• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

I dont know how many if any of you listen to the Luke Walsh podcast ,young Luke picked us to finish top 2, but it was something his co conspirator said that intrigued me, they talked about how well we did last season, but the other man said, yes as we played with an attitude of us against the world , he said can those players play with that attitude this season as we now have new owners and its a different scenario also it seemed that we were relying on mostly those same players as we havent set the world on fire when it comes to bringing in new players .

Hard not to be disappointed with today. The signs have been there all pre-season and I do feel we’ve had time to rectify it. I can’t keep hearing the “we’re weeks behind other teams”. Definitely true of last year, but not enjoying hearing the same excuses this year.

Signing two players (plus a keeper on non-contract!) is pretty poor and left us severely lacking today, given we’ve lost a few players too. I am a bit worried about how quickly we’ll be able to solve this, as I think it’s deeper than personnel… our style of play has looked similar to last year with no positive change.

Hopefully I’m wrong, or I’m right, but we move quickly to sort these areas, otherwise I fear we will be weeks behind other teams, in terms of points!

Seem to be struggling to sign players better than what we have. Did we really need another right wing back to sit on the bench? Need at least 3 attacking players, 2 to start and one on the bench.
Another RWB was needed as we only had Gus. We do need another ST and a creative midfielder at least… I think letting Wes go was a mistake. Hopefully we can get pedder in and a striker.

Another RWB was needed as we only had Gus. We do need another ST and a creative midfielder at least… I think letting Wes go was a mistake. Hopefully we can get pedder in and a striker.
AM and ST is a must ,would also like a hard nut midfielder, someone different from what we have . Maher and co need to look at another game plan also i dont think having Bridge at # 10 will work, hes best out on the left .

Firstly…we have a stable, normal club so above anything else it’s a time for happiness and optimism. I was getting texts through the game from my nephew who’s got his first ever season ticket and I’m sure there’s plenty of others like that which shows us the future is bright.

So whilst we’d all like to hit the ground running and walk the league from day one we all know that isn’t how football (and especially Southend United) works.

Reality is we are probably a good month behind most other clubs in preparation and will have to build up to our best (and I’m assuming with a few more players to come in) so a bit of patience might be needed.

However we didn’t lose and had spells in the first half where we looked in control but faded second half, but Kev and the staff can be trusted to work out solutions going forward.

One thing that came across on the stream was that the crowd seemed a bit flat. Now that might be down to how the coverage was and the fact the commentary was too high in the mix and not allowing enough crowd noise through on the mics. Or maybe a lot of emotional energy was used up pre match with the whole relief of the new era? Any thoughts from you at the game on that?

Two things stood out today for me, bridge is only good on the wing, he might as well have not played today. Secondly, we need that forward thinking midfielder that passes forward and runs at defenders with the ball. Hopefully, Pedder is that man. York had Batty orchestrating everything, and midfielders running at us second half. We couldn't cope. Walker showed good signs. He nearly burst few a few times inside and outside the box. I'm surprised at some of the scores for Cardwell. I thought he had a great game until fading near the end. Waldron is clearly not fully fit just now, and couldn't beat some tiring defenders for pace. I thought our shape first half was excellent. Hat's off to their manager, as they ran at us second half and pulled us out of position. Shocking goal to give away though.

Firstly…we have a stable, normal club so above anything else it’s a time for happiness and optimism. I was getting texts through the game from my nephew who’s got his first ever season ticket and I’m sure there’s plenty of others like that which shows us the future is bright.

So whilst we’d all like to hit the ground running and walk the league from day one we all know that isn’t how football (and especially Southend United) works.

Reality is we are probably a good month behind most other clubs in preparation and will have to build up to our best (and I’m assuming with a few more players to come in) so a bit of patience might be needed.

However we didn’t lose and had spells in the first half where we looked in control but faded second half, but Kev and the staff can be trusted to work out solutions going forward.

One thing that came across on the stream was that the crowd seemed a bit flat. Now that might be down to how the coverage was and the fact the commentary was too high in the mix and not allowing enough crowd noise through on the mics. Or maybe a lot of emotional energy was used up pre match with the whole relief of the new era? Any thoughts from you at the game on that?
Because it was boring football.

