• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

LAppreciate this will probably be unpopular but I think the booing at the end and the constant jeering whenever Collin gets the ball are counter productive. I’m as fed up as anyone but don’t think it’ll do any good.

Every single one of them deserved to be booed today including the management team. Completely unacceptable performance and it isn’t exactly a rarity at the moment.

Kev needs to explain the absence of Pepple. If he's managing an injury then fair enough. If not then he needs to be starting ahead of Bonne who after some near misses in of his early sub appearances hasn't looked likely to break his duck any time soon.
Walker and Bonne are probably costing a lot of money so will have to be his first choice - however they might make him fall on his sword.

Can't add anything else to the above, except I am now in the position that this system does not suit the players so it changes, if not then the manager has too!
Do you honestly think a manager change will change anything ?
You may get the new manager bounce, but then what , change it again .
We have an average set of players some come up a league who need to build confidence, yes I agree that comes from manager/ coaches etc, but we need to stop this we are big club crap. We are now a struggling side , pay your money and show your disappointment but changing the manager will make little difference.
Cannot blame Ron anymore, we need a reality check and first thing we have a club which at one point was never on the cards
Believe in the process with COSU and the staff we have, how many managers need to go before a minority is satisfied

Stunned. And then it was easy to point out what was wrong. So many players out of form at the same time. So negative when a goal down, sideways, sideways and back to Collin, Ggrrr. The tallest player left unmarked...Twice, FFS. Missed chances. The decision making sometimes was like they had been smoking the funny stuff.
Hats off to Maidenhead, they played a basic 442, and everyone knew their job, and they certainly did a job on us. Their keeper made a few blinding saves as well.
Why is 442 basic? Do people say it because it is oh so fashionable to play 532?
Tactics need to change and change now as we are spiralling down this league.
It might also be an idea to have the players names on the front of their shirts as well, since we are currently playing like eleven random strangers.

We have an average set of players some come up a league who need to build confidence, yes I agree that comes from manager/ coaches etc, but we need to stop this we are big club crap. We are now a struggling side , pay your money and show your disappointment but changing the manager will make little difference.
Cannot blame Ron anymore, we need a reality check and first thing we have a club which at one point was never on the cards
Believe in the process with COSU and the staff we have, how many managers need to go before a minority is satisfied
I agree with most of this this but we have a set of bang average players but most of these players are Maher signings so the buck falls on mahers head

Having seen them play many times I did wince a little for you guys when you signed Bonne and Moncur, both decent players on their day but not the sort of lads who will battle in a struggling side. They both like to be loved and admired by the fans in a successful side, but they are not fighters who react well to teams struggling for their rhythm and getting abuse about it. No offence but they have dropped to this level for a reason, which is way below what they are capable of, but I think you can now see why they struggled to find another club. Hope things improve both for you and us, we are not as bad as previous seasons but still struggling for consistency. Good luck folks.

well that was fun - I knew we were in trouble when we were making Nathan Ferguson look good.

Next week I would seriously start the 7 subs from today - if our so called first eleven aren’t performing then why not give them a chance.

Maybe it will give the others a kick up the bum.

Plus we never get past the first round anyway so what have we got to lose.

Random thoughts from today:

Why did he bring on 2 defenders at 2 nil down?
What does Jack Wood have to do to get on the pitch?
What influence do Currie and Benno have during games - is it Kevs way only?
What are the 3 amigos not seeing that 5000 odd fans are - for example Bonne was poor so why not get him off earlier?

MotM: Pepple in his cameo for at least putting himself about a bit and getting stuck in.

Taylor was ok as well.

To think, there are still people who stay and applaud that ****ing **** every week.

I'm sorry, but the straw the broke the camels back was seeing Kev take off the woeful Bonne (about 70 mins too late) and bring on Gubbins....FFS - let's make sure we hold on to a 2-0 defeat.

I'm hearing the same clichés and excuses from Maher every week now.

I'm very very angry at that performance. We are in serious trouble. Anybody who says otherwise needs a psychiatric assessment.

Maher obviously cares, he did a good job last season under extreme circumstances, acted with integrity throughout and his man management / leadership was admirable. Those are the positives of his management. Unfortunately on the other side he is stubborn, he lacks tactical nous, his selections, in game management and transfer business (that’s not all on him either) is repeatedly poor. His loyalty to certain players will get him the sack eventually

Last edited:

That's the million dollar question isn't it? The answer is, you'd have to hope so. What we do know is Kev is very stubborn in the way he sets his team up and the instructions he gives them. A system that in the past has worked but as of right now, it isn't getting the best out of the players we've got. A new manager may come in and along with his staff, might just have a different idea as to how to set up and play.

We may have an average set of players, but at the moment we are playing well below average and are in serious danger of a relegation battle.

Even with these set of players, playoffs should be a minimum - if we get someone in who makes us average, that will be a huge improvement on what we're getting at the moment!!!

I'm sorry, but the straw the broke the camels back was seeing Kev take off the woeful Bonne (about 70 mins too late) and bring on Gubbins....FFS - let's make sure we hold on to a 2-0 defeat.
lol that’s exactly what I said at the time

Awful simply awful. There can be no more excuses, that wasn’t preseason issues anymore, it wasn’t delayed takeovers, it wasn’t transfer embargo’s, it wasn’t missing key players through injury / suspension. That squad today should be beating that Maidenhead team who themselves offered nothing but walked away with an easy as you like 2 : 0 win. There is absolutely nothing in midfield for anyone to play off, nobody shows for a pass, no movement off the ball, all anyone can do is go backwards as that’s all that’s on offer. Forson and Walker seemed the only ones 1st half with any forward momentum, but nobody else showed anything. How Husin constantly gets 90 minutes I don’t know, Moncur has become the player we were warned about and Bridge has had his day I feel. Bonne was awful today having defended him last week, but he won nothing and did nothing all game.

More worryingly I don’t understand our game plan anymore, all the possession stuff just doesn’t get us anywhere, at least last year there were overlaps and some forward momentum, but this year it gets us nowhere other than back to Collin continually. As for the subs, Morton for Moncur I get, but after that I couldn’t tell you what formation we were playing or who was really playing where, it was just throwing random bodies on the pitch.

Seriously worrying times at the moment as I can’t see how we break this, but I know somewhere in Benfleet an old man is most probably ****ing himself laughing at all this !

Walker was the best of the bunch today. I don’t think Bonne wants to be here. I feel like he’s here because he has no choice and no other mug wants him.
Maher reckoned he had been mucked about for the last two years, and I wonder whether that's taken its toll?
That said, I'd be setting the Garmin to 150bpm minimum to show what I was really made of.
He might claim he's not getting the service, so's he'd better do something about it himself!

I’ll make 3 predictions which I hope are wrong.

- Bonne wont score more than 5 in league

- Maher, Benno, Currie & Still won’t all be here by Xmas

- GSM will be next to go, unfortunately by February

Back