• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

Taking an attacking player off and replacing with a defender whilst 2 nil down is straight out of the Molesey play book. They must have gone to the same academy
To be fair that wasn't all he did at that time otherwise that would be totally bizarre to increase the number of players defending and decrease numbers attacking. The pack was shuffled with Bridge moving more attacking. Not sure it was particularly effective, but then again neither was Bonne.

We've been saying for weeks we need new faces, surely Kev hasn't only just realised that?
For goodness sake, we have got new faces, loads of them recently. It strikes me that Kevin was just desperate for numbers, that we brought in players who were not suited to our style of play, and even one or two who were probably just desperate for a pay packet.
I think that poor recruitment is one of the main causes of our plummet down the table.
We need to be far more meticulous in who we bring into the club from now onwards.

Well that wasn't good was it, although bizarely we could have got something out of the game bar their keeper pulling of some crucial saves.

Few points of note from watching that dross again:

• Kev and his team have managed to assemble a squad with zero leadership qualities among them. There was not one leader on the pitch today, look at the body language of every player when the chips are down. They all go hiding or arm waving. This is the biggest issue of all for me.
  • We play predictable, safe football which is easy to defend against. We're all crying out for a 'Plan B' but I couldn't even tell you what our 'Plan A' is. It genuinely looks like we make it up as we go along. We have no style or tempo to build around.
  • Players are either not bothering to brake between the lines or are being told not to. The defence play sideways to each other and then go long or backwards. No one drives into midfield, nor anyone drops back to pick the ball up between the lines to drive forward with it. As a result no cohesion in our play and I'm baffled as to why that is. It's football 101 from junior level. It's about being brave on the ball, although i've probably answered my own question above with the lack of leadership

I know we've had some serious on the pitch issues to face rececently, but none of that has any relevence to the basic things mentioned above, and unless some serious changes in personnel (players or managment) happen I struggle to see how we get out if it.

We've seen this slippery slope a million times before in recent years, and we all know by now how that ends.......

I think King Kev may have lost the dressing room a bit? We’ve not been great so far this season, but it’s got a lot worse since the Kensdale debacle and a few snipets I’ve heard around that would back that claim up.

I’d be dropping Collin, Bridge, Husin, Bonne, & maybe even Moncur for the cup game next week and see what the back ups can do.

Potentially even need to tweak the system, we aren’t good/brave enough to play 352 in an attacking way so despite all the 352 apologists claims it’s the only way to play, it’s too negative and predictable.

I’m not Kev out and hope I’m wrong on my claim, but something needs to change ASAP, we are bang out of form and 2 points above the drop zone!

We may have an average set of players, but at the moment we are playing well below average and are in serious danger of a relegation battle.

Even with these set of players, playoffs should be a minimum - if we get someone in who makes us average, that will be a huge improvement on what we're getting at the moment!!!
Why should we be in the play off, a part from perhaps 3-4 players who would get into top 6 teams and that includes the bench

I’m quite relaxed about this and today’s result I’ve been mocked and ridiculed for quite sometime for what you call my ‘negative’ comments about our chances and the team thats been built … all that’s happening are the chickens are all coming home to roost, year on year lack of ‘proper’ investment in the squad has left us with a bunch of part time standard players loosing to part time clubs .. I love Kevin Maher and couldn’t imagine post Kevin Maher period … he simply has to get it right , but all I see around us are up and coming managers who are better than him with a better eye for talent .. I’m sorry but I simply don’t buy all the John still eye for talent bollox… where is it then ? Because ok looking at a bunch of players who are simply not good enough for semi pro football … there’s only one way we are getting out of this league and that’s investment , **** painting the bars , putting chips in the cafe and changing the carpets in the lounges … performance =results =bums on seats = more income = bigger budgets … stop ****ing around with panic buys and half chances and start acting like a club that has just been brought out by a gaggle of millionaires ( because that’s what they are). The players we have aren’t good enough yes some are legends like Husin, but he’s not good enough at his best alongside people who are better than him maybe but he’s not , Morton not good enough , crowther not good enough Colin not good enough , bridge not good enough , moncur not good enough Boone not good enough … you simply aren’t winning games carrying that many pasangers sadly .. this standard big strong and ultimately fast lads will get you results .. we have a group of runts and whimps .. but nothing I’ve not said before … and remember it’s only my opinion. It’s not real

I think this is our current level, we have to accept it. Until there’s a shake up we have to resign ourselves to this. Last season was a fluke, but took a lot out of the squad mentally.

We as supporters have expected miracles since the take over (I’m guilty of this). Like the rest of the club, the squad needs a proper clear out and rebuilding from the ground up.

Did anyone else think M'head should have been wearing their 2nd strip? for me their shirt was too black and similar to our strip.
Ref was very poor and again inconsistant.
Both goals from set pieces and very poor marking and movement.
Walker was okay BUT should have scored twice, Bonne? needs to work harder and is living on reputation.
Pep looked strong for his cameo.
Gus booked so now suspended, I feared he would get sent off.
The game plan is clear but not being acted on, Kev is as frustrared as anyone by the slow ball, side ball stuff BUT it is HIS JOB to make the mind set/confidence etc changes and get everyone doing what they are supposed to.
KAF showed a few bits but often was missing and left a hole in the middle, as did Moncur, with only Noor sticking to his role: we are SO missing Cav & Coker who do what needs doing FOR THE TEAM, including defending set pieces, where Cards is a HUGE miss & Bonne doesn't do it atm.
Lots of work and truths needed in the training.