Lots of negativity here which is understandable considering a late goal and all the new era now underway.

In the plus side I thought Coker’s ball in for GSMs goal was excellent, hope he can continue with that quality.

Collin made an fantastic point blank save (just before Yorks goal)

Our undefeated season is underway 😂

Was at the game and now watched the highlights. The latter confirmed, if it was needed, just how much York bossed the second half. Players running at us, with pace and no little skill. Sinclair and ANG caused us real headaches. TV said John-Lewis scored 7 in 17 starts last season. He was a real handful and an ideal sub to bully tiring defenders. What about taking a punt on him?

The signing of players with a forward - thinking mentality is now vital to get us moving forward with purpose. If we bust the budget to sign Tshimanga we need someone to provide the bullets. I don't think he would have made much difference yesterday with our current pattern of play. Early days of course but some tough-looking fixtures coming up. Don't want to be struggling for points early in a new season.

First half we did alright and just as well we went one up because I just couldn’t see us scoring and there lays the old problem again. Opening game last season we had fire in our bellies but it was sadly lacking yesterday but overall happy with a point in the end, could have been worse. Let’s see what Hartlepool brings.

As someone else said, I thought we looked decent for the first half an hour, but after that, York were in control so I am thankful to have come away with something out of that game. Said before the game when we were talking in the bar we thought they were two or three weeks off the pace with all the problems with training pitches at B&L, turns out that's exactly what Kev Maher said in his interview post match.

Kensdale seemed up for a row with just about any of his team-mates, Gubbins, Gus, Cav - what was that all about? I was really quite impressed with Ralph in that LWB role 1st half though, he was reminding us how good he is when fully fit. Trouble was, and this wasn't just him, people didn't seem to make themselves available for flick ons or passes. Some of the passing was woeful, while other times it was sublime - that ball from Collin to Ralph first half, for instance. Cardwell and Walker have a way to go to have a working partnership established, Walker looked great on the ball, but I don't think he produced a decent pass at the end of a move - have to give credit to York for the several times they defended really well against his runs though, with two of them on him shepherding him into a mistake and then coming away with the ball.

Bridge looked very out of sorts until moved back to LWB in the 2nd half, almost as if he didn't really know his role. Cards didn't look himself either.

Cav did a great job of putting a foot in to break things up, often coming away with the ball too. He ran Taylor, who was his usual solid self, close for MOTM for me.

No quibble on Gus' card, York pushed him to try and get him sent off later on. Thought he got in the way of Cardwell for a certain goal earlier on before his one, which was a lovely free kick and finish. Didn't think Gubbins was as bad as some people seem to, and if he was getting roasted, shouldn't Ralph have been helping more?

Collin - 7
Gus - 6.5
Taylor - 7.5
Kensdale - 6.5
Gubbins - 6.5
Ralph - 7
Cav - 7.5
Coker - 6.5
Bridge - 6
Walker - 6.5
Cardwell - 6

Subs:
Morton for Gubbins - 6.5
Waldron & Wood - not long enough to rate

Thought ANG made a massive difference for York when he came on, boy, has he bulked up and improved since he was here.

Officials - well, I thought Walker got given offside wrongly a couple of times in the 1st half, but that was my only real complaint. Decent enough.

Last edited:
1st half we looked solid enough. 2nd half seemed to run out of legs & didn't have a bodies to counter the changes made by York. York play nice football but it was copy & paste throughout the game pass round the back then a diagonal. We didn't seem to learn from that. Thought we lost the battle in the midfield trenches today, Miley seemed like a one man army in there with not enough support, slightly better when Morton was put there with him but it's lopsided having two lefties in there. Bridge definitely can't play the AM role, he was lost there. I'll be honest a point is a good result against this York team, 1st game of the season is out the way. Yes it wasn't the best but we didn't lose, long season ahead of us & with a few additions we should be right in the mix. Bare in mind a few "challengers" also seemed to struggle today. UTB

Was at the game and now watched the highlights. The latter confirmed, if it was needed, just how much York bossed the second half. Players running at us, with pace and no little skill. Sinclair and ANG caused us real headaches. TV said John-Lewis scored 7 in 17 starts last season. He was a real handful and an ideal sub to bully tiring defenders. What about taking a punt on him?

