• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher was delighted with how well George Wind performed in his first start for the Shrimpers.

Wind produced a fine performance at right wing-back to help Blues bag a 1-0 win at Rochdale.

And Maher was impressed with his summer signing’s display.

“He did very well,” said Maher.

“You can see defensively he’s very good in one on one situations and he showed good composure for his first game too.

“We’re delighted with how he’s performed.”

Wind replaced the suspended Gus Scott-Morriss at Spotland but must now wait and see whether or not he keeps his place in the starting line-up for Wednesday’s match at Aldershot Town.

But Maher has welcomed the selection headache.

“It gives us competition which is what we want,” said the Blues boss.

“We haven’t had too much of it since the start of the season, likewise with Collin in goal but Zach coming in gives us that.

“I still think we’re light on a couple of bodies but if we can get a couple in alongside the players we have coming back from injury it makes us stronger again.”

JOSH Walker scored the only goal of the game to secure Southend United a 1-0 win at Rochdale on Saturday.

And, in many ways, it was a fitting way for Shrimpers boss Kevin Maher to celebrate two big landmarks.

The hard-fought victory was Maher’s 150th game in charge of the National League club and came on the same weekend he brought up his third anniversary of taking on one of the hardest jobs in football.

So much has happened since Maher’s appointment that there has often been little time to take a step back, evaluate and analyse exactly what has happened.

But sometimes you need to do that to realise just how far things have come.

Back in 2021, Maher inherited a toxic club which was struggling to survive both on and off the pitch.

And, while he was able to soon bring pride, passion and a real sense of togetherness back into the team, issues off the field continued to undermine and overshadow the work being done.

Now, I am pretty certain everyone reading this does not need reminding just how bad things got and exactly how much went wrong.

But, having been there 24/7 every step of the way, I honestly believe Southend United would not still exist without Maher’s guidance.

Yes, others deserve a big mention including chief executive Tom Lawrence and the supporters who backed the side in big numbers.

However, Maher’s part in the club escaping a seemingly never ending crisis should not be forgotten and it should never be understated either.

Maher was the glue which stuck the dressing room together.

Even when with no strikers, no goalkeeper or one substitute the Shrimpers never gave up and it was very much Maher’s ability to galvanise those around him which helped that to happen.

Had Maher walked away, I am certain several of the players would have done too.

With the embargo in place, those departures would have hit the club hard and made relegation a real possibility.

That, in turn, would arguably have made Blues a less attractive option for prospective buyers and it is very unlikely there would have been a happy ending.

As it was, Maher gave hope to everyone connected with the Shrimpers and has probably gone through more in three years than most managers have to ever endure.

Even at the start of this season Maher was thrown a series of unexpected curve balls which led to him having to rebuild what had previously been a settled and successful side.

Painful defeats have been endured during an uncertain and inconsistent period but there are now glimpses Blues have come out the other side.

And there was something very Southend about Saturday’s success.

Backed on by brilliant travelling support against a side starting the day fifth in the standings, Blues fought hard all over the pitch to come out on top against the odds.

All over the pitch, players produced committed performances but there was an intelligence to their play too as the Shrimpers had clearly planned just where and when to put pressure on a Rochdale side eager to play out from the back at all times.

Blues stood up to the task well with Harry Taylor again outstanding on the right hand side of the back three and George Wind also producing an impressive display in his first start since signing for Billericay Town in the summer.

Further forward, Bim Pepple posed problems with his pace and power and ,alongside him, Walker was in the right place at the right time to fire home what proved to be the only goal of the game.

As a result, Blues have now won back to back matches for the first time this season and appear to again have a far more settled and structured way about them both with and without the ball.

Things again appear to be heading in the right direction once more but just as defeats should not bring total despair, victories should not result in outlandish expectations either.

Put simply, the Shrimpers are making progress after years of misery and that, more than anything else, succinctly sums up the job Maher has done.

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher was full of praise for Harry Taylor following the defender’s impressive display at Rochdale.

Taylor’s fine performance on the right hand of Blues’ back three helped to secure a hard-fought 1-0 win.

And Maher was quick to highlight Taylor’s display.

“He was incredible and he’s just so consistent,” said Maher.

“He goes under the radar with how he is, but he does it right every single day with how he trains.

“He sets an example to everyone and that position he's in suits him perfectly.

“With Windy (George Wind) ahead of him they did brilliantly but he's so consistent and I thought he was outstanding today.”

ROCHDALE boss Jimmy McNulty was angry with the timing of Southend United’s winner on Saturday.

Josh Walker bagged the only goal of the game for the Shrimpers on the stroke of half-time.

But McNulty was unhappy play was allowed to continue beyond the allotted two minutes of injury time.

“I had my time to calm down and asked the fourth official why the game was still allowed to be playing that long after the two minute period,” McNulty told the club’s YouTube channel.

“He told me and I haven’t checked it yet that Southend scored 20 to 25 seconds over the allotted time.

“He said the referee can’t stop play when a team is where they were on the pitch because imagine what would the reaction would be.

“But for me, why does it matter what the reaction would be?

“Interpretation isn’t fair. The officials are there for the laws of the game and time is fair.”

As such, McNulty felt the game should have stopped before the Shrimpers scored.

“If we were about to put the ball in the net or they are but time is up then it’s fine,” said McNulty.

“Time is time and the clock is fair so officiate by the laws of the game.

“The fourth official said time was up but that he understood why the ref played on but I don’t.

“I’m baffled, when time is up blow the whistle.”

However, the Shrimpers made the most of the extra time played to pick up a win McNulty felt was not a fair reflection of the game.

“It’s difficult because it’s not a 1-0 Southend game,” said McNulty.

“It wasn’t a good Rochdale performance but it’s not a 1-0 Southend game and when it’s scored when time is up and we should be on our way back into the changing room it’s hard to take.”

But McNulty also admitted his own side were not at their best.

“I just don’t think we performed well and we weren’t very good,” said McNulty.

“The most disappointing aspect was that we lost the chance to use the skills of our very good players by not knowing what we should do.

“We didn’t play how we practise, and it was one of the most challenging games for me from a coaching perspective.

“We didn’t look overly threatening at all and the game had a disappointing tinge to it.

“Southend didn’t have much at all in the game and it was a pretty poor game.

“On the balance of play as a neutral and not being Rochdale affiliated I may even think a fair result was a draw to be honest.

The defeat saw Rochdale slip to sixth in the standings and McNulty is now targeting a return to winning ways against Halifax Town on Tuesday night.

“Football challenges you like this so on we go,” said McNulty.

“Whenever we don’t play well I find it hard to feel hard done by.

“We take the loss on the chin, we’ll be humble and go back to the training ground and try to be better.”

Lets put the boot on the other foot 4TH offical indecated there will be 2 mins of added time .Your team broke seconds after that time and your team had scored .I bet you wouldnt moan then would you .So stop throwing your toys out of your pram Your team lost get on with it .

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back