• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

Looked like a 3-5-2 today

Collin - 7 One dodgy throw out, but made two great saves at the end

Taylor - 7 Solid
Kensdale 6 OK. Put in some good tackles
Gubbins 5 Got ripped to shreds by Chadwick. Seemed to be hobbling. Was he fit ? (taken off 10 mins into 2nd half)

Gus - 6 Ok. Up and down, Took his goal well
Miley 6 - Ok
Coker 6 - looked a bit lost as a CAM
Bridge 6 - as above
Ralph 6 Ok at LWB, but better as a LB IMO

Walker 7 Quiet lively
Cardwell 7 Usual battling self

Subs
Morton 6 Ok
Waldron 6 Didn't have much to do
Wood 6 Hardly touched the ball
At last , a proper honest report!

Would have taken a point when I saw the line-up and was relieved to escape with one.

Had we not taken the lead from the set piece think we may even have been booed off at half-time.

Bridge plays best at LWB and it was frustrating to see him played centrally again. It never seems to work.

The team looked unbalanced and a little undercooked but it’s a long season and I think we’ll eventually find the right balance although we clearly miss Fonguck’s ability to link midfield and attack and to put his foot on the ball.

York worked their triangles and we couldn’t seem to press them effectively. They seem a well coached team going forward if not in defence. They looked a little undersized which I think contributed to our goal from a set piece. Disappointing therefore to concede from one.

I expected it to take an hour for Maher to bring on Morton for a defender: he actually made the change inside 55 minutes so obviously was it not working. York made changes at the same time and I’m curious as to whether Maher would have made the same changes had he known what York would do. Was surprised to see Waldron come on for Coker - Walker didn’t deserve to be subbed but that wasn’t an obvious change although they obviously wanted to stop them playing out from the back but that’s not a formation we’ve practiced. Maybe Wood would have made more sense but Walker didn’t last much longer. Think he’ll need a goal soon to get confidence. Equally was surprised to see York take off their 19: he was their main threat with his movement.

Didn’t envy whoever had to pick man of the match. Maybe Cav for his defensive work but Taylor didn’t do much wrong at the back so that wasn’t as rogue a choice as usual.

Hartlepool under Sarll will pose a different challenge Saturday. The NL haven’t done us any favours with this start but if we can scrap through until we find out best XI we can then go on a winning run like in 2005-06 (Oldham, Yeovil and Hartlepool were all with us in L1 that season; so were last season’s champs Chesterfield and NLN Scunthorpe).

Keep the faith and UTB

I hope that the new regime will ditch friendliest against wakering and Canvey , and give us sterner tests against league teams . Whilst I understand the local sentiment , it really doesn’t test us enough .

The game against gills told us nearer where we need to be.

The game itself showed that York are fitter and have a larger squad , but not really much else.

If I were Hartlepool’s manager I would leave the game till the last ten minutes and throw any pace they may have on their bench at us , because we don’t look like we can last 90 mins.

As an aside I think we miss Callum Powell , not for his finishing obviously , but his press puts opponents on the back foot , I don’t see any of our other forwards with the pace and energy to levels to keep that press going

Bizarre substitutions from KM.

We went from secure but ineffective with Gubbins on to insecure and ineffective with him off as Bridge had a poor game and corrected it too late by replacing him with Croker. Why take off Coker and bring on Waldron and move Walker to midfield and then take off Walker for Wood shortly afterwards?

Think I’ll stick to Football Manager on my PC!!

I think the idea was to try and stop them playing out from the back. The bigger issue for me was our inability to play out from the back. We’d play a couple of passes around the back but then boot it long.

If it’s lack of pre season preparation we’re bemoaning then why try a totally new tactic come KO (Bridge in a more central role) .. that’s surely something you try before competitive games start. Small moan though and maybe Bridgey had nailed it in training.
Tbf Maher tried it at Bishop’s Stortford. It didn’t work against an Isthmian League side though so not sure why he thought it would work against a top half NL side.

I've not yet looked at any of the comments on here, so that my general views won't be influenced by anyone. In the end, for me, it was more a point gained, rather than two lost. For the first thirty minutes we controlled the game well and got the all important first goal. Yet there were glimpses of York's attacking that made me think it was a good thing to have met them at the start of the season. Towards the end of the half York started to get more into the game and I didn't see this as an omen for the second period.
Apart from the obvious stress of the take-over saga, I'd forgotten what match day stress could be like!......it didn't take long into the second-half to remind me. We didn't show up in the second forty five minutes and it was squeeky bum time virtually from the off. We couldn't wrest possession from York and when we did, we couldn't keep it.........we were terrible. It wasn't so much a question as to whether they would equalise, but when. Hovever, I think you have to give York and their manager a lot of credit for this turn around. They completely took the initiative and a draw was the very least they deserved. I was annoyed that I didn't have the courage of my convictions and changed my 1-1 forecast in the Prediction League because of the sheer weight of numbers believing that we were going to win! As it's the first game of a very long season I'm not going to be over critical or move into panic mode, yet there was something that worried me a lot.
There's been much talk on the transfer thread about the size of our squad. and there are arguments about the benefits of a small and tightly knit squad. This may totally miss the point. Hinshelwood may or may not have a larger squad than us but what he certainly did have were players to bring on who could change the game and that he had in spades and used them with a ruthless efficacity. Given a bit of time to bond together he will have a formidable side. None of our substitutions had anywhere the same effect. So, I'm not calling out for tons of signings just for one or two who are capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck and help us grasp the initiative back.