The signing of players with a forward - thinking mentality is now vital to get us moving forward with purpose. If we bust the budget to sign Tshimanga we need someone to provide the bullets. I don't think he would have made much difference yesterday with our current pattern of play. Early days of course but some tough-looking fixtures coming up. Don't want to be struggling for points early in a new season.

Just before they scored it looked like Crowther was coming on but that changed to Wood after they did. Kensdale showed his weakness (In the air both boxes) and would have been better just attacking the ball.

Also disappointing to see Walker flat footed when Cardwell cushion a header back across the 6yd box. But delighted with the pace and quality of Cokers free kick

Overall impressed with York. They certainly wont be scrapping to avoid relegation this season. Our performance was bit like the scoreboard. OK first half but then our timing seem to vanished

I wanted us to attack the South first half. Fed up with seeing and hearing even average away followings being the 12th man in the second half. Far to many points are dropped inn the last 10 at RH but not many won. Tough one next week.

York do their press so well and we really just couldn’t find an answer for it. Preparation for the season, or lack of rather may have played its part today.

They were high energy, played through our press well, and didn’t even have to look before sending their relentless barrage of diagonal balls into their boys occupying the wide forward spaces. They are well drilled and win more than they lose if they play like that.

As I say we really didn’t have an answer yesterday and just couldn’t get hold of the football, gubbins needs to think about how many times he clipped the ball straight back to York, and then not do that.

I’ll take a point to start the season with such a disappointing performance however we have to get someone a bit more athletic and dynamic in the centre of that park.

Great to be back watching the football at the hall and do you know what, we are unbeaten.

I notice a lot of “let’s just celebrate we’ve still got a club” and “it’s just one game” type posts and while true, let’s see how long that lasts!! Yes York were a decent well drilled team but they were beatable, as were lots of teams we faced last season.

This midfield situation needs sorting .. we need a Wes replacement and a player who can surge forward and link with our attackers .. asap. I get that yesterday Kev thought Bridge and Coker could do the job but Bridge especially.. well he looked like he was waiting at a bus stop most of the first half and the balance/cohesion on the left was missing. That’s usually our focal point for building attacks. Ralph/Wes/Bridge linked so well and knew where each other were, Gubbins just didn’t seem to know where to play it.

Last edited:
Really disappointing. As the game went on we couldn't keep up. Didn't appear fit enough.

Ralph at wing back and Bridge in a midfield 3 was totally ineffective. Kev should know better.

Gubbins got destroyed by everyone who run at him.

Desperately need strengthening with players who are better than what we currently have.

From the announcement of the line up I had a feeling it wouldn’t be the easiest of zafternoon. Squeezing Gubbins into the team and pushing Bridge into the centre of the park was baffling. How many times has Kev tried Bridge in the centre now and every time it doesn’t work!

Gubbins looked completely lost and out of place, he is not the left sided of a three, he was playing as if he was in a two at centre back. As others have said a performance he will want to forget! I think he would be more suited in the role that Kensdale plays. We always look more assured with Ralph in the left side of the 3.

Cav I thought was excellent in the first half, it was the Cav of old. He was everywhere and getting stuck in where others weren’t.

Taylor had a decent game.

Cardwell and Walker did their best but just weren’t getting the service. They are a fast front line and will do well as a partnership provided they get service.

York will be up there, not a bad side they have a lot of depth in their squad so many options available. Didn’t think much of Pearce who we were after but maybe it’s first game nerves for him. Expect with his positioning and the excellent Felix he will get goals.

It was great to be back, the stadium is already 100% better than 12 months ago. They haven’t had much time to get stuff sorted but what they’ve done in the short period is much appreciated. I assume as the season goes on we will see the improvements and tarting up of the old girl!

Will be interesting to see if we can stay around the 7000 mark for our next load of games or if there was a large amount of day trippers.

Lots of work to do on and off the pitch but in Kev and COSU we trust. Don’t see why wouldn’t be in the play offs with a couple more signings.

Back