• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

Players needed, management know, relax it's a long season. There no.8 is exactly the type of player we MUST sign, mobile attack minded, quick passes. And also the lad Sinclair....we lack pace, desperately so.

21 for York violent conduct on Collin post goal? How was that missed by the officials

Not that it would affect the outcome as we were fortunate to get a point in the end
Yeah just said the same on D1Versitys vid thread - naughty

Odd game. We largely dispensed with the tippy-tappy from defence, fortunately, I would suggest intentional anticipating the press by York players and their pace. Instead we had Collin lumping it up long, bypassing a midfield that it seems the management don't believe will create, and hoping our strikers will get on to the ball. Think again.

Gubbins, a good player, had what I can only describe as a 'Crowther'. I'm sure most of you will understand that one. I am sure Gubbins will sort it.
Walker looked to have good feet but for me had to fight for scraps, be too deep and try to take on one too many defenders. More will come.
I think Collin, one error aside, continues to impress and long may that continue. Taylor was the pick of the players and he was a great acquisition.
As for the rest, well, for players that knew each other so well it certainly didn't show. Somehow we need to galvanise the troops and replace last seasons Dunkirk spirit with a D-Day landings mentality. Up and at them, no quarter given and no surrender. Yesterday we looked unconvincing, we lacked spirit and were a yard or more off the pace of the game.

York came to do a job, did it very well and if not for their profligate strikers we could have easily lost. Probably should of.

Still, one game does not make a season but, we can use it as a benchmark to see how we progress.

One thing I will add about York though, is I think they will concede a lot of goals if they don't sort themselves out at the back. We nearly got on a couple of their passing arounds.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen at a football match. If not ever
That remains for me, about 6 or 7 years ago when the bloke two rows in front of us in the West, in a sparse crowd, got up during a lull to go to the loo/food bar, and his shorts just fell down. Never saw him again after that match!

The lad Mancini last season for Hartlepool that's the type of player we need. With 5 at the back you can afford to have that maverick attacking midfielder roaming and probing.
He was very good that game but got injured, out for months, back for 60 minutes, injured and played little since, don't believe he played yesterday but maybe he has moved on?
I can only guess he was/is at T'pool becuse of injuries, he has the skill.

One thing I will add about York though, is I think they will concede a lot of goals if they don't sort themselves out at the back. We nearly got on a couple of their passing arounds.
Yes, when Cards charged down the GK and the ball came off him and went wide was a real let off for them.
Collin threw the ball out in a similar "silly" moment too which nearly cost us.

He was very good that game but got injured, out for months, back for 60 minutes, injured and played little since, don't believe he played yesterday but maybe he has moved on?
I can only guess he was/is at T'pool becuse of injuries, he has the skill.
Pretty sure he signed a new deal this summer.

Edit:

Came on as a sub yesterday 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_4861.png
    IMG_4861.png
    658.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I wanted us to attack the South first half. Fed up with seeing and hearing even average away followings being the 12th man in the second half. Far too many points are dropped inn the last 10 at RH but not many won. Tough one next week.
Do we really drop that many points in the last 10 minutes at home? It’s not something I think happened much last year. I’d be surprised if we dropped more than 3.

Great to be back at Hall yesterday and it was rather emotional for all. How grateful we should all be that we can actually write a post match summary. We were so close to that not being a reality.

I thought we looked exactly were we should be with all circumstances considered, a few weeks behind. We used all of our energy in the opening 30 minutes and then York took advantage.

The importance of a squad was so apparent yesterday. York had one and we didn't. They brought on players that changed the game. We don't have that depth yet.

I sincerely hope that the calls for Bridge to play CAM is a thing of the past. I said earlier in the week that we shouldn't disrupt the left hand side as it's our biggest asset and Kev surprisingly changed it. He has to go back to LWB next week.

Thought we really missed Husin yesterday in midfield. We just can't seem to retain the ball. I still think two additions are needed in midfield, not just one.

Overall, we have to be happy with a point, against a side that should be challenging for the top 7 this year.

That remains for me, about 6 or 7 years ago when the bloke two rows in front of us in the West, in a sparse crowd, got up during a lull to go to the loo/food bar, and his shorts just fell down. Never saw him again after that match!

@OldBlueLady Would you recognise his smile? :Moon:

I bet it was 'all done in the best possible taste!' :Hilarious:

Last edited:
From the announcement of the line up I had a feeling it wouldn’t be the easiest of zafternoon. Squeezing Gubbins into the team and pushing Bridge into the centre of the park was baffling. How many times has Kev tried Bridge in the centre now and every time it doesn’t work!

Gubbins looked completely lost and out of place, he is not the left sided of a three, he was playing as if he was in a two at centre back. As others have said a performance he will want to forget! I think he would be more suited in the role that Kensdale plays. We always look more assured with Ralph in the left side of the 3.

Cav I thought was excellent in the first half, it was the Cav of old. He was everywhere and getting stuck in where others weren’t.

Taylor had a decent game.

Cardwell and Walker did their best but just weren’t getting the service. They are a fast front line and will do well as a partnership provided they get service.

York will be up there, not a bad side they have a lot of depth in their squad so many options available. Didn’t think much of Pearce who we were after but maybe it’s first game nerves for him. Expect with his positioning and the excellent Felix he will get goals.

It was great to be back, the stadium is already 100% better than 12 months ago. They haven’t had much time to get stuff sorted but what they’ve done in the short period is much appreciated. I assume as the season goes on we will see the improvements and tarting up of the old girl!

Will be interesting to see if we can stay around the 7000 mark for our next load of games or if there was a large amount of day trippers.

Lots of work to do on and off the pitch but in Kev and COSU we trust. Don’t see why wouldn’t be in the play offs with a couple more signings.
Without stating the obvious you will always be better with left and right centre backs in a three that can play full back as inevitably you will be pulled into wider defencive positions. However Ralph is particularly good at that and exceptional at our level. I’m sure I’m wrong but it almost feels that in order to play Gubbins both Ralph and Bridge ended up playing “out of position”- or at least their best positions… I’m sure it will all get sorted

Do we really drop that many points in the last 10 minutes at home? It’s not something I think happened much last year. I’d be surprised if we dropped more than 3.

We lost to York earlier this year to a very late winner. Last game of the season v Rochdale was injury time. Hartlepool last August. Fylde and Gateshead won with second half goals but can't remember how late. Barnet scored late although it was their second but sealed the win for them. I remember Cheek scoring at the Northbank end.......Knocked out of the cup with late goals.......Thats 8 lost and can't even remember that much about the dull draws we had.

Back