Colin 6
Gus 6 (the goal gets him an extra point)
Taylor 6
Kensdale 6
Gibbo 6
Ralph 6
Cav 6
Coker 6
Bridge 5
Cards 5
Walker 6

Morton 6
Crowther 5
Waldren 5
Wood 5

Nothing spectacular from anyone yet nothing to worry about really.

First game of the season, some positives and some negatives 🤷🏻‍♂️ our playing out from the back nearly cost us at times

We’ve been showing play off form but not champions form for about a season and a half. The squad is deeper but the new signings since last Xmas look no better than we had so unsurprisingly we still look like a team that might make the play offs but aren’t going to be challenging at the very top. Some patience is going to be required though it’s unlikely from the reaction to one game. York were a good team.

Would have taken a point when I saw the line-up and was relieved to escape with one.

Had we not taken the lead from the set piece think we may even have been booed off at half-time.

Bridge plays best at LWB and it was frustrating to see him played centrally again. It never seems to work.

The team looked unbalanced and a little undercooked but it’s a long season and I think we’ll eventually find the right balance although we clearly miss Fonguck’s ability to link midfield and attack and to put his foot on the ball.

York worked their triangles and we couldn’t seem to press them effectively. They seem a well coached team going forward if not in defence. They looked a little undersized which I think contributed to our goal from a set piece. Disappointing therefore to concede from one.

I expected it to take an hour for Maher to bring on Morton for a defender: he actually made the change inside 55 minutes so obviously was it not working. York made changes at the same time and I’m curious as to whether Maher would have made the same changes had he known what York would do. Was surprised to see Waldron come on for Coker - Walker didn’t deserve to be subbed but that wasn’t an obvious change although they obviously wanted to stop them playing out from the back but that’s not a formation we’ve practiced. Maybe Wood would have made more sense but Walker didn’t last much longer. Think he’ll need a goal soon to get confidence. Equally was surprised to see York take off their 19: he was their main threat with his movement.

Didn’t envy whoever had to pick man of the match. Maybe Cav for his defensive work but Taylor didn’t do much wrong at the back so that wasn’t as rogue a choice as usual.

Hartlepool under Sarll will pose a different challenge Saturday. The NL haven’t done us any favours with this start but if we can scrap through until we find out best XI we can then go on a winning run like in 2005-06 (Oldham, Yeovil and Hartlepool were all with us in L1 that season; so were last season’s champs Chesterfield and NLN Scunthorpe).

Keep the faith and UTB

I think the idea was to try and stop them playing out from the back. The bigger issue for me was our inability to play out from the back. We’d play a couple of passes around the back but then boot it long.

Tbf Maher tried it at Bishop’s Stortford. It didn’t work against an Isthmian League side though so not sure why he thought it would work against a top half NL

We’ve been showing play off form but not champions form for about a season and a half. The squad is deeper but the new signings since last Xmas look no better than we had so unsurprisingly we still look like a team that might make the play offs but aren’t going to be challenging at the very top. Some patience is going to be required though it’s unlikely from the reaction to one game. York were a good team.
Errr, players are good enough, management method is very mediocre

Morton was an absolutely wrong purchase I believe now. Wes wasn't the answer but at least he wasn't the same as Miley. Coker and Noor who are in effect, the same type of player.

Until this is sorted we will not create chances, our only real outlet last year - the Wes/ Bridge combo is gone. We really need to find a way of either running at teams or finding a player or two who's ancestor wasn't an Italian tank and who's only gear is reverse

Today’s was a fair result . We were very good for the first 30 but York grew into the game and have variety/options from the bench to change games we don’t. We have more of the same. We moved the chairs around without threatening a different outcome.

However, let’s see what happens over the next week or two. I suspect some positive changes- certainly hope so.

Im keeping the faith in the amigos, but have to say i did like the fact that york seemed set out to attack and go for goals. Yes they'll probably lose quite a few but i can see them tonking a few teams and having some fun.

We'll see by the end of the season.

Will be interesting to see how cosu handle it as well, im not saying go for broke but i can see them getting the bug and maybe seeing some quality players they want to buy....

Back