• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

This is from the Rochdale fans forum. A case of the boot being on the other foot.....?

"The frustration around the stadium is palpable and it's becoming a staple diet of watching football at the COA. McNulty likes his facts and figures, yesterday was another home game where we hardly registered a shot on target. Southend's keeper didn't have a shot to save until well into the second half, we played some lovely little triangles around our own penalty area though, that would have pleased the manager. The longer the first half progressed the more Southend grew in confidence and the goal was definitely coming. These are lower league footballers, they are being asked to play a style of football that they can't produce on a consistent basis, it's too intricate and i don't think their levels of fitness are at a high enough level to play a high tempo, two touch style of football, theres no fluidity in our play because everything is too slow. I sometimes also wonder if the ****ing about with the ball at the back is designed to give them all a breather. Whatever the reasons, it's not happening at home and i think it's the management duo who need to shoulder the criticism for that probably more than the players. We've got some big home games coming up now, games that will involve winning the battles and realising the important of the fixture, let's see how we approach those games."
Their away results are marginally better than home, neither are terrible!

Should have been clearer, I was listening via the internet, not BBC Essex on the radio. Sadly can't listen to BBC Essex on the radio up here in Worcestershire. Check the match thread, lots of us exiles had the same issue.
I listened to it on the BBC app no issues what so ever.

That's more like it. A great 3 points on the road against one of the better teams in this league. The defence was solid and all of the team worked hard. The front two are the pair we should use when possible as they actually look and are dangerous.

Well done to the following fans.

Bonne is a total waste of space IMO and one of the laziest players i have even seen in one of our teams. Goodship had more about him and that is saying something.
So not all of the team then 😜

Morton - was excellent, don’t think there was a stray pass. Keeps the ball moving and always available.

Wind - wow what a full debut. Quickest player in the squad and looks like he will become some player for us too.

Walker - always making sure he is in the box, he will get better and better the more games he plays

Bim - unsettled their defence with his willingness to chase everything. Has got to start every game for me.

Everyone else - really good performance, just what you need away from home. We just need to make sure we don’t continue to sit back so deep for so long.

I felt winning at eastleigh could be a little turning point. It's been a thing under kev, we do have a sticky spell here and there but those spells have always been followed by a decent run to compensate.
Two clean sheets for back to back wins. There'd be no surpries if we reeled off 4 on the spin now and climbed the table. Typically kev a co gets the Defense playing well again and I love the Duo of pepple and Walker.
Walker will score goals.
Definitely sensing that togetherness over the last two ges really shining through again.

I listened to on BBC radio had no reception problems and I thought the commentator didn’t get his name was excellent, ideal replacement for Nick Alliker.

Yep the new commentator I think he was called Nathen, was OK TBH.

Always commentating on how noisy / loud Southend United fans was , also read out towns on SUFC Flags in the away end ., while Joking about Glen's eyesight as he was struggling to read the flags ..lol

I liked him

Last edited:
I tend to agree with him, he was brought on to be a point in attack. He occupied defenders and stopped them committing forward to the attack.

He showed some half decent football nous to close the game out.

Is he the second coming of Cardwell? No, has he got ability? Yes.

Agree with this, I get everyone has their own opinions on players but there does seem to be an unfair criticism of Bonne irrespective of how he plays…at least 2 opposition managers singled him out as a threat after games and mcclean was praising him yesterday

Last edited:
Enjoying a weekend in London, but kept an eye on the score which is pinned on my phone as we walked down and queued at Dishoom in Shoreditch. Just added to the celebration and topped the weekend off.

Really pleased that Walker scored, as he looks like he will be the fox in the box we have been missing for a while. Also great to read the comments on Wind's debut. And all the positivity.

Onto Aldershot, where hopefully we can avoid defeat, keep the points ticking over and hopefully win.

Great vid from Pip, crowd was fantastic in their backing of the team and Kev which is great to see.

After Wind's 5 min camio in his first appearance. I said give "Wind a chance".
At last someone has listened.
Well done young man.
Exactly this, said the same after seeing his 5 minute performance , disappointed Kev stubbornly missed the opportunity to bring him on in previous games, would have possibly made the difference to our current points total
Cant see why Wind, Taylor and Gus cant be accommodated in the same side

Rochdale's manager Jimmy McNulty, Lol. Excuses galore, and no credit to the way Southend nullified their threat, and got the tactics spot on to cancel them out. He said Southend didn't have much at all, and Dale didn't play the way they practice. He said it should have been a boring draw. He blamed injuries, new players, changing the team. He thinks we scored 25 seconds after time was up. Quite angry about that. He also said it wasn't a 1-0 Southend game.

He forgets that all teams have injuries and new players. He forgets that unlike most clubs in this league, he has been able to buy some excellent players, and they now have a really strong squad. So he's blessed to have that money to spend which will probably buy them promotion this season. Why not stop moaning your bad fortune, and give Southend the credit they deserve for beating your team, at your ground. I suspect not many will do that this season.

Exactly this, said the same after seeing his 5 minute performance , disappointed Kev stubbornly missed the opportunity to bring him on in previous games, would have possibly made the difference to our current points total
Cant see why Wind, Taylor and Gus cant be accommodated in the same side
That could be an impressive Wind section on the right.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back