• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Very good summary of his 11 minites of drivel. However it does explain why Rochdale were so sh*te in the 1st half. I suspect most of their team dropped off during his inspiring pre-match talk so it's not surprising that they played the 1st half like they were asleep.

As for the extra 25 secs, it's a shame he can't count either as I've just looked at the replay on NLTV & Walker put the ball in on 47:13. Perhaps if they hadn't put the ball out of play 4 times in added time the pace of the game would have been higher the the ref would have blown up earlier. I very much doubt any ref blows up dead on the added minutes.

It was part of a thread eariler in the week but just for information all the full match replays seem to have been uploaded on NLTV about 8am & they are free to watch so if you do want to see the game over you simply need to log in.

Isn't it suppose to be a minimum of 2 mins. So 13 seconds over is well within the rules. Can't be arsed listening whinging managers but who on here wasn't expecting more from them in the last 20. As they fizzled out without urgency even in injury time it seemed like a mirror of us in our worst home performances this season.

This is from the Rochdale fans forum. A case of the boot being on the other foot.....?

"The frustration around the stadium is palpable and it's becoming a staple diet of watching football at the COA. McNulty likes his facts and figures, yesterday was another home game where we hardly registered a shot on target. Southend's keeper didn't have a shot to save until well into the second half, we played some lovely little triangles around our own penalty area though, that would have pleased the manager. The longer the first half progressed the more Southend grew in confidence and the goal was definitely coming. These are lower league footballers, they are being asked to play a style of football that they can't produce on a consistent basis, it's too intricate and i don't think their levels of fitness are at a high enough level to play a high tempo, two touch style of football, theres no fluidity in our play because everything is too slow. I sometimes also wonder if the ****ing about with the ball at the back is designed to give them all a breather. Whatever the reasons, it's not happening at home and i think it's the management duo who need to shoulder the criticism for that probably more than the players. We've got some big home games coming up now, games that will involve winning the battles and realising the important of the fixture, let's see how we approach those games."
And equally as ridiculous.

They have even less to moan about than our fans do.

They were 5th, I think, before today's game? Having come out of an existential crisis recently. They're not huge spenders, and I'd say they're a smaller club than we are. Yes, some frustration with their performance yesterday merited, and we'd feel the same. Generally, though, they're exactly where they should expect to be.

Yep

Although some of the disappointment might relate to this as a striker

Appearances 9 = GOALS NIL
Officially now the smallest squad in the league. Hope we can keep up the tempo without more injuries or suspensions as we go again on Wednesday

Little wonder poor old Wood has to remain staring at wooden bum splinters when we could otherwise have loaned him out?
We win away at where we weren't predicted to come away with anything apart from a drubbing ( even though I had the correct score in the PL) and you are whinging.

Might have been said elsewhere, but can we go 442 and have Wind as RB and GSM as a winger?
It just ain't gonna happen, and nor should it.

Everything about our identity and the way our build-up play runs is built on a foundation of 3 at the back and 3 in midfield.

Besides, most teams at this level also play with 3 in the middle, so switching to a flat 2 in the middle would see us get overrun in midfield almost every game, which happened pretty much everytime we experimented with it (or were forced into it?) early in Maher's reign.

It just ain't gonna happen, and nor should it.

Everything about our identity and the way our build-up play runs is built on a foundation of 3 at the back and 3 in midfield.

Besides, most teams at this level also play with 3 in the middle, so switching to a flat 2 in the middle would see us get overrun in midfield almost every game, which happened pretty much everytime we experimented with it (or were forced into it?) early in Maher's reign.
i'm no tactician, but if you've 2 effective wingers, one of the 3 opposition midfielders would be pulled out of place, thus opening space. the advantage we would have if GSM was on one side, we know the opposition would be 'forced to go elsewhere?
All formations have a weakness, just finding the way round or through, or over it?

Enjoying a weekend in London, but kept an eye on the score which is pinned on my phone as we walked down and queued at Dishoom in Shoreditch. Just added to the celebration and topped the weekend off.

Really pleased that Walker scored, as he looks like he will be the fox in the box we have been missing for a while. Also great to read the comments on Wind's debut. And all the positivity.

Onto Aldershot, where hopefully we can avoid defeat, keep the points ticking over and hopefully win.

Great vid from Pip, crowd was fantastic in their backing of the team and Kev which is great to see.
Mmmmm, Dishoom.

Sounded much more positive from reading the comments on here but it does still worry me as we can almost always raise our game against the better teams in the league (Gateshead aside) but we can't seem to adapt or have a plan B to play against the rubbish teams who bully and intimidate us.

Great 3 points and hopefully next Saturday will prove me wrong 🤞💙

Sounded much more positive from reading the comments on here but it does still worry me as we can almost always raise our game against the better teams in the league (Gateshead aside) but we can't seem to adapt or have a plan B to play against the rubbish teams who bully and intimidate us.

I think the performance was abit better than before - the high press was back first half. But the main difference was the result - remember we're the worst team in the world if we lose (even if unlucky) and the world beaters when we win.

Last edited:
Nathan Ralph is possibly not quite up to Bridge as an attacking force but he is 10 times as effective as a defender and that swap has made a big difference at the back I think. Unfortunately for Jack its going to take an injury to get back in I imagine. Ralph can get the odd goal too as his header just wide yesterday showed.

I think Ralph has scored as many if not more than Bridge from open play since the start of last season. Take away the penalties from Bridge and he hardly ever scores as an attacker.

Neither player is a right back or a right midfielder. It may work, but I don't think it's something you can just try, without spending time working on it.

Personally, if Wind was that good, he should keep the shirt, and though it might be harsh, with GSM on the bench.
Hmmm...an interesting problem. Imagine! We have two top players, but can't play both! I'm not sure I'd buy into that...

For me it was an "away game" performance against "the right type of side" ..........

Not quite sure how this translates into home performances against teams that you mention above.

Aldershot (away) and Tamworth (home) might provide some answers. [questioning face]

Isn't it suppose to be a minimum of 2 mins. So 13 seconds over is well within the rules. Can't be arsed listening whinging managers but who on here wasn't expecting more from them in the last 20. As they fizzled out without urgency even in injury time it seemed like a mirror of us in our worst home performances this season.

A minimum of two and refs are encouraged not to do “ Clive the whistle”s any more when there is an attacking move in progress.

Exactly this, well said. Wide midfielders rarely receive the ball with space in front of them, whereas a full back or wing back does. It is a totally different skill required to play there versus right back or right wing back.

So many fans - many on here - think if a right back has some attacking contribution they can just play midfield. It's never that easy.
I agree players like their comfort zones, but because GSM gets forward as much as possible; I'm confident he could play a deep lying midfield role.
One thing that does seem clear after yesterday's debut from GW.
He or GSM wouldn't want to warm the bench for very long.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back