Last edited:
We've been saying for weeks we need new faces, surely Kev hasn't only just realised that?
I don't think it's a case of just realising it, I expect he was looking to the EFL transfer window in January to bring in and most likely ship out because realistically from the financial aspect we can't do one without the other, I believe it's this he refers to has having to accelerate which would mean some out the door presumably to either NL or NLS/NLN clubs, we than have to look to pay a market rate to EFL or NL club to bring in better and that will require that bit of flexibility in the transfer budget that Justin made reference to in the podcast for Shrimperscast. Simple really 🫣

I think most of the things that could be said about our performance have been said. That simply wasn’t good enough and Kev knows it, especially after the reaction of the West stand afterwards.

All this DD the football department showed and that bore so much fruit initially, emphasis being on spirit and character as well as talent. Stan leaves and within months we’re signing the likes of Bonne/Moncur who’ve seen their best days and are clearly luxury players with no fight….all the spirit and energy and camaraderie from last season seems to have disappeared. We just aren’t clicking.

Heads are down. Bridge & Husin look lost. The two players who played with a bit of oomph and looked to get the ball moving forward didn’t even play a full 90 (Pepple and KAF). We blatantly needed to attack .. we were losing .. and Wood stays on the bench but two defenders come on.

What in the **** is going on?? It needs sorting quickly whatever it is. I’ve always been a fan of Kev but today was concerning.

For goodness sake, we have got new faces, loads of them recently. It strikes me that Kevin was just desperate for numbers, that we brought in players who were not suited to our style of play, and even one or two who were probably just desperate for a pay packet.
I think that poor recruitment is one of the main causes of our plummet down the table.
We need to be far more meticulous in who we bring into the club from now onwards.
Agree, and its quite concerning considering the management were constantly saying that 'getting the right players' was at the forefront of our new philosophy.

Bonne and moncur have been very poor signings and havent bought any calmness, togetherness or leadership, grit or guile precisely the qualities you want an experienced player for. Their signings reek of desperation and a panicked knee jerk betrayal of their principles.

It speaks volumes that id rather get rid of most of our new signings and have wes fonguck back 😬

I’m quite relaxed about this and today’s result I’ve been mocked and ridiculed for quite sometime for what you call my ‘negative’ comments about our chances and the team thats been built … all that’s happening are the chickens are all coming home to roost, year on year lack of ‘proper’ investment in the squad has left us with a bunch of part time standard players loosing to part time clubs .. I love Kevin Maher and couldn’t imagine post Kevin Maher period … he simply has to get it right , but all I see around us are up and coming managers who are better than him with a better eye for talent .. I’m sorry but I simply don’t buy all the John still eye for talent bollox… where is it then ? Because ok looking at a bunch of players who are simply not good enough for semi pro football … there’s only one way we are getting out of this league and that’s investment , **** painting the bars , putting chips in the cafe and changing the carpets in the lounges … performance =results =bums on seats = more income = bigger budgets … stop ****ing around with panic buys and half chances and start acting like a club that has just been brought out by a gaggle of millionaires ( because that’s what they are). The players we have aren’t good enough yes some are legends like Husin, but he’s not good enough at his best alongside people who are better than him maybe but he’s not , Morton not good enough , crowther not good enough Colin not good enough , bridge not good enough , moncur not good enough Boone not good enough … you simply aren’t winning games carrying that many pasangers sadly .. this standard big strong and ultimately fast lads will get you results .. we have a group of runts and whimps .. but nothing I’ve not said before … and remember it’s only my opinion. It’s not real
Our recruitment this summer has been disappointing so far that is for sure.

Hillson - Not played but only non-contract
Wind - Barely appeared but with GSM our top scorer that is hardly surprising
Walker - Injured for most of the season but hasn't looked like the pure goalscorer we were hoping for yet in the appearances he has made
Bonne - Awful, possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen pull on a Southend shirt.
Pepple - Bang average
Moncur - Yet to see much from him or have him control a game like we were hoping

Brass tacks...if this was anybody other than Kevin Maher, they would have been picking up their P45 by now. No question.
The biggest concern for me is that sentiment and blind loyalty is going to keep this agony going indefinitely.
But if you don’t clap the players and be positive when they have been **** RH won’t be a fortress 🙄

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Gus picked up his 5th yellow, suspended for Rochdale? Brilliant.

Less said about the performance the better. If Kev wasn’t a club legend he’d be getting scolded wouldn’t he? Change needed.

Did anyone else think M'head should have been wearing their 2nd strip? for me their shirt was too black and similar to our strip.
Ref was very poor and again inconsistant.
Both goals from set pieces and very poor marking and movement.
Walker was okay BUT should have scored twice, Bonne? needs to work harder and is living on reputation.
Pep looked strong for his cameo.
Gus booked so now suspended, I feared he would get sent off.
The game plan is clear but not being acted on, Kev is as frustrared as anyone by the slow ball, side ball stuff BUT it is HIS JOB to make the mind set/confidence etc changes and get everyone doing what they are supposed to.
KAF showed a few bits but often was missing and left a whole in the middle, as did Moncur, with only Noor sticking to his role: we are SO missing Cav & Coker who do what needs doing FOR THE TEAM, including defending set pieces, where Cards is a HUGE miss & Bonne doesn't do it atm.
Lots of work and truths needed in the training.
FYI - Coker returning to full training Monday and should be available next weekend.

Eh? Their keeper made like 3 excellent saves at least.

If you're going to comment, at least watch the game.
Last Season we just hoped for COSU to take over - now some "Supporters" want Maher to be sacked. I come from Colchester every game and will do so until there is no SUFC. This is a rebuilding period - the Club need to release some serious funds so Kevin Maher et al can get some quality in. No has beens or wanna be's but proper players.

Back