralph just hasn’t got the legs to be a left sided Gus. When we got the goal I was hoping we would press on from there. As we all saw, we didn’t…

Second half we were dominated I thought and pretty much every person in the ground could see an equaliser (and a very deserved one) was coming. Despite Collins’s best efforts to keep us ahead. York dictated play and controlled the centre of the park and were cutting through us. We had no answer. Did we even trouble their GK second half?

We are lacking an enforcer and a magician in the middle of the park. Think an Alan McCormack and a Nicky Bailey/Jack Payne. Plus another striker. Until this is resolved, I think we will struggle to control games the way we want to.

York will be a top 7 side, zero question. We have some work to do to be at their level I think. But until we have a proper summer of no disruption, we can’t really judge fairly. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Great to be back, all felt very surreal having a carnival atmosphere pre-game. The stands were packed even the back row of the south upper where I sit. The pitch did not look good and the ball held up on passes which York utilised better in the forward channels. We started well full of energy and Gus got his headed goal as he always takes up good positions in the area. We then seemed to wilt in the heat and York deservedly equalised, it was coming all second half. They would probably have won if we played another 10 minutes. We are undercooked both in terms of fitness, finding the best starting line up. (Bridge, Gubbins, Morton) and squad size. York have 4 goalkeepers, their bench was so much better. They replaced all 3 forwards with 3 others who were equally adept, they had pace, trickery and power. Lenell John-Lewis predictably repeated his late goal coming on as sub as per last season.

Andeng-Ndi 7
Taylor 7
Kensdale 6.5
Gubbins 5.5
Scott-Morriss 7.5 MOTM
Coker 5
Miley 6
Bridge 5
Ralph 6.5
Walker 6.5
Cardwell 6

Morton 5
Waldron 5
Wood 4.5
Crowther 4.5

Overall a good point against a team who will be up there this year. The difference in the impact of the bench was huge for them. We never really got at their back line which is in their words their weakness, they will score a lot but also concede their fans have said. Gus edges Taylor for MOTM for me, always likely to pop up in the right area and good energy. A few were passengers for me, Bridge did not look right even when moved to his usual position. Too much tinkering with formation in the second half seemed to confuse also. Still it is the first competitive game of the new era and would have taken a point at the start. Kev needs an influx of players too improve the bench and I am sure we will be ok. UTB

I wanted us to attack the South first half. Fed up with seeing and hearing even average away followings being the 12th man in the second half. Far to many points are dropped inn the last 10 at RH but not many won. Tough one next week.

Agree with this. I suppose they attack the South Stand second half as we have more fans down that end. But when was the last time the South made any noise.

Not much to add to what has already been said, great to be back at the hall again with hope for a brighter future.

With regards to on the pitch, the thing I noticed particularly from the highlights was that our plan in defending corners does not include putting people on the posts. If we had done yesterday, York’s goal would probably not have gone in because the ball went in off the post. Clearly it’s a conscious decision to go man for man instead, shame that didn’t work either!

Anyway at least we didn’t lose to a decent York side who, to their credit, came to play positive attacking football.

Morton was an absolutely wrong purchase I believe now. Wes wasn't the answer but at least he wasn't the same as Miley. Coker and Noor who are in effect, the same type of player.

Until this is sorted we will not create chances, our only real outlet last year - the Wes/ Bridge combo is gone. We really need to find a way of either running at teams or finding a player or two who's ancestor wasn't an Italian tank and who's only gear is reverse
And if Miley had been injured we’d have been saying we need cover there. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having a Miley type player in Morton. The issue is we still need to sign a better attacking midfielder than Wes to give us a better balanced midfield.

We are being far too quick to forget that if we’d not still been under Ron’s control that we may well have had some of our first choices in by now.

As Kev has said a few times, we are a bit behind everyone else in terms of prep and it showed massively yesterday.

Started reasonably ok, although I didn’t think Bridge in a more central position really worked. We lost that crossing threat from the wide left as Ralph just hasn’t got the legs to be a left sided Gus. When we got the goal I was hoping we would press on from there. As we all saw, we didn’t…

Second half we were dominated I thought and pretty much every person in the ground could see an equaliser (and a very deserved one) was coming. Despite Collins’s best efforts to keep us ahead. York dictated play and controlled the centre of the park and were cutting through us. We had no answer. Did we even trouble their GK second half?

We are lacking an enforcer and a magician in the middle of the park. Think an Alan McCormack and a Nicky Bailey/Jack Payne. Plus another striker. Until this is resolved, I think we will struggle to control games the way we want to.

York will be a top 7 side, zero question. We have some work to do to be at their level I think. But until we have a proper summer of no disruption, we can’t really judge fairly. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
No, but Bridgey had a good a chance I recall which I thought was in from the other end of the West.

Lincoln Shrimp above says we were one dimensional and one paced. Spot on. We have lacked real pace in the side for far too long.
The expectations are very high now we are free of Ron. Heavy responsibility on the 3 Amigos. The next few weeks will be very interesting. Some tough-looking fixtures in there. Will we have the required bodies recruited to ease the way forward?

I agree that Bridge in CAM did not work (although a number of people on here called for it) but when he did move to a wider position I can’t recall him getting any change out of their defence anyway.

For me, yesterday was all about the occasion. Many thought we would not see this day, but we have. The result was almost irrelevant to me. I think people need to realise that COSU only properly took charge just over 3 weeks ago and all of or first targets have gone elsewhere.

I'm not concerned; the siege mentality we had last year isn't with us, but we have players within the budget who have generally come up from leagues below. It will all be ok in the end.

However, I don't think we'll start playing properly until mid September. You heard it here first.

Felt like a continuation of last season, still blunt in attack and punished on a set piece. Didn't play bad, didn't play great. Can't complain with the result as both teams deserved something out of it.

I agree that Bridge in CAM did not work (although a number of people on here called for it) but when he did move to a wider position I can’t recall him getting any change out of their defence anyway.
I was one of them and happy to admit I was wrong, it didn't work but as you say when nothing improved when he went out wide so maybe just wasn't his day

Looked like a 3-5-2 today

Collin - 7 One dodgy throw out, but made two great saves at the end

Taylor - 7 Solid
Kensdale 6 OK. Put in some good tackles
Gubbins 5 Got ripped to shreds by Chadwick. Seemed to be hobbling. Was he fit ? (taken off 10 mins into 2nd half)

Gus - 6 Ok. Up and down, Took his goal well
Miley 6 - Ok
Coker 6 - looked a bit lost as a CAM
Bridge 6 - as above
Ralph 6 Ok at LWB, but better as a LB IMO. Dropped back to cover for Gubbins at the end of the 1st half as he was getting roasted

Walker 7 Quite lively
Cardwell 7 Usual battling self

Subs
Morton 6 Ok
Waldron 6 Didn't have much to do
Wood 6 Hardly touched the ball

Early days of course, I was worried early doors with Gubbins and his ability to close a player down. He gave Chadwick all the time in the world early on to get a dangerous cross in without cutting his angle down or putting him under any pressure. Hope he's got it in his locker to improve and be a regular starter, but he's going to have to step up his game.

Seem to be struggling to sign players better than what we have. Did we really need another right wing back to sit on the bench? Need at least 3 attacking players, 2 to start and one on the bench.

We absolutely needed to sign a back-up right wing-back. It was one of the holes we had in our squad. We weren’t choosing between a back-up RWB and a starting central midfielder and just because it wasn’t our top priority doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have addressed it. We had an opportunity to sign an ascending player to help build up our squad. Whilst Wind might not be our first choice this season he may very well be next season. We need to be taking a longer term view on such things.

We definitely need a couple more bodies. An attacking/creative midfielder for one, and I also think we could do with a more experienced player in there as we have quite a young side. A Gary Deegan type.
Miley is our Deegan type.

I’m also not sure we are a young side. This is a squad that was largely recruited 2-3 years ago and if anything probably needs an injection of youthful exuberance more than it needs a dose of experience.

If you look at our 14 outfield players from who Maher is effectively picking the starting XI from, 9 will be 27 or older this year. Only four of those players are under 25 with Coker the only one under 23.

Gus 27
Bridge 29 next month
Ralph 31
Taylor 27
Kensdale 24
Gubbins 23
Miley 29
Coker 21
Cardwell 28 in October
Walker 27 in December

With Husin (27) to return
Waldron 28
Morton 25
Crowther 23

Maybe Wood and/or Wind can work themselves into the conversation as well. I wouldn’t be expecting much from Beau or Faulkner this year.

